JUCO CB Nate Willis

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

What kind of offers did he have coming out of high school?

Arizona State No Interest Yes None Indiana No Interest Yes None Iowa State No Interest Yes None Kansas No Interest Yes None Kansas State No Interest Yes None Memphis No Interest Yes None Mississippi State No Interest Yes None Nevada No Interest Yes None New Mexico No Interest Yes None South Alabama

Where is that from?

I cleaned it up, its from Scout.

Is that when he was in HS?

I don't think he was on the radar in high school because all these offers were from this year. My bad. I don't know which Nate Willis he is on Max Preps, there are two. Unless they are both him one playing football the other basketball, in Fl and UT. In UT he was the #85 ranked player, 10,000 nationally on Max Prep. http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/xOkJkUP6JUWktY-KFOGo5Q/football-fall-09/profile-nate-willis.htm

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

What kind of offers did he have coming out of high school?

Arizona State No Interest Yes None Indiana No Interest Yes None Iowa State No Interest Yes None Kansas No Interest Yes None Kansas State No Interest Yes None Memphis No Interest Yes None Mississippi State No Interest Yes None Nevada No Interest Yes None New Mexico No Interest Yes None South Alabama

Where is that from?

I cleaned it up, its from Scout.

Is that when he was in HS?

I don't think he was on the radar in high school because all these offers were from this year. My bad. I don't know which Nate Willis he is on Max Preps, there are two. Unless they are both him one playing football the other basketball, in Fl and UT. In UT he was the #85 ranked player, 10,000 nationally on Max Prep. http://www.maxpreps....nate-willis.htm

The link I gave you was the correct one for Nate Willis playing basketball 09-10 at Pahokee HS, Florida when he was a senior. You can check the Pahokee football roster there for his name.

Nate Willis

Jersey: 10 Pos: W, SF Ht/Wt: 6'0"/170 Class: Sr. School: Pahokee Blue Devils Season: Varsity 09-10 Sport: Basketball Overall: 4-15-0 League: 1-6-0 National Rank: 9753 FL State

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

This recent article clarifies it:

Nice Transition for Willis

In his last two years at Pahokee (Fla.) High School, Nate Willis focused on basketball only and didn't step on the gridiron. But these days the 2013 cornerback prospects owns his share of football offers and is entering his second season at Arizona Western Community College.

7_566988.jpg

The 6-foot and 180-pound Willis did play one season of high school football and that was as a receiver for Glades Central (Fla.) High School. In his return to the gridiron last year, Willis had 31 tackles, three interceptions and one forced fumble as a freshman at Arizona Western.

"It has been pretty good and I knew I always had it in me," said Willis. "But I had to get my grades right in junior college and now I have that part down and I am graduating in December. Getting offers now is a big step for me and I knew I had to prove it to other people.

"It wasn't that tough of an adjustment returning to football last year, really. But playing corner was probably the biggest transition since I only played receiver in high school. But I had some friends that played college ball that helped me with the position and so did my coaches."

Willis noted he has offers from Mississippi State, Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State, South Florida, Indiana and Memphis among others. He also plans to see a few of those schools and is favoring a trio of MSU, South Florida and Iowa State.

"I am unofficially visiting South Florida this Thursday," said Willis. "And I am definitely going to officially visit Mississippi State. I will probably go see Iowa State, too, but right now the only two trips I am certain of are those to South Florida and Mississippi State."

Of that group, Willis said he was "leaning" towards on of those schools.

"I am actually leaning towards Mississippi State," Willis said. "I just love the SEC and it doesn't get any better than that. You have big games every week and just a step away from the NFL and the SEC prepares you so much for the NFL. That would be a big step for me if I went there.

"I also talk with Coach (Melvin) Smith a lot and we have a good relationship. Plus, it would be a good opportunity for me there since they have three senior cornerbacks this year. Everyone else would be new like me and they may know the plays better at first but I would have an edge with experience."

Willis added what he likes about his other two favorites, as well.

"Iowa State is a pretty good school with good facilities and a good coaching staff," said Willis. "They have a good brotherhood on their team and it is an all-around good school. It is the same with South Florida with a family-like atmosphere on the team. Plus, it is just a two-hour drive from back home."

With the 2012 campaign right around the corner, Willis said he could possibly make his college decision before the season gets underway. But like all prospects, he won't know for sure until he officially signs in December.

"I may commit before the season," said Willis. "But I probably won't know for sure until I get done with our season. For me, location is not a factor but finding the best opportunity is a big factor."

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/2013-juco-prospect-Nate-Willis-favoring-trio-MSU-on-top-80832

I am glad he didn't get to a Miss St home game because he sounds like he is into tradition. They may not have the best SEC team, but they have a lot of traditions on game day and a group of hard core fans.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

So we're done at DB unless VH3 comes aboard?

• Topic Count:  342
  • Content Count:  3,714
  • Days Won:  2

JULY 26, 2012

Willis, a Pahokee graduate who is now at Arizona Western, is USF's 12th commitment for 2013, and the third cornerback in the class, joining Jacksonville's Darius Whitty and Moultrie (Ga.) standout Johnny Ward.

http://www.tampabay....commitment-2013

Why is Johnny listed as a "standout"?

Wonder if this will change if VH says yes.

http://www.tampabay....mmit-bulls-2013

"Whitty and Ward were told that USF only intends to take three cornerbacks in its 2013 class, which would leave one spot available for Wharton standout Vernon Hargreaves III. It's a key position for USF's next recruiting class, with starter Kayvon Webster a senior this fall and a new generation of potential starters moving in with young players like Kenneth Durden and Chris Bivins."

BTW, Hargeaves tweeted on the 20th that USF is not in his top 5, but still in consideration. Wonder if sanctions at Miami will make them drop off and USF move up.

http://insider.espn....i-uf-leads-list

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound cornerback tweeted: "Top 5 ) 1.Florida 2.Clemson 3.Vanderbilt 4.Miami 5.Notre Dame , USF is not in my top 5 but still considering!"

"Yeah my list is in order," Hargreaves said. "I like all of those schools. I guess there is no definite reason I like all of them, I guess it's just where I feel like I have an opportunity to play and have a good time. I like the coaching staffs, the facilities and the players.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

VH3 committed to UF

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

He has some impressive offers, maybe he'll turn out to be better than VH3.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

He has some impressive offers, maybe he'll turn out to be better than VH3.

VH3, is the most polished CB prospect I've ever seen on Film, I hope so, but UF got themselves a future first rounder...