Wow ND to the ACC! Now what for the BE?

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

We have to get out of the Big East. The conference just turned in to CUSA. I hope Doug is on the phone with the Big 12, but I doubt it. Him and Judy seem overly committed to the Big East, unfortunately.

You're nuts to think they are just sitting back idly. Woolard may not be the most charismatic public speaker, but they guy is connected around the college athletics world. I bet he's trying everything in his power to ensure USF survives the upcoming round of realignment in the best way possible. USF just needs to worry about winning the Big East this year.

Yup

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

ND has been working on this deal with ACC and Big 12 for a while. The five ACC games will be split beyween NBC and ESPN, so expect NBC to pay around $25mil and ESPN around $15and mil.

The new $50 mil buyout was a suprise and needed Pitt and Cuse votes. When does that date start, we will find out soon BUT FSU might still swing $50 mil buyout. Rumor is UL proposed to pay FSU $20and million buyout with theirs if it was UL and FSU. Also rumor Big 12 $60would mil put back for expansion.

So its down to UL and FSU, unless ESPN and Big 121212 agree that USF and UL come but Big 1212 wants another ~20% for contract. Big 1212 would also not gift either team with buyout money like TCU and WVU, and would require the scheduled TV payoits. (50%,67%,85%,100% so 4 years )

So if its UL and FSU to Big 12, Uconn replaces FSU

If its UL, Usf to Big 12, then Uconn, RU, and GT to ACC to even out bball to 18

Stop being ridiculous, Big 12 will take UCF as FL school over USF or FSU.

No, no, no. UCF is headed to the SEC.

You misspelled NFC South

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

We have to get out of the Big East. The conference just turned in to CUSA. I hope Doug is on the phone with the Big 12, but I doubt it. Him and Judy seem overly committed to the Big East, unfortunately.

You're nuts to think they are just sitting back idly. Woolard may not be the most charismatic public speaker, but they guy is connected around the college athletics world. I bet he's trying everything in his power to ensure USF survives the upcoming round of realignment in the best way possible. USF just needs to worry about winning the Big East this year.

Hopefully Doug is busy in the background... otherwise we will be left in a glorified CUSA foreva

The best shot we have would be to get into the B12... the ACC does not want a 3rd Florida team...

• Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

This is that same guy who commented about ND to ACC

MHver3 â€@MHver3

Early feelers are that FSU still wants the move but will definitely need help with the exit fees. More help than WVU needed.

This is that same guy who commented about ND to ACC

MHver3 â€@MHver3

Early feelers are that FSU still wants the move but will definitely need help with the exit fees. More help than WVU needed.

Why take FSU for $50 million when you can get the bargain basement price of we'll pay our own exit fee for USF?

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Now Big East has an argument that ESPN is not negotiating in Good Faith. Should be able to terminate the 60 day exclusive rights clause and sign NBC deal right away. It will will come with large penalty clause or GOR, so would force UL, Butgers, and UConn to grab the bird(money) in hand vs waiting for the one in the bush.

Now Big East has an argument that ESPN is not negotiating in Good Faith. Should be able to terminate the 60 day exclusive rights clause and sign NBC deal right away. It will will come with large penalty clause or GOR, so would force UL, Butgers, and UConn to grab the bird(money) in hand vs waiting for the one in the bush.

That is ESPN's final swan song. Tear Louisville and who ever else out of the Big East before the NBC deal gets put in place. The window is closing so it will either happen quickly or it wont happen at all.

If ESPN truly wants to devalue the league beyond recognition, they'll give the Big12 the 20% they want to take the other teams.

• Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

IMO, ND made this move to ensure their relevancy and nearly ensure themselves a top 15 ranking every year. Just look at it this way. ND stays "independent" by playing 5 mediocre ACC teams every year and then scheduling the service institutions every year. That is a guaranteed 8 winnable games to start with every single year. You add in the Mich/MSU/USC rotation of games and they continue to be a top 15 team every year. ESPN will continue to pump the ACC as a major conference and give way to much credibility to their weak teams. So, ND keeps themselves relevant and respectable to the ESPN frenzied country. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Unfortunately if we do not move to the B12 we may be relegated to being

King-of-the-farmer-ted-2478618-100-100.jpg

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

if anything, it could potentially help USF's stance if the Big 12 ever came calling. They would very much like that Florida foothold, and adding USF and Louisville would bridge the gap to WVU and have that FL spot. USF wouldn't have any closer games than normal, but I'd definitely jump at a chance to play with a higher quantity of "big boy" programs, and flights to Texas > flights to snowy northeast.

man how i hope that would happen lol. although i don't know how good we would be playing Texas, OK, OK State, etc year in and year out. Hell we'd be Iowa State in terms of competitiveness lol.

yes and no. i mean, we struggle as it is now with the f;cking big east and can't win the conference. i wouldn't think usf is going to be a yearly top 1-2 team in the big [actual] 12, but they would always be competitive. we'd still get to play west virginia and louisville, possibly two of USF's REAL rivalries that have been borne over the last decade. and the big money alone would be great to help with recruiting, marketing, facilities (cue OCS thread), etc. plus, getting a few poundings from real teams (and not **** teams like pitt and uconn) like oklahoma and texas will toughen this program up. either catch up or bottom feed, and i don't think usf is willing to allow themselves that option. play the better teams to be the better team.

flights to stillwater, oklahoma - waco, texas - ames, iowa are not easier than flights to the northeast. not even close. wait until wvu fans can't get to 95% of their away games. they will be crazy expensive compared to pitt, louisville, etc.

we would be bottom half of conference. hell west virginia and tcu will be middle of the road in conference.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Points of interest:

• Notre Dame's NBC contract is up in 2014, when the new playoffs start, and those are designed to exclude people like ND who aren't part of the conferences that are supposed to have a shot.
  • Notre Dame is going to play 5 teams from the ACC...for the 2013 season if they pony up and get out of the BE...or for no seasons if they get out in 2014.

What I see happening is that Notre Dame pays the $5 million, maybe a little more than that to get out just under 27 months (July 1, 2014 is closer to 22-21 months), and will end up being a full ACC football member. They'll take advantage of the BCS setup for 2013 and ride it out, then in 2014, they go full ACC. Assuming the ACC decides to have a 9 game conference schedule, ND will be left with 3 spots to play it's perennial games with Navy, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue, and Army/Air Force. I expect them to either keep the yearly game with Michigan and/or Navy, and the rest get thrown into rotation. ND will be forced to join the ACC, as the new playoff and them being unable to get in without a conference championship isn't gonna cut it.

They are already playing Pitt yearly. Maybe the ACC will reshuffle it's divisions to suit ND's needs?

At that point, Louisville, UConn, and Rutgers are on the target list as team 16. If it's UConn or Rutgers, UL, UC, and USF become major targets of the big 12 looking to get back to 12..or possibly 14. Rutgers could end up on the big 10 radar once again. the big east is the only store left to shop at with decent pricing, as everyone else will follow suit with the ACC and jack up their exit fees.

here's to hoping they pick up UConn or Rutgers, and UL and USF are lucky enough to get invites to play on the great plains.

there is no incentive for any other conference but the big 12 to expand and that's only for a champ game which in sec is only worth $14m. any other conference would dillute their revenues with any further members.

Archived