Asiantii Woulard, QB, Winter Park HS, Winter Park, FL(2013)

Reliable Source

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

The assumption that USF and Western Kentucky are swimming in completely different talent pools...is a bad assumption. Especially when Willie Taggart was at Western Kentucky. He was aiming high when he was there, and he got some pretty good recruits too.

It doesn't take more than a google search to see where these guys rate according to services like ESPN and Rivals and whatnot. James Mauro was a three star guy with a 75 rating in 2011. Matt Floyd was a three star guys that had a 76 rating in 2011 and they had USF as the only school offering him a scholarship, just as ESPN had Western Kentucky the only school offering James Mauro a scholarship.

The star ratings and whatnot aren't great predictors but that alone should tell you that USF fans have no room whatsoever to be all high and mighty about a Western Kentucky recruit not being desirable because we should be recruiting better than Western Kentucky.

The difference between the two is Floyd continually disappoints, as we've seen with his not even being able to correctly handle snaps, and Mauro was Taggart's guy while Floyd never was. Taggart regularly recruited from Florida while at Western Kentucky. He pilfered the QB that will start this year under Bobby Petrino, Brandon Doughty, from the Miami area. He recruited Greg Windham the QB of King High School right here in Tampa. I'm sure he knew who Matt Floyd was. He just wasn't interested.

Two more guys to pay attention to would be Jamil Golden and Austin Appleby. Neither would be a guy that could play right away, of course.

Appleby committed to Purdue as part of the 2012 class but the new coach there Darrell Hazell did not recruit Appleby. His big fish is Danny Etling who was on Elite 11 with Asiantii Woulard if you recall, and he convinced Etling to come to school early so he could jump right into the starting competition, which he's done. In fact onlookers think the coaches are already putting Etling ahead of Appleby. I think the writing on the wall is pretty obvious.

Jamil Golden was offered by Taggart at Western Kentucky and ESPN had him rated pretty high. I believe he ended up walking on at Mississippi State. Thing is, let's say Steven Bench chooses to come to Mississippi State. That could take a little bit of wind out of Golden's sails. Could see him try and transfer after that.

Agreed. 3-4 years ago, I'd have scoffed at us and WKU fighting over the same QB. These days...

Disagree. Floyd, who parrot is comparing, wasn't the intended starter, Woulard was. That's the caliber of QB we would expect out of high school.

I don't know if I would hold woulard out as the standard. Not being all sour grapeish and stuff, but he had a disaster of a HS career. Had only 3 legitimate somewhat legitimate  offers ( UCLA, USF and maybe, maybe, maybe Clemson). Heck the dude went on an OV to UK and still never got an offer, FROM KENTUCKY!!! I wouldn't hang my hat on him based on a no contact competition where he did really well. I'd rather have another Matt Groethe any day than that nightmare and his dad. One get's hit and grins at the defender the other gets tagged and limps off to the lockerroom. I'll bet a Benjamin he never plays 100 plays at UCLA.

ROFLMAO

Still hurting from Woulard?  You have no idea who offered him and who didn't.  It isn't advertised in the paper.  Some offers that you hear about never actually happened, it is the player trying to make themself look good.  Some offers that are made no one ever hears about.  If you ever have a kid go through this, you'd understand how it works.  I could accept my only offer, to FAU, and tell everyone I got offers from Alabama, Florida and Georgia.  The coaches would never be able to dispute the offers.  Conversely, lots of kids get offers that never show up at Rivals or Scout because they don't feel the need to toot their own horn every three minutes.

Edited by DataBull
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

The assumption that USF and Western Kentucky are swimming in completely different talent pools...is a bad assumption. Especially when Willie Taggart was at Western Kentucky. He was aiming high when he was there, and he got some pretty good recruits too.

It doesn't take more than a google search to see where these guys rate according to services like ESPN and Rivals and whatnot. James Mauro was a three star guy with a 75 rating in 2011. Matt Floyd was a three star guys that had a 76 rating in 2011 and they had USF as the only school offering him a scholarship, just as ESPN had Western Kentucky the only school offering James Mauro a scholarship.

The star ratings and whatnot aren't great predictors but that alone should tell you that USF fans have no room whatsoever to be all high and mighty about a Western Kentucky recruit not being desirable because we should be recruiting better than Western Kentucky.

