PPL Park Developing Expansion, Positive Sign for Villanova

bulls phanatic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.thenovablog.com/2011/6/7/2211025/ppl-park-developing-expansion-plan-villanova-football-big-east

According to Jeff Gamage in today's Philadelphia Inquirer, the Philadelphia Union are developing plans to expand their stadium size - and incredibly, there isn't a single mention of Villanova and the impact it could have on the Big East expansion dilemma in the article.

Union officials are envisioning a three-phase process that would bring the seating capacity of the stadium up to 30,000, coincidentally the numbers that Villanova has been pushing for all along. The first phase would bring seating from 18,500 to 20,000, the second phase to 27,000, and the third phase to 30,000. If plans continue to move forward, construction could start in 2014.

While many will point to Villanova's interest as one of the main reasons for the increase, it should be noted that the Union are one of the best selling teams in Major League Soccer, so the increase totally makes sense for them too - and gives Villanova a leg to stand on if they were to split the cost of the increase, which is estimated at around $25 million today.

A larger stadium for a team that already sells 97.8% of it's seats (in a league that averages just over 75%) will also help generate attention for larger events, such as bigger international soccer games, and the recently completed College 7's Rugby Tournament.

Good news for Villanova fans, even if they aren't directly mentioned in the article. The stadium was one of the biggest sticking points, and it looks as if concrete plans are beginning to form. The timeline may not be the most encouraging, but it wasn't going to get much better than what they're talking about anyways.

• Content Count:  7,693

Hmmmm... very interesting... wonder what the BEast will do now, they stated that all expansion plans would be finalized at their 1st board meeting in 2012.

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

Just how long will the B.E. wait for NOVA?  The constuction to begin the 1st phase in 2014 and with two more additions it would probably be 2020 be for it is at the MAX. 30,000.  I do not believe the B.E. can wait that long and for a still small stadium.

• Content Count:  2,114

I feel like as long as the BE exists, there will always be an open invitation to Villanova.

• Content Count:  4,642

maybe nova is going to position themselves for the next round of expansion.  let's say we add whoever within the next year or so, and then nova gets bumped up to fill out the nice even number one day down the road.  i'd like that scenario.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

maybe nova is going to position themselves for the next round of expansion.  let's say we add whoever within the next year or so, and then nova gets bumped up to fill out the nice even number one day down the road.  i'd like that scenario.

This sounds about right.  I do not think Nova is the next team to join the BE.  I do think they will have an open invitation down the road when their facilities are upgraded (inclusive of an adequate place to play).  Despite this, at this time I think Nova adds no additional value to BE football.  Then again, if BE football increases its value down the road by the addition of value added team(s), rankings, winning BCS games, etc. and can hold its own there will be a split b/w football and basketball and no invite to Nova.  BE Basketball sway is the only reason Nova is even being considered.  Just my two cents. 

• Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

no way nova coming to big east

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  677

Nova will be approved of #10 before the next tv deal.  Book it Dano.

• Content Count:  4,016

Nova will be approved of #10 before the next tv deal.  Book it Dano.

Agreed, the Big East needs ten to give the networks a big enough book of cached games in various markets.  Adding Nova will push the television contract at the $130-150M/year range for football.  For ten teams that pushes our football tv collection to nearly $13M, which would more than double our television revenue from football. 

Cut Nova and drop to 9 games, that drops the game cache, drops a big market....and potentially lowers the pay range considerably. 

They pulled back on Nova to explore a few other options before adding Nova and re-starting the negotiations with ESPN.  If they could somehow get Army/Navy in for 'football only' they say the television contract would jump north of the ACC on a per team pay-out.  And possibly give the football programs the strength to be able to spin off someday if the desire is there.

I am real excited to see what the next hoops tv deal will be like.  Collectively with football contract we could be looking at television rights north of our ACC brethren...in 3-5 years, and only looking up to the SEC.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Looking at this from the other side.... the fans of the Philadelphia Soul are PISSED about this. And don't write them off... they've averaged over 100% capacity (over 18k per game) both seasons they've played in PPL. They don't want to have their pitch all screwed up and I don't blame them...

Archived