Bailey On USF/UCF: "A Healthy, Respectful Rivalry"

NAM37

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.620wdae.c..._medium=twitter

Interim Big East Commissioner Joe Bailey joined Tom Jones and Rick Stroud of the Sports Page on Friday to discuss the latest happenings in college sports, particularly the Big East Conference.

Conference realignment has been rampant in the last two years, and the Big East has reshaped itself as well. However, some would argue the Big East Conference is not in the same tier as the SEC or Pac-12, so the question was asked if the conference will get a fair shake in the new playoff format.

"My own personal feeling is football and any sport, for that matter, whether it's a single sport, single individual particpating or team sports, it's a meritocracy," Bailey said. "And those that end up being the most successful are teams that actually earn it."

Meanwhile, the USF/UCF rivalry was touched upon by the interim commissioner, and he understands the clean, healthy competition that can come about between both of these schools.

"Clearly they are two institutions that are significant, significant players as the state of Florida is concerned," Bailey said. "I very much appreciate the culture of football in the state of Florida, and I know how important it is to all the citizens and communities. So from that perspective, those individual communities ought to have a healthy, respectful rivalry."

Finally, the Big East Conference is shaping up to having two football divisions. As for right now, nothing concrete has been set up. However, Bailey stated that the divisions are going to have an interesting set-up for the 2013-14 football season.

Personally, I think the most important line is:

Finally, the Big East Conference is shaping up to having two football divisions.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I want to f'n throw up..... I do not mind a rivalry, but beating them gives us nothing..... we gain nothing, and the last time we beat them we actually went backwards in the rankings

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I want to f'n throw up..... I do not mind a rivalry, but beating them gives us nothing..... we gain nothing, and the last time we beat them we actually went backwards in the rankings

When they are in the league, then beating them does mean something.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Dude has no idea what he's talking about. Nothing clean about or respectful about it (nor the girls from that school to the east).

• Content Count:  8,177

beating UCF means everything now.

• Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

You just confirmed our demotion.... ugh.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

This is not meant to be confrontational, but do you mean that statement for you, the players, or the fan base.... Beating UCF will be important as it would pertain to the conference, but I just see this rivalry as joke...

• Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

We have to beat them.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Beating UCF will be important as it would pertain to the conference, but I just see this rivalry as joke...

Beating them as a conference member is what makes this a rivalry, and not a joke.

• Content Count:  8,177

This is not meant to be confrontational, but do you mean that statement for you, the players, or the fan base.... Beating UCF will be important as it would pertain to the conference, but I just see this rivalry as joke...

how exactly is it a joke?

Archived