Hotz talks about OCS

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  75,956
  • Days Won:  436

Again, if an NFL stadium was that great of a sell, why do the schools that play in NFL stadiums all have very little success (us included) when it comes to raking in the talent?

LOL. Miami has trouble raking in talent?

Right... UM's in the same situation as us. Just the fact that you tried to play that angle says alot about you.

You do realize that Miami was once in a much worse situation than us. They did not build an OCS to become national champions, because they knew they did not need to.

That's the point.

That was also almost 30 years ago and in a completely different time. The two situations are not even close to the same.

So what has changed in 30 years that an OCS is all of a sudden a key cog in building a national champion?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I'm going back to recruiting... you're not going to get anyone to come out and say it but recruits... this year... have indicated that having to ride a bus to and from the stadium is a factor in their decision. No... it's not the be all end all of their decision... but it's on the map. Even guys who eventually signed here have said it's not the ideal situation.

Facilities make the difference now a days... it's about flash. Playing in a stadium that is usually only half full because it's too big in the first place and using a locker room that is equivalent to a large closet isn't state of the art. The only thing state of the art at RJS that USF gets to take advantage of is the field and that can be duplicated.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Well maybe, if the OCS has a pirate ship. We are talking teenagers. Yeah, some may like an OCS, but I have yet to read about a recruit who didn't get the Ray Jay tour and not be impressed. It seems that SuperBull, held there, is a major turning point for many like Price and Bivins.

http://www2.tbo.com/...suit-ar-177584/

As far as playing at the home of the Bucs and the site of Super Bowl XLIII in 2009, Raymond James Stadium has been a huge recruiting tool for USF.

http://southflorida..../2/1207699.html

3-star WR Jeff Badet Excited to be a Bull

" I also love the stadium they play in, because I’m also a Buc’s fan and always dreamed of playing in there, so that was another big plus for me.â€

Sebring LB Bullock is the Newest USF Commit!

“I really like the campus, the locker rooms, the facilities and love the stadium.†my family can easily come watch me play. That’s what sold me, that and the stadium.

http://www.cbssports...895818/30273234

Like Price, Bivins has been a mainstay on the 7-on-7 circuit and camp circuit. He ended up committing at the SuperBull camp put on by USF coaches at Raymond James Stadium. (Price) the facilities are awesome

1) Look who else is recruiting those guys. If I remember correctly Bullock was between us and Iowa State.

2) The stadium stands out. I wonder how many of those guys would have had a different decision without USF? Not many.

3) If the NFL stadium was that big a deal why are the schools that play in NFL stadiums not that great? And why have schools like playing in on campus dumps pulling common recruits from us?

I don't think it's as big of a deal as you think. It doesn't hurt, and is a selling point, but I don't believe for a minute that our recruiting would drop because of an on campus stadium. Will it do better? Not sure. No one does.

Iowa State is a Big 12 school Jack Trice Stadium aka The Jack.

800px-Jack_Trice_Stadium%2C_daytime.jpg

WKU recruited him too and USF fans that visited our away game there said its a nice stadium.

bb0a7e65-9e15-443b-9caa-142711aff4d9.jpeg

Badet was offered by Louisville and BC. BC has an excellent OCS, my sister went for the recent BC FSU game. Same with Papa John stadium.

Bivins and Price are on the ESPN 150 and ESPN 300 lists so they have tons of offers.

Temple just moved from the CUSA to the Big East. Pitt moved from the Big East to the ACC and you must not know football if you don't know the history of Miami. I am not sure what schools in common dumps have pulled recruits from USF but players choose other schools because of things like being so low on the chart won't get a chance to play, location in relation to where their family lives, and *gasp academic programs offered.

I am going with fans want an OCS probably more than the recruits. And look at schools in other BCS conferences, say KSU. They are ranked and they haven't had any 4 star recruits for years. They have an OCS named after their coach, Snyder and recruit in nearby Okl and Texas yet only attract 2 and some 3 star recruits.

http://kansasstate.s...p=9&c=8&yr=2012

aerial.jpg

I don't think you get what I'm saying.

"I don't believe for one minute that our recruiting would suffer if we moved to an on campus stadium"

I've been at the game for almost 6 years now. It's a nice perk, it helps in some cases, I'm sure it hurts in some rare instances, but it's not a deal breaker.

Again, if an NFL stadium was that great of a sell, why do the schools that play in NFL stadiums all have very little success (us included) when it comes to raking in the talent?

Yes, look at the talent a 15 year old program has attracted, my point EXACTLY. Giddins, the #1 dual threat QB in the Country, Price, Lynch, etc etc. Look at the talent FIA, FAU and WKU attract in comparison because they have been in 1a about as long as USF. They are ranked at 100 or lower for 2013 on Scout. Look at the ranking of Miami and Pitt. Quality for Pitt, Miami and USF isn't an issue when it comes to recruiting.

Miami is #20, Pitt and USF are above programs like Stanford, Boise St and Texas Tech and near Georgia Tech, Michigan St and Arkansas according to Scout for 2013. Temple is close to UConn and Syracuse but their relatively new NFL stadium and move to the Big East probably means it will go up.

http://southflorida....=9&c=14&yr=2013

We went 5-7 last year. I'll leave it at that.

