Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

Reliable Source

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

This is cheap grandstanding by the NCAA, a disgusting attempt to gain pub for itself on the backs of victims. I hope the NCAA imposes serious penalties and Penn State sues the NCAA for all its worth. The NCAA polices athletic competition. The NCAA is not the law or the morality police. They are far, far overstepping their bounds. It is simply disgusting that they are tarnishing the pain of the victims by grandstanding.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Big 10 should get a Florida presence :stirpot:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

This is cheap grandstanding by the NCAA, a disgusting attempt to gain pub for itself on the backs of victims. I hope the NCAA imposes serious penalties and Penn State sues the NCAA for all its worth. The NCAA polices athletic competition. The NCAA is not the law or the morality police. They are far, far overstepping their bounds. It is simply disgusting that they are tarnishing the pain of the victims by grandstanding.

From what is slowly starting to trickle out, PSU has agreed to whatever is coming down tomorrow.... PSU won't have standing for a lawsuit.

From what is slowly starting to trickle out, PSU has agreed to whatever is coming down tomorrow.... PSU won't have standing for a lawsuit.

That means it isn't severe and only for show. Or maybe Penn State needs the money savings from whatever is being imposed an was going to do that anyway.

If Penn State is in agreement, it actually means that Penn State was planning to impose these sanctions on themselves and is letting the NCAA preen.

Seriously, when has anyone ever seen an NCAA "investigation" happen so quickly? It took years to resolve the Reggie Bush case, and that was blantant and direct NCAA violations.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

From what I understand this wasn't an investigation by the NCAA... this is a response to the report from this week... and the NCAA president has been granted complete autonomy on whatever he is handing down tomorrow.

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Matt Hayes â€@Matt_HayesSN

#NCAA sanctions are #PennSt driven, and accepted by NCAA prez Mark Emmert.

Good to see that the sanctions are coming from PSU.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

They kind of had to. Public opinion and bad press was tearing em apart. This is a way to try to put some of this behind them. NCAA is saying sanctions are "unprecedented". Looks like it's gonna be way more than a wrist slap. The problem would be is if it is viewed as too light of penalties, it would backfire for both PSU and NCAA as well. I imagine they are gonna get hit pretty hard.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

The most intelligent article yet. Those of the "blood-thirsty hordes seeking vengeance" probably won't agree since they only want to destroy the program with little thought to anything else.

http://citizensvoice...ctims-1.1346658

Instead of plunging the Penn State football program into a vacuum for a year or more, the NCAA should, like a judge in a criminal court, impose sanctions that balance punishment and rehabilitation with the greater good. Under such a plan, the NCAA should:

• Allow the team to play its full schedule, but require Penn State divert all proceeds, including ticket sales, sponsorships and television revenues, to a charity dealing in the awareness and prevention of child-sex abuse.
  • Instead of a uniform patch honoring Paterno, who died in January, require the team to incorporate a blue ribbon, for child-sex abuse awareness, into its home and away jerseys.
  • Require one in-stadium public address announcement and scoreboard video per timeout and two television advertisements per half of each home game to raise awareness of the signs of child-sex abuse and encourage fans to report suspected abusers to police.
  • Designate one home game a "blue out," with fans encouraged to wear blue clothing to raise awareness of child-sex abuse.
  • Require Penn State to allow local agencies that deal with child-sex abuse victims to collect donations at the gate, which happened last November during the first home game following Sandusky's arrest.

I think if you had down any kind of punishment for recruiting violations like buying a kid a cheeseburger then you have little choice but to ban Penn State for Football for 2+ years! I mean this was unparalleled by any violation we have ever seen before on so many levels. Not just the heinous acts, but the depth with which Penn State covered it up, and the result of their coverup. Penn State's actions went from their coaching staff to the president of the university and resulted directly in the exploitation of minors! There is no excuse for that and it is 1000x worse than anything UM or SMU has ever done!

It isn't about hatred of Penn State (I recruit there a lot, great school) or blood thirsty. But if you don't utilize a death penalty here then there is frankly never going to be a reasonable example of a violation that justifies it!

• Content Count:  21,565
  • Days Won:  10

Yeah, and would the media stop talking about hurting the players and coaches. Screw that what about the kids. Sorry, players can be made whole by allowing them an extra year and a immediate transfer.

As I have said repeatedly, the NCAA has no authority in this matter. This is a university decision.

Archived