Expansion Talk Today At Media Day By The Commish

slick1ru2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,048
  • Days Won:  2

From the Paul Zeise Blog at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, thanks to Voodoo Five

But Pederson isn't interested in adding just anyone, nor is the rest of the conference, which is where this could get very interesting because behind closed doors, there are less discussions about the Central Florida, Memphis, Southern Miss, Marshall, Army, Navy-type teams (you know, the ones which are always thrown out there) and more about the teams which may be ripe to be plucked from their current conferences for whatever reason.

The dream scenario would be the current league, plus TCU and BC and Maryland and if three schools of that quality were added, then a 12th school could be a Villanova or Central Florida and the conference would clearly be better. However, adding Villanova or Central Florida as the 10th school or adding both as the 10th and 11th schools would not add a thing to the conference and thus is not attractive to anyone at this point.

Central Florida, in fact, seems to be the only of those Conference USA/MAC/Less than BCS-League type schools that has any reasonable amount of support from the current membership and even then, there seems to be a wide variety of opinions on exactly what they'd bring. (Pederson said he would like another presence in Florida, but would not comment specifically about UCF so you do the math). Nobody seems to want Memphis or any of those other schools, though there are some discussions still about Navy

Yes, it is still speculation, but it is supporting the value added statement. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,653

No surprise about BC and Maryland. They make sense geographically. Would chuckle a bit if Edsall came back to the BE

• Content Count:  71
  • Days Won:  0

The BE Comm is clueless. Let he say what he wants. He can wish all he wants, and say he wants this or that, but in reality, it's just talk, and not likely to happen.

BC and Maryland moving to the BE would never happen. They gain nothing and there's no incentive. The ACC is a way better conference in general for sports (football/basketball/baseball) and the ACC's image fits those school's desired personas as well....the "academic" conference. No way they move simply so they have to travel less to games.

TCU is a big get for the BE, but I think a step in the right direction stops with that. TCU was desperate to get into a better conference, and the BE was looking for quality additions. I don't really see any other "valuable" additions that the BE can get right now unless there is further expansion in other conferences and the BE can snag a few teams left over. I don't think Army/Navy would be good gets unless you get both for sure. UCF I think would actually be beneficial for the BE in the long run.

As for a TV deal or TV network....even if this happens, I don't really see the BE benefiting significantly from it.

The only thing the BE has going for it is solid basketball, other than that there is a ton lacking.

To be honest, if I were a USF fan, I would be thinking about how my school could get to a better conference for more respect, not which scrubs can be added for "value."

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

It's going to be hilarious to see what you have to say when the BE signs their new TV deal and are making more per team than the ACC......

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Pretty sure I didn't see anything in the article about UCF, Army and Navy being thrown out by Marinatto.  I assume that if those schools were mentioned, they would be in the article.  Can someone please separate speculation from actual statements? 

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

BC and Maryland moving to the BE would never happen. They gain nothing and there's no incentive. The only thing the BE has going for it is solid basketball, other than that there is a ton lacking.

When the next TV negotiation comes around, there should be more money coming to each Big East team than there is going to all of the ACC teams. I'd call that incentive enough.

I wouldn't exactly say the Big East is lacking in football. The ACC hasn't done jack **** since Miami, BC and VT arrived. Hell, VT is saving the league some face the way they have played the past few seasons.

• Content Count:  7,693

Would not be surprised if all 3 got invited.

Well according to the Pittsburgh Gazette Sports Blog the BEast Commish stated that the plan is for the BEast to upgrade to a 12 team conference with a Championship game in NY. The article also stated Army, Navy, and UCF are the main targets... if the BigXII collapses then Kansas, Kansas State, and Mizzou are secondary targets... Houston, Memphis, ECU, Troy, Southern Piss, SMU, FAU, etc. are not targets.

Since this is coming from the Commish I think this story has some legs...

• Content Count:  518
  • Days Won:  0

How do you have a championship game around Christmas? I thought bowl bids went out well before that? As a matter of fact it is in the middle of bowl season. That statement makes zero sense.

• Content Count:  2,114

I doubt BC and Maryland would come in. Wishful thinking though. B12 teams any day over UCF and co

• Content Count:  2,048

How do you have a championship game around Christmas? I thought bowl bids went out well before that? As a matter of fact it is in the middle of bowl season. That statement makes zero sense.

I agree, aren't championships usually the first weekend in December?

Archived