And here I thought that was due to poor clock management and a missed chip shot but it was RayJay's fault all along ...

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

And here I thought that was due to poor clock management and a missed chip shot but it was RayJay's fault all along ...

Should have payed more attention.

Should have payed more attention.

I was mesmerized by the pirate ship ...

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I blame everyone

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I can't wait for the season to start so we can all start arguing about BJ, clock management, DB coverages, why we aren't using LL enough, or using him too much etc.....

Ha! You know what I meant.

Well maybe, if the OCS has a pirate ship. We are talking teenagers. Yeah, some may like an OCS, but I have yet to read about a recruit who didn't get the Ray Jay tour and not be impressed. It seems that SuperBull, held there, is a major turning point for many like Price and Bivins.

http://www2.tbo.com/...suit-ar-177584/

As far as playing at the home of the Bucs and the site of Super Bowl XLIII in 2009, Raymond James Stadium has been a huge recruiting tool for USF.

http://southflorida..../2/1207699.html

3-star WR Jeff Badet Excited to be a Bull

" I also love the stadium they play in, because I’m also a Buc’s fan and always dreamed of playing in there, so that was another big plus for me.â€

Sebring LB Bullock is the Newest USF Commit!

“I really like the campus, the locker rooms, the facilities and love the stadium.†my family can easily come watch me play. That’s what sold me, that and the stadium.

http://www.cbssports...895818/30273234

Like Price, Bivins has been a mainstay on the 7-on-7 circuit and camp circuit. He ended up committing at the SuperBull camp put on by USF coaches at Raymond James Stadium. (Price) the facilities are awesome

1) Look who else is recruiting those guys. If I remember correctly Bullock was between us and Iowa State.

2) The stadium stands out. I wonder how many of those guys would have had a different decision without USF? Not many.

3) If the NFL stadium was that big a deal why are the schools that play in NFL stadiums not that great? And why have schools like playing in on campus dumps pulling common recruits from us?

I don't think it's as big of a deal as you think. It doesn't hurt, and is a selling point, but I don't believe for a minute that our recruiting would drop because of an on campus stadium. Will it do better? Not sure. No one does.

Iowa State is a Big 12 school Jack Trice Stadium aka The Jack.

800px-Jack_Trice_Stadium%2C_daytime.jpg

WKU recruited him too and USF fans that visited our away game there said its a nice stadium.

bb0a7e65-9e15-443b-9caa-142711aff4d9.jpeg

Badet was offered by Louisville and BC. BC has an excellent OCS, my sister went for the recent BC FSU game. Same with Papa John stadium.

Bivins and Price are on the ESPN 150 and ESPN 300 lists so they have tons of offers.

Temple just moved from the CUSA to the Big East. Pitt moved from the Big East to the ACC and you must not know football if you don't know the history of Miami. I am not sure what schools in common dumps have pulled recruits from USF but players choose other schools because of things like being so low on the chart won't get a chance to play, location in relation to where their family lives, and *gasp academic programs offered.

I am going with fans want an OCS probably more than the recruits. And look at schools in other BCS conferences, say KSU. They are ranked and they haven't had any 4 star recruits for years. They have an OCS named after their coach, Snyder and recruit in nearby Okl and Texas yet only attract 2 and some 3 star recruits.

http://kansasstate.s...p=9&c=8&yr=2012

aerial.jpg

I don't think you get what I'm saying.

"I don't believe for one minute that our recruiting would suffer if we moved to an on campus stadium"

I've been at the game for almost 6 years now. It's a nice perk, it helps in some cases, I'm sure it hurts in some rare instances, but it's not a deal breaker.

Yes, look at the talent a 15 year old program has attracted, my point EXACTLY. Giddins, the #1 dual threat QB in the Country, Price, Lynch, etc etc. Look at the talent FIA, FAU and WKU attract in comparison because they have been in 1a about as long as USF. They are ranked at 100 or lower for 2013 on Scout. Look at the ranking of Miami and Pitt. Quality for Pitt, Miami and USF isn't an issue when it comes to recruiting.

Miami is #20, Pitt and USF are above programs like Stanford, Boise St and Texas Tech and near Georgia Tech, Michigan St and Arkansas according to Scout for 2013. Temple is close to UConn and Syracuse but their relatively new NFL stadium and move to the Big East probably means it will go up.

http://southflorida....=9&c=14&yr=2013

Top 5 recruiting classes last 3 years. I'll leave it at that. USC plays in a former NFL stadium don't they. But the point is, that recruiting alone doesn't win NC or championships. Its just a part of the puzzle.

2013 1. Michigan 2. USC 3. Texas A&M 4. Notre Dame 5.

Georgia

1. Texas 2. Alabama 3. Ohio State 4. Michigan 5.

Florida

1. Florida State 2. Auburn 3. Texas 4. USC 5. Georgia

The Coliseum was an Olympic venue turned college football venue before becoming a NFL stadium. :)

Archived