Only Skip

Bull94

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Holtz didn't go for the throat? Did you guys watch the same game I did?

There were many deep pass plays called were BJ was running for his life and/or the pass fell incomplete. The TD Chatanooga scored was off of an interception from a pass well downfield. The playcalling was not conservative, the offense was unable to execute.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Bull94, gee, been watching for 3 years, eh?

Hell, that same year, we "struggled" against WKU (35-13) in their first year of FBS level football and managed to beat FSU 2 weeks later. We didn't exactly kick Wofford's teeth in either when we won 40-7.

I agree Skip doesn't have the killer instinct, but them hanging around wasn't a result of that. Maybe of us being "vanilla" but sadly enough, I think what we saw is what we'll get. (Looked pretty similar to the calls last year.)

what?? this is greek to me. 40-7 isn't kicking teeth in?

Like the previous poster said throwing the ball inside your own 20 with under 2 minutes to play in the half is beyond moronic.

And if he'd handed off 3 times there you'd have been ******** about not gong for the throat of an inferior opponent, because ******** is what you do .... Why anybody even bothers to try to engage you on stuff like this is mind boggling.

no I wouldn't. only our offensive coordinator thinks it's smart to drop back inside your own 20 with under 2 to play.

he did it against UF.it was picked and they scored changing the momentum. he did it against wvu. it was picked and they scored before the half and he did it against western kentucky and it was picked.

every single time I said he was a moron. not going for the throat is running 3 times into the line at the 50 with tons of time to go. or it's sitting on the ball and settling for a field goal when there is 20 seconds left in the half, you have 2 timeouts and it's 2nd down at the opponents 2 yard line. remember that genius move against cincy last year? what did we lose by? 4 points??

if you don't think that play calling is determined by the situation in a game then you are lost.

There were many deep pass plays called were BJ was running for his life and/or the pass fell incomplete. The TD Chatanooga scored was off of an interception from a pass well downfield. The playcalling was not conservative, the offense was unable to execute.

we had 31 carries for 85 yards. BJ averaged 7.4 yards per attempt. BJ was sacked twice. that's not aggressive play calling.

the pick was a 17 yard pass. picked at our 47 and returned to the 4. daniels was 13 of 16 in the first half.

• Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

we had 31 carries for 85 yards. BJ averaged 7.4 yards per attempt. BJ was sacked twice. that's not aggressive play calling.

the pick was a 17 yard pass. picked at our 47 and returned to the 4. daniels was 13 of 16 in the first half.

actually if you read the game notes we rushed for 121 yards, add BJ's sacks and Hopkins failed reverse you have 85 yards

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

hey- we sure kicked the pants off of FAMU last year----70-17 and we finished 5-7.

i think you all are reading way too far into this.

actually if you read the game notes we rushed for 121 yards, add BJ's sacks and Hopkins failed reverse you have 85 yards

wow impressive. 121 against a lower division cupcake. let me know when they start taking out reverse plays out of rushing statistics. it's nice when you only count positive plays.

hey- we sure kicked the pants off of FAMU last year----70-17 and we finished 5-7.

i think you all are reading way too far into this.

dude it's not the score that's concerning(although a properly prepared team with 16 returning starters should blow out a cupcake). it's the coaching methods that are a bother. especially on the offensive side of the ball. Fitch has no creativity and Holtz likes to sit on leads no matter how small. I guess i should not have been surprised after all he basically blamed our losses last year on the players execution and not his game management.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Fitch has no creativity and Holtz likes to sit on leads no matter how small. I guess i should not have been surprised after all he basically blamed our losses last year on the players execution and not his game management.

I can agree to a certain extent that our offense was way too vanilla ALL season last year. when it looks like we only have a playbook that is 2 pages long. but i also know that it was a brand new system from what 95% of that starting roster was recruited to play in. I was just as mad as anyone after that Miami loss when we never went for any of those 4th and shorts at midfield in the 2nd half in a defensive struggle.

But I have been around long enough to know that "creativity" can also be a bad thing. a la Rod Smith and Voodoo 5 vs Penn St.

I just want a Big East title while there is still a BCS tie in and that window is obviously almost shut. i think we have a good chance this year to do that and if it means stale, boring, ball control offense and play the heck out of the defensive side of the ball....then so be it.

in the NFL i have been a life long 49ers fan and I've seen some of the most exciting offenses known to man with the Bill Walsh- West Coast Offense. But last year we made it to the NFC Championship game with almost nothing on the offensive side of the ball but a bunch of FGs and no turnovers.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and I just want the Wins. This isn't a fashion show- its football.

Now quit ******** every step of the way and enjoy it- It could be worse- it could be April again.

Fitch has no creativity and Holtz likes to sit on leads no matter how small. I guess i should not have been surprised after all he basically blamed our losses last year on the players execution and not his game management.

I can agree to a certain extent that our offense was way too vanilla ALL season last year. when it looks like we only have a playbook that is 2 pages long. but i also know that it was a brand new system from what 95% of that starting roster was recruited to play in. I was just as mad as anyone after that Miami loss when we never went for any of those 4th and shorts at midfield in the 2nd half in a defensive struggle.

But I have been around long enough to know that "creativity" can also be a bad thing. a la Rod Smith and Voodoo 5 vs Penn St.

I just want a Big East title while there is still a BCS tie in and that window is obviously almost shut. i think we have a good chance this year to do that and if it means stale, boring, ball control offense and play the heck out of the defensive side of the ball....then so be it.

in the NFL i have been a life long 49ers fan and I've seen some of the most exciting offenses known to man with the Bill Walsh- West Coast Offense. But last year we made it to the NFC Championship game with almost nothing on the offensive side of the ball but a bunch of FGs and no turnovers.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and I just want the Wins. This isn't a fashion show- its football.

Now quit ******** every step of the way and enjoy it- It could be worse- it could be April again.

voodoo five wasn't creative. it was dumb beyond belief. there is a time and place for certain calls and that wasn't it. game situation is critical when considering play calling.

I agree there are many ways to skin a cat but if you don't have an effective offense then you won't win in the end.

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

I look at it a little bit differently. If our offensive line can't block an FCS defensive line, what's going to happen when FSU, Rutgers and Louisville gets a hold of them?

Archived