Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

Reliable Source

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

A solution to the fiscal argument. The program is given the death penalty for one year. All football players are allowed to transfer without penalty. All coaches and staff that were not involved get paid and get benefits. All vendors and businesses get paid an average of net receipts of the last 5 years. Do not allow psu to end or cut funding to any other athletic program. You may ask where they get the money? They will have zero travel and lodging expenses.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

A solution to the fiscal argument. The program is given the death penalty for one year. All football players are allowed to transfer without penalty. All coaches and staff that were not involved get paid and get benefits. All vendors and businesses get paid an average of net receipts of the last 5 years. Do not allow psu to end or cut funding to any other athletic program. You may ask where they get the money? They will have zero travel and lodging expenses.

Oil spill scenario. that might work. On top of the civil torts this may be a bit much to ask Penn State to pay. Will they even be liable for these claims if a governing body orders the shut down? I would think the NCAA would have to make restitution to local business as they are the ones orderig the shut down. That is my only question. Good idea, but I am not sure if it is feasible.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

what do you do about the local shops that depend on this income? hotels? sandwich shops? gas stations? bars? restaurants? etc etc. many places probably make their year on the 6 or 7 football weekends when the city swells to 3x it's normal population.

there is a huge multiplier effect. tens of millions will not come into that town.

they will have zero lodging and travel expenses but they will have virtually zero revenue. no tickets sold. no tv money. donations drop like a rock . etc.

again how does this punish sandusky, joe pa, the pres, the vice pres and the ad? it doesn't.

what do you do about the local shops that depend on this income? hotels? sandwich shops? gas stations? bars? restaurants? etc etc. many places probably make their year on the 6 or 7 football weekends when the city swells to 3x it's normal population.

there is a huge multiplier effect. tens of millions will not come into that town.

they will have zero lodging and travel expenses but they will have virtually zero revenue. no tickets sold. no tv money. donations drop like a rock . etc.

again how does this punish sandusky, joe pa, the pres, the vice pres and the ad? it doesn't.

Sorry, most people understand that I meant net receiptts DURING FOOTBALL SEASON. You just don't want sanctions to happen. How does it punish sandusky (JAIL), Jopa (DEATH), The Pres (JAIL), the vice pres (JAIL). How does ANY school going on probation punish the coach that has already left? They don't. So, back to my original argument about sanctions on general. Given your opposition to sanctions here, I presume that you are not in favor of any sanctions anywhere.

If we found out the same thing happened at USF, a "baby" program by comparison, would you all want the football team dismantled? After all the work to get the program from The Ponderosa to the state of where the program/facilities are now? Or would you want all those who covered this up gone, in jail, and replaced and move forward? It makes no sense to punish the student athletes, students, fans, alumni, those whose livelihoods are tied to the program (vendors, suppliers, etc), and community over the actions of this handful of people. They need to go to jail and be replaced. The program needs to movie forward. This is not something that the school or students fostered. It was a few...and the many don't deserve the punishment.

If this is treated in the manner you suggest, then no snactions could really ever be levied in the future. There is alway collateral damage. If a school loses a few schollys, the program will faulter, leading to lower attendance, leading to fewer hotel rooms, less food consumption, less merchandise etc...... I don't know what the property penalty should be, but to use the "it hurts other people" argument would set a bad precedent against any further sacntions. JMVHO.

When a school has sanctions against it, they are for the school cheating to enhance that schools performance, be it in recruiting or practicing more hours than allowed, etc.. This is totally different in that regards. Nothing that happened gave PSU an advantage on the field. The sanctions the NCAA gives are negate the advantages of extra practice, attracting the best athletes with money and cars, fielding a better team via extra practice, etc. as they should be. But in this case, the team are victims, not the guilty who perpetrated the offense. That is why sanctions do not make any sense at all, to further punish the school and all those associated. Insult to injury.

