Coaches work to simplify offense for Daniels, young backups

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

This is everything we thought it was.....scrambling QB's do not typically pickup reads efficiently....we are asking a kid who is an athlete to be a mathlete (if you will)....it does not suit his abilities....I agree-if Gunsby picks this up quicker-we should go to him, However-don't bench Daniels; make him a slot guy, wildcat guy, option QB

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,000
  • Days Won:  4

Well, I'll take the positive out of it that they're not necessarily simplifying all of it, just going to change the way they teach it to BJ and let him learn it in chunks and get good at portions rather than trying to have to remember all of the new style at once. I think he can do it, and be effective enough.

One thing we may end up seeing is a dual quarterback setup. Obviously because Gunsby has to be the backup, he's not going to redshirt, and because he has looked good so far, they may try using Gunsby on certain plays, and BJ on others, almost in a wildcat (toro loco?) formation, where BJ could come in for 3rd and short, and the defense won't know if he's running, passing, or handing off to a big back.

• Content Count:  3,000
  • Days Won:  4

As of right now I see it as a case of old habits die hard, meaning for two years BJ saw an offense that encouraged that type of play.  We'll see if anything changes when season starts.

I would say for more than 2 years, because he ran a similar offense in high school, where he could throw but was a dual threat and did alot with his legs. So his habits could be more like something he has been doing for 4-5 years.

• Content Count:  3,900
  • Days Won:  3

Ah, the backup QB, the most popular player on every team.

Remember how popular Daniels was behind the inept Grothe fella we had?

• Content Count:  7,096
  • Days Won:  11

wow, so we haven't even played an actual game and people are already calling for his head?  ::)

(even if they're not actually saying it)

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

To get a better flavor of exactly what Holtz has in mind, you should watch his video from yesterday talking about it. He goes on to say that all the coaches have 20+ years experience and he had upperclass QB's who played in his system for a couple of years before they had to start. So, he can't expect BJ, as only a sophmore learning a new system, to know as much about playing the position as himself or his recent starting QB's. He doesn't plan on cutting out plays, but he does want to try and get it more workable for him.

Watch the video.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?type=vod&KEY=&oemid=7700&id=718953

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Thanks Mama.....

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

As of right now I see it as a case of old habits die hard, meaning for two years BJ saw an offense that encouraged that type of play.  We'll see if anything changes when season starts.

Wha?  This board is the land of knee-jerked reactions.  First anyone that walked into this season thinking the offense was going to be great and BJ a finished project was fooling themselves.  Coach Holtz, as it says in that article, had to slow down his offensive staff and remind them that BJ is still young and learning a new offense, don't go yanking him, or benching him, or criticizing him.  This isn't about 'old habits' its about a kid that barely learned last year's offense which he learned on the fly a bit, and this February got handed an entirely new playbook to learn, and wasn't even allowed to execute half the plays in the spring because he wore a 'no contact' jersey.

This is to be expected.  Gunsby is miles behind BJ, he was running the 2nd and 3rd team offenses in the scrimmage for goodness sakes, and that was against the same type defense.  Their playbook wasn't as elaborate as BJ's and the 1st team, their reads, their playcalling.

Football takes time to develop, and it's about 11 guys not 1.  Some of the passing issues in the scrimmage also had to do with receivers not executing too.  This staff can't put BJ on an island and expect him to just tactically pick up this offense on his own.  BJ's 'old habits' have nothing to do with the old staff, but his youth habits of looking deep to often, relying to much on his rifle arm, and having happy feet-- all things Canales was working week to week to break and it was documented all last season with Canales and BJ admitting as such to the media are still not entirely broken.  Those habits were not completely broke, and you can bet with uncertainty and confusion learning the new offense BJ will revert back to those habits.

To make matters worse we don't have a particularly great rushing attack coming in.  Scott and Aycock were sought out to transfer in for a reason, without an extremely potent rushing attack to lean on the onus falls back to BJ as a runner and passer to make this offense go....hard to ask a kid to do, and be perfectly proficient at, in 2 weeks!  I just hope Vaas doesn't revert to his old pro ways and gets antsy and starts moving BJ around and destroys his confidence.

• Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

Carter also has a note that Landi got some snaps yesterday. Staff may be losing faith in BJ.

That says a lot more about Gunsby than it says about BJ.  If BJ doesn't work out, it's gonna be a looong season.  For all of the excitement about Gunsby completing a few passes, Landi getting a little work at QB tells me the staff isn't convinced he is ready to run the offense.  An alternative might be letting Gunsby redshirt and having a backup QB corps of Eppes, Eveld, Landi and prayer.

• Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe < BJ < Gunsby < Next years QB recruit

That sums up this thread.

Archived