The difference between the two is Floyd continually disappoints, as we've seen with his not even being able to correctly handle snaps, and Mauro was Taggart's guy while Floyd never was. Taggart regularly recruited from Florida while at Western Kentucky. He pilfered the QB that will start this year under Bobby Petrino, Brandon Doughty, from the Miami area. He recruited Greg Windham the QB of King High School right here in Tampa. I'm sure he knew who Matt Floyd was. He just wasn't interested.

Two more guys to pay attention to would be Jamil Golden and Austin Appleby. Neither would be a guy that could play right away, of course.

Appleby committed to Purdue as part of the 2012 class but the new coach there Darrell Hazell did not recruit Appleby. His big fish is Danny Etling who was on Elite 11 with Asiantii Woulard if you recall, and he convinced Etling to come to school early so he could jump right into the starting competition, which he's done. In fact onlookers think the coaches are already putting Etling ahead of Appleby. I think the writing on the wall is pretty obvious.

Jamil Golden was offered by Taggart at Western Kentucky and ESPN had him rated pretty high. I believe he ended up walking on at Mississippi State. Thing is, let's say Steven Bench chooses to come to Mississippi State. That could take a little bit of wind out of Golden's sails. Could see him try and transfer after that.

Agreed. 3-4 years ago, I'd have scoffed at us and WKU fighting over the same QB. These days...

Disagree. Floyd, who parrot is comparing, wasn't the intended starter, Woulard was. That's the caliber of QB we would expect out of high school.

I don't know if I would hold woulard out as the standard. Not being all sour grapeish and stuff, but he had a disaster of a HS career. Had only 3 legitimate somewhat legitimate  offers ( UCLA, USF and maybe, maybe, maybe Clemson). Heck the dude went on an OV to UK and still never got an offer, FROM KENTUCKY!!! I wouldn't hang my hat on him based on a no contact competition where he did really well. I'd rather have another Matt Groethe any day than that nightmare and his dad. One get's hit and grins at the defender the other gets tagged and limps off to the lockerroom. I'll bet a Benjamin he never plays 100 plays at UCLA.

ROFLMAO

Still hurting from Woulard?  You have no idea who offered him and who didn't.  It isn't advertised in the paper.  Some offers that you hear about never actually happened, it is the player trying to make themself look good.  Some offers that are made no one ever hears about.  If you ever have a kid go through this, you'd understand how it works.  I could accept my only offer, to FAU, and tell everyone I got offers from Alabama, Florida and Georgia.  The coaches would never be able to dispute the offers.  Conversely, lots of kids get offers that never show up at Rivals or Scout because they don't feel the need to toot their own horn every three minutes.

If you think Woulard ever got an offer that wasn't revealed to media sources you just aren't paying attention. I used Rivals for my most recent update(last night). And the offer still stands, Bet?To clarify my offer, that's 100 plays at QB. I think he winds up an hback or TE if he stays there at all.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I know you didn't MEAN to come off sounding sour grapes...but this definitely comes off sounding sour grapes. Asiantii Woulard is a good high school prospect with pro caliber talent.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

If you think Woulard ever got an offer that wasn't revealed to media sources you just aren't paying attention. I used Rivals for my most recent update(last night). And the offer still stands, Bet?To clarify my offer, that's 100 plays at QB. I think he winds up an hback or TE if he stays there at all.

If you think Rivals knows one tenth of everything, then you just aren't paying attention.

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I know you didn't MEAN to come off sounding sour grapes...but this definitely comes off sounding sour grapes. Asiantii Woulard is a good high school prospect with pro caliber talent.

On this board, we prefer the term "butthurt" in place of "sour grapes"

Edited by JTrue

Also, if we're going to bring AW back, could we migrate over to his thread?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,957
  • Days Won:  436

If you think Woulard ever got an offer that wasn't revealed to media sources you just aren't paying attention. I used Rivals for my most recent update(last night).

Not sure what you qualify as "legitimate somewhat legitimate offers" but, per Rivals this morning, he had 9 offers from P5 schools. Is there a different "Rivals" that only showed 3 offers last night?

Scout also gives him 9. However, they seem to think he got that offer from Kentucky but not one from Indiana.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  2,401
  • Content Count:  21,566
  • Days Won:  10

Who cares

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

If you think Woulard ever got an offer that wasn't revealed to media sources you just aren't paying attention. I used Rivals for my most recent update(last night).

Not sure what you qualify as "legitimate somewhat legitimate offers" but, per Rivals this morning, he had 9 offers from P5 schools. Is there a different "Rivals" that only showed 3 offers last night?

I thought Rivals was a pay site ... ?