Did We Have a Scrimmage Today?

Matt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Greg has a story and some video from the scrimmage.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I feel bad for Battles! He is always getting hurt.

Yes, too bad.

AUGUST 13, 2012

Backup QBs, RBs shine in first Vero scrimmage

VERO BEACH -- USF's first fall scrimmage was a chance for backups to make a case for the first depth chart, and several jumped at the opportunity as the Bulls got solid passing from quarterbacks Matt Floyd and Bobby Eveld and strong running from Marcus Shaw and Willie Davis.

"Standing back there, I thought both (quarterbacks) did some really good things. Both made really nice runs, made some really good decisions, didn't put the ball in danger," Holtz said. "I think both of them are having great camps. It's a heck of a competition going on with the two of them."

Floyd came out sharp, connecting on his first 11 passes and the scrimmage's first touchdown, a 14-yard pass to Ruben Gonzalez. Eveld started slow, with 9 yards on his first six attempts, but then hit his stride, with gains of 35 yards to Sterling Griffin, 24 yards to Terrence Mitchell and 27 to Chris Dunkley. All three quarterbacks hit more than half their attempts and topped 100 yards; starter B.J. Daniels had a 22-yard touchdown pass to Dunkley.

Shaw, entering camp as the No. 3 running back behind seniors Demetris Murray and Lindsey Lamar, rushed 10 times for 96 yards, and Davis, a redshirt freshman, made the most of his carries, getting 62 yards on five rushes.

"We're going to have to have some very unselfish skill players with the talent that we have," Holtz said. "We only have one football. Everybody can't catch 10 balls every game, everybody can't carry the ball 20 times. Everybody can't throw it X number of times. But when you have the competition which we're starting to get, the difference between starting or being a backup is a fine line."

The defense was opportunistic, with three interceptions all coming on deflected passes, by cornerbacks Kayvon Webster and Kenneth Durden and linebacker Hans Louis.

"I don't think we caught the ball very well today at the receiving group. We had three dropped balls that all were dropped/batted/deflected and end up being interceptions."

Of the true freshmen battling to play this fall, Holtz was impressed by tight end Sean Price and defensive end Eric Lee, and he wants to see more of weakside linebacker Tashon Whitehurst.

INJURY UPDATE: Backup running back Bradley Battles left the scrimmage with an ankle injury, and Holtz said he was concerned it could be a longterm injury. Others held out should only miss a few days - receiver D'vario Montgomery (shoulder), defensive end Aaron Lynch (concussion) and defensive tackle Todd Chandler (foot). ... Holtz said that junior college running back Mike Pierre is behind the other backs a bit because he didn't join the team until mid-summer, so redshirting is a possibility if he isn't among the top backs.

Posted by Greg Auman at 9:04:54 pm on August 13, 2012]

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/backup-qbs-rbs-shine-first-vero-scrimmage

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Coach Holtz referenced Lynch getting hurt, any news on this? We want him able to play if we are going through the waiver process with him.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Coach Holtz referenced Lynch getting hurt, any news on this? We want him able to play if we are going through the waiver process with him.

Must have posted at the same time, thanks.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Shaw has ALWAYS been electric. but the problem with him is holding onto the ball. There isn't a chance he sees the field unless he proves to Holtz that the fumbles are behind him.

I would love to see him play more. I always liked him but no one can deal with fumbling the ball.

And yes, such a bad break for Battles. Hopefully he is able to hang around and get his education if this does mean his playing days are behind him.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Greg- thanks for the reporting.

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

"Backup running back Bradley Battles left the scrimmage with an ankle injury, and Holtz said he was concerned it could be a longterm injury"

meaning the dreaded high ankle sprain.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Just got home from scrimmage. My stars on the night

Marcus Shaw looked really good.

Matt Floyd came out strong and sharp. better coordinated Backfield than BJ or BE. Had a couple of nice runs off the scramble. Had problems with snaps late don't know if it was him or the C's.

Chris Dunkley, Dre Davis and Ruben Gonzalez looked ready. The 80 somethings as a unit are so different than any wide receiving corps we have had. My buddy Tom who has been to most practices in Vero the last 3 said" The athleticism of this group is so far elevated from what we have had in the past, we actually catch the ball most of the time in practice."

On defense, Elkino looked good until he limped off. Saw him later taped into a knee brace on the outside of his pants.

Fidel Montgomery was impressive, both hitting and defending. He and george Baker were first on the field for scrimmage.

Lynch and Chandler didn't dress. Todd in boot cast.

Sad to say some negatives.

No successful interior running game really. Looked a lot like last year.

TRex looked tentative at receiver and dropped some balls.

BJ came out dead cold. No 1st downs in first two sets. His backfield is often confused and he seldom get's to the second read. Some nice scrambles, hope they turn him loose to start the season.

Lindsey wasn't very impressive. thought he would excel getting back in backfield, but he either didn't get the play calls or didn't execute tonight.

The 1's got beat bad over the middle deep. Missed assignments at safety. Easy TD.

Q and Jake Kaufman are huge. I don't feel small around many people, but those guys are HUGE.

Sean Price is a beast and can flat catch a pass. His might have been the standout performance of the night for me.

Other random thoughts.

Daniels Perry is a physical specimen and didn't look lost of defense.Can't see him cracking 2-deep, likely RS but is gonna be a big asset down the road.

Kayvon was dynamic, but played sparingly.

De_De had a huge bone jarring hit on either Murray or Shaw. He really brings it.

Hans Louis had a huge hit.

Either Dre or Ruben ran over Mark Joyce, I mean ran over. He got up looking for his lunch pail.

Murray only took a few snaps in BJ's first 2 futile series. He's got his spot. Looks big over last year(somebody's been hard at the weights).

Gorgeous evening in Vero, met a few families(Hamiltons, Hamiltons, Durdens and Hovans, et al). If you haven't been to Vero and have a chance to go I highly recommend it. Totally different feel from game day, but really special. It was cool, with a breeze and a beautiful sunset. They are really upgrading the facilities. New practice fields, lot of improvements. Really friendly staff(got me a practice schedule, a facility map and chatted for a while before scrimmage). Really diehard fans and families there.

Oh and i even got directions to the Red Onion from Grouper Greg.

Archived