• Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

Bulls' first scrimmage proves to be a hit

By Jon Santucci

Posted August 14, 2012 at 1:15 a.m.

VERO BEACH — If one play can sum up South Florida's first scrimmage, it was a 21-yard run by backup quarterback Matt Floyd.

Floyd, who threw for 135 yards and a touchdown, saw a crease and took off up the middle toward the end zone. Just before reaching the goal line, defensive back Chris Bivins Jr. delivered a big hit, which left Floyd on the turf at the 1-yard line and his helmet spinning a few feet away.

The Bulls' scrimmage Monday at the Vero Beach Sports Village featured solid play from all three quarterbacks, depth at running back, a defense determined to get its hands on the ball and plenty of big hits.

"Overall, I did think it was physical," Bulls coach Skip Holtz said. "I thought it was very physical, knowing that we have been going at this for eight days. I thought it was extremely physical for a camp scrimmage. One thing that these players have shown me time and time again coming out here on the field, they love to play the game. They're physical. They run around, they play the game hard. They're communicating. They're talking.

"This was not a scheme scrimmage. This wasn't about, 'OK, we're trying to make first downs, move the ball, how many yards do we have? etc.' This was about evaluating the personnel as we try to put depth charts together."

The Bulls scored two touchdowns — one on a 16-yard pass from Floyd to receiver Ruben Gonzalez and the other a 22-yard pass from senior starter B.J. Daniels to a wide-open Chris Dunkley over the middle.

Each of USF's three quarterbacks — Daniels, Floyd and junior Bobby Eveld threw for more than 100 yards. Floyd started the day by completing his first 11 passes and finished 12-of-17.

"It felt really good," said Floyd, a redshirt freshman. "It's a lot easier out there and everything slows down when you know the plays a lot better, like I know now. It's actually easy out there when the line is setting up their blocks and the receivers are catching the football."

Daniels threw for 121 yards, one touchdown, one interception and added 53 rushing yards, while Eveld threw for 114 yards and an interception. Holtz said neither Floyd nor Eveld pulled away from the other in the competition for backup quarterback.

Running backs Marcus Shaw and Willie Davis each averaged more than 10 yards per carry. Shaw, a junior, had nine carries for 91 yards, including several nice runs late. Davis, a redshirt freshman, had five carries for 62 yards.

"I feel I had a pretty good performance, overall," Davis said. "The coaches said I pretty good job overall. They say just prove to them I'm ready to play, anytime my name is called upon. As you see, we have (seniors) Demetris Murray and Lindsey Lamar in front of me (on the depth chart), as well as Shaw. So, I'm just waiting on my turn."

The defense had three takeaways, including the two interceptions after deflected passes. Senior cornerback Kayvon Webster picked off after receiver Victor Marc bobbled the ball and Kenneth Durden intercepted a pass deflected by receiver Deonte Welch.

More from TCPalm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

Games coming soon.

Archived