Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

Reliable Source

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

on a different note, somebody just tweeted:

"So it's safe to say penn state opens the 2012 season looking to snap a current losing streak of 112 games"

lmao

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just the fact that Paterno is gone and his legacy is shattered will make it hard for PSU to rebuild the way they did. He was the main draw to PSU.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

this won't cripple them.

USC isn't hurting and they got a 2 year bowl ban and lost scholarships as well. they are still a top 5 team.

they sell $85M worth of psu merchandise a year. their football program makes a $60M profit every year. fine is a drop in the bucket.

very few if any players will transfer. perhaps they enjoy where they go to school.

players are already decommitting

this scandal happened before last signing period. sure they lost some recruits when joe paterno was fired. that was obviously going to happen. that happens anytime a coach, especially a legend, is replaced.

rivals has them currently ranked #16. (I'm not a big believer in recruiting rankings but it gives us an idea). their facilities will still be some of the best in the country. their amenities will also be some of the best.they play in front of 110k fans.

USC got a 2 year bowl ban and lost scholarships. they are still a top 5 team.

BTW I said transfer. nothing about recruits. They might have a couple who choose to transfer because of this but I don't think it will cripple them.

• Content Count:  21,565
  • Days Won:  10

Now that the Big 10 has a team that is basically not going to contribute jack to the TV revenue and bottom line for at least the next 5 years will they be searching to add another team?

• Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

This will cripple them for the next three years for sure... Their team will consist of 105 Sheriff's living the dream. Any recruit in their right mind isn't going there (don't tell me it's about the education). Penn State will be fortunate enough to compete against Sun Belt caliber players until the year before the sanctions end.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Bull94, Probably best to give it a little more than a couple hours before judging the long-term effects of today's NCAA decision. Who cares what the current Rivals ranking is? Talk to me in a week after recruits have had time to think about their commitment to PSU.

PSU's punishment is twice as bad as USC's was regarding the bowl ban. Freshmen that stick with PSU this year will likely never see a bowl game. Don't think they aren't thinking about that right now.

Even sophomores and juniors will never see another bowl game and all the perks that come with it, unless they transfer out.

Give it a little more time, most decisions like the ones to transfer aren't made overnight.

• Content Count:  21,565
  • Days Won:  10

Plus, this year they will have to cut 10 scholarships. Players who thought they were going to get money will not and they will transfer immediately if they can get offers else where. School is not cheap.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Sounds like a good place to go shopping for underclassmen LB's. We need em, they got em and we sure ain't finding them in FL.

This will cripple them for the next three years for sure... Their team will consist of 105 Sheriff's living the dream. Any recruit in their right mind isn't going there (don't tell me it's about the education). Penn State will be fortunate enough to compete against Sun Belt caliber players until the year before the sanctions end.

so you think penn state will get sunbelt type recruits?

they will still have 65 scholarships. that's enough to field 3 starting teams on both sides of the ball.

they still play in front of 110k fans. they still have some of the nicest facilities in the country. they will still get all the accoutrements of playing for a top 20 earning program.

Bull94, Probably best to give it a little more than a couple hours before judging the long-term effects of today's NCAA decision. Who cares what the current Rivals ranking is? Talk to me in a week after recruits have had time to think about their commitment to PSU.

PSU's punishment is twice as bad as USC's was regarding the bowl ban. Freshmen that stick with PSU this year will likely never see a bowl game. Don't think they aren't thinking about that right now.

Even sophomores and juniors will never see another bowl game and all the perks that come with it, unless they transfer out.

Give it a little more time, most decisions like the ones to transfer aren't made overnight.

so I should give more than a couple of hours but those jumping to the conclusion that they will be ruined have the right to??

Archived