Nothing? Do you truly think that nothing would've happened to recruiting if a pedophile was once on the coaching staff? Do you think that parents would NOT have taken that into consideration when helping their child decide which school to attend?

If no sanctions are ever going to be given, what is going to keep the schools from cheating? Don't say honor because we know that is almost completely gone in the world of "collegiate" athletics.

• Content Count:  12,672
  • Days Won:  25

If every athlete has the opportunity to transfer without penalty, how are they hurt?

Sorry, most people understand that I meant net receiptts DURING FOOTBALL SEASON. You just don't want sanctions to happen. How does it punish sandusky (JAIL), Jopa (DEATH), The Pres (JAIL), the vice pres (JAIL). How does ANY school going on probation punish the coach that has already left? They don't. So, back to my original argument about sanctions on general. Given your opposition to sanctions here, I presume that you are not in favor of any sanctions anywhere.

I want the people that were responsible for the crime and the cover-up to go to jail and to be financially ruined. penn state will pay through the nose to settle with victims as they should.

so you suggest penn state pay everyone in that town that suffers economically due to the cancellation? I assumed you meant only those dealing with the school itself. you do realize that the 10's of millions spent is just the start. that money multiplies as vendors pay employees and employees eat at sandwich shops and sandwich shop owners buy new clothes etc etc.

like another poster said, the ncaa punishes programs that get an unfair advantage over an opponent by cheating.they don't criminally prosecute members. they penalize that program and I have no problem for sanctions in that case. the death penalty is dumb and even they admit that and have had many situations where they could have instituted it again and refused.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

The school should pay relocation costs for athletes as well

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Yeah, how dare we punish those people who weeks ago were rioting because anyone dared to assail St. Joe, who was orchestrating the whole coverup. How dare we punish those poor people who have to sleep on the sidewalk near St. Joe's statue. How dare we punish their boosters who upped their donations in defiance of all of this criminal activity? How dare we? We dare, so that no one will ever cover up and support a child ****** again, We dare because Boards will begin actually monitoring those they are meant to monitor and we dare so that the noise is so loud that everyone will hear it. This "community" which is so innocent was built in the shadow of a criminal enterprise. They profited from it being able to continue their enterprise while the elite at PSU covered up an active child ******. Profit no more.I don't care if some businesses have to shut down.

At first the argument was that the NCAA has no jurisdiction. Well I guess they and PSU believe that they do. Now the argument is, how could you damage collateral parties. Well it's like an operation. Sometimes the surgeon has to take out some healthy tissue in order to get the whole cancer. Now is one of those times. If there was ever an argument for the Death Penalty, this is the best one I have ever heard. If you aren't gonna use it here, it is a hollow threat.

Yeah, how dare we punish those people who weeks ago were rioting because anyone dared to assail St. Joe, who was orchestrating the whole coverup. How dare we punish those poor people who have to sleep on the sidewalk near St. Joe's statue. How dare we punish their boosters who upped their donations in defiance of all of this criminal activity? How dare we? We dare, so that no one will ever cover up and support a child ****** again, We dare because Boards will begin actually monitoring those they are meant to monitor and we dare so that the noise is so loud that everyone will hear it. This "community" which is so innocent was built in the shadow of a criminal enterprise. They profited from it being able to continue their enterprise while the elite at PSU covered up an active child ******. Profit no more.I don't care if some businesses have to shut down.

At first the argument was that the NCAA has no jurisdiction. Well I guess they and PSU believe that they do. Now the argument is, how could you damage collateral parties. Well it's like an operation. Sometimes the surgeon has to take out some healthy tissue in order to get the whole cancer. Now is one of those times. If there was ever an argument for the Death Penalty, this is the best one I have ever heard. If you aren't gonna use it here, it is a hollow threat.

didn't we have a suspected terrorist working at usf at one time? did we shut down our computer engineering department?

what if this had happened at penn states mathematics department? would you suggest shutting it down?

cutting out the cancer is exactly what they did by firing these people. hopefully they go to prison.

Archived