Hotz talks about OCS

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

As far as recruiting goes, I think a stadium on campus like Minnesota's would be waaaaay more attractive than RJS 12 miles away. Again though, that is just my opinion.

Would love to have what they have, but they were fortunate the state chipped in a huge amount of money.

It would be a nice goal to get something like the Gophers have. That is an awsome facility.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

As far as recruiting goes, I think a stadium on campus like Minnesota's would be waaaaay more attractive than RJS 12 miles away. Again though, that is just my opinion.

Would love to have what they have, but they were fortunate the state chipped in a huge amount of money.

It would be a nice goal to get something like the Gophers have. That is an awsome facility.

It would have to be something long term. Something we get with additions. Start with 100 mil. Then add another 100 mil lol. Just keep going until that is the final product. Maybe 40 years from now lol

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Again, if an NFL stadium was that great of a sell, why do the schools that play in NFL stadiums all have very little success (us included) when it comes to raking in the talent?

LOL. Miami has trouble raking in talent?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Again, if an NFL stadium was that great of a sell, why do the schools that play in NFL stadiums all have very little success (us included) when it comes to raking in the talent?

Right... UM's in the same situation as us. Just the fact that you tried to play that angle says alot about you.

• Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

Start with the lower bowl and some suites...

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Right... UM's in the same situation as us. Just the fact that you tried to play that angle says alot about you.

You do realize that Miami was once in a much worse situation than us. They did not build an OCS to become national champions, because they knew they did not need to.

That's the point.

• Content Count:  75,956
  • Days Won:  436

I don't see where Joe said why do the schools that play in NFL stadiums, that are in the same situation as us, all have very little success (us included) when it comes to raking in the talent. Fact is nobody's in the same situation as us, everybody's situation is different ...

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

we also need to increase the number of students living on campus... we need to limit the total number of commuters

This is a common misbelief with schools that are seen as "commuter". Having worked at a couple other schools, on campus housing doesn't necessarily solve the problem. It's the campus and campus area environment.

Let's face it, we can build all the dorms we want, but USF seriously lacks the immediate campus environment that many schools have.

You hit the nail on the head on this one. Including non-university owned housing, I would venture to guess that USF's surrounding areas likely house about 60-65% of USF's student population, and that may be on the conservative end. With that said, other than the places in New Tampa, like Peabodies, Acropolis, or Dunderbaks, there really isn't that much in terms of bars and restaurants that really provide some campus atmosphere. Part of the problem is Hillsborough County and Temple Terrace zoning restrictions. They're very, very tough in the areas around the university. An OCS can only enhance the campus feel over what's there now.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

we also need to increase the number of students living on campus... we need to limit the total number of commuters

This is a common misbelief with schools that are seen as "commuter". Having worked at a couple other schools, on campus housing doesn't necessarily solve the problem. It's the campus and campus area environment.

Let's face it, we can build all the dorms we want, but USF seriously lacks the immediate campus environment that many schools have.

You hit the nail on the head on this one. Including non-university owned housing, I would venture to guess that USF's surrounding areas likely house about 60-65% of USF's student population, and that may be on the conservative end. With that said, other than the places in New Tampa, like Peabodies, Acropolis, or Dunderbaks, there really isn't that much in terms of bars and restaurants that really provide some campus atmosphere. Part of the problem is Hillsborough County and Temple Terrace zoning restrictions. They're very, very tough in the areas around the university. An OCS can only enhance the campus feel over what's there now.

Agreed. I also heard that all the churches in the immediate area would complain and protest if we tried to put up some bars, clubs, or lounges in their vicinity. There are soooooo many churches within a mile of the campus.

• Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

You do realize that Miami was once in a much worse situation than us. They did not build an OCS to become national champions, because they knew they did not need to.

That's the point.

That was also almost 30 years ago and in a completely different time. The two situations are not even close to the same.

Archived