Big East football facing major scheduling problems

Guest Hail Pitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Of course the CUSA game counts as an OOC game. The point is that if the BE schedule was 8 games, we'd essentially be obligated to 9 games a year, leaving us less freedom to schedule games with the likes of Miami and UNC.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smazza

• GarySJ

• 79 Bull

• NokiaBull

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

stay the course

the 9th team  will be vital to the survival of the league

the BE can't afford to make a mistake

miami was more isolated than usf and they did fine

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

try to lure penn state back

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I say let Army and Navy split a spot. They could each play 4 conference games. I know they are opposed to joining a conference but if they only had to play 4 games out of a 12 game schedule then they might consider it (if there was an incentive-say a 1/18 share of bowl revenues). Or maybe try and get ND and Army to split a spot. Force ND into it or kick them out of all the other sports. With 8 OOC games they could easily play all of their traditional rivals.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,885
  • Days Won:  6

Unless, they enforce the 5 1A home game rule, I don't see why the Sun Belt and lower WAC/MAC schools are not our home game pay days with no return.  Those schools will fill their gaps with 1AAs unless they have to have 5 1A home games, then we are screwed and would fall under hailpitt's scenario of it being extrememly difficult to NOT schedule a 1AA.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503

BE will is in a very difficult position trying to find another team.  I don't see ECU or USM amking although both run quality programs.  I don't think there is a good answer to this.  I think the BE will need two or three teams in the top 25 for the next couple of years before they can add anyone.  It will improve the perception of the league and possibly give it a better chance for a quality team or allow it to add a bottom feeder(ALA Duke,Northwestern,Miss St).

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

TOP 5 BE 9 MEMBER REASONABLE OPTIONS w/positives & negatives.  Face it.  PSU nor ND is not gonna join the BE.

Tulane - Good academic fit and decent teams/AD dept. is in shambles & time zone

MEMPHIS - Strong BB and good FB/time zone & not an academic match

USM - Strong FB and decent BB/time zone & not an academic match

ECU - location & decent FB & BB/not an academic match

tie - Marshall/UCF - location/I think it's obvious.

Guest Cardinal Empire

One small correction Bulls fans, the deal to play C-USA teams is really only for basketball purposes.  If you look at the current teams in the C-USA and their future schedules, there are not many with future open dates, meaning most will not play a C-USA school in football.  There has been a lot of talk around the Ville that our AD and President are trying hard to get ECU in and one day form a Big East of 12 members playing all sports.  Also, Sun Belt and WAC teams have already made deals to play the big boys of the Pac 10, SEC, and etc...  Right now with the 4X3 schedule in the Big East, we would need to schedule 4 or 5 OOC games each year, meaning there is a good chance that if we play a D-1AA school, we would get blasted by the other conferences, and if we go against the other schools, then we have a chance of losing more games.  The fact is that we really do need a 9th member to make everything perfect.  Also, I wish some of you would get off your 'high' horse.  I really don't think USF 'deserved' to even be in the BE since you guys really have not beaten a 'big time' team.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

CE...define big time team.  Bulls beat the Cards@RJS in 2003 and Pittsburgh@Hines field in 2001 (both bowl teams).  I'm assuming the Cards aren't considered big time nor is a 19 game home winning streak nor a head coach that reaches 50 wins faster than all coaches except four.  USF had its first down yr in 2004.  They'll be competitive from here on out.  I'm pretty sure of it especially with a better QB in house and coming in this fall.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

One small correction Bulls fans, the deal to play C-USA teams is really only for basketball purposes.  If you look at the current teams in the C-USA and their future schedules, there are not many with future open dates, meaning most will not play a C-USA school in football.  There has been a lot of talk around the Ville that our AD and President are trying hard to get ECU in and one day form a Big East of 12 members playing all sports.  Also, Sun Belt and WAC teams have already made deals to play the big boys of the Pac 10, SEC, and etc...  Right now with the 4X3 schedule in the Big East, we would need to schedule 4 or 5 OOC games each year, meaning there is a good chance that if we play a D-1AA school, we would get blasted by the other conferences, and if we go against the other schools, then we have a chance of losing more games.  The fact is that we really do need a 9th member to make everything perfect.  Also, I wish some of you would get off your 'high' horse.  I really don't think USF 'deserved' to even be in the BE since you guys really have not beaten a 'big time' team.

what do you term as 'big time' does beating UL at home in 03' classify as 'big time'.   We're hardly UL, but we've got a decent football team and athletic reputation.  Thanks for putting us down remember there's always someone higher than you on the totem pole.