Breakfast with the Gators this am [AKA: Gators Scouting Report]

IncrediBULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  166
  • Days Won:  0

First of all, I have to say that this post has been a great read altogether, many informative comments on what we all expect out of this team not only at UF but for the entire season.  It makes me want the season to get here even quicker.  A few more thoughts on the UF matchup-

No doubt in my mind that BJ will lead the team in rushing for this game, if not the majority of the games early in the season.  I just don't think we have the established back who is capable of carrying the load, yet, especially against a beast of a D like UF's.  His escapability will hopefully help open up the passing game for some large gains.

If BJ is able to create some plays rolling out of the backfield, which I hope Holtz will implement some bootleg plays to utilize this ability, the receivers will need to get seperation against a tough secondary.  If Lamar can get in open space from the slot in a mismatch against a safety look for him to make a big play. (Crossing my fingers on that one).

Finally, from what I've heard (wasn't able to get over to Vero on Sat) the inexperienced Dline has looked better than expected.  I wouldn't be surprised if this unit shows improvement against the run over last year's.  If they can force Rainey/Demps to run east/west we all know that we have the LB speed to seal the corners. 

Just my thoughts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

HOLY CRAP !!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT AVATAR PICTURE???  :o

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

First of all, I have to say that this post has been a great read altogether, many informative comments on what we all expect out of this team not only at UF but for the entire season.  It makes me want the season to get here even quicker.  A few more thoughts on the UF matchup-

You know, I have said that before.  I learn more on here from other people then I do from most other sources (though Greg does do a great job). 

From your comments, something that stood out to me.  Most basic teams have a two dimensional offense.  RB's and WR's so it is passing or running.  If you can add in a good TE or two, that adds a dimension.  If you have a QB that can pass and run, then that adds a dimension.  It gives you 4 options, short pass to TE, med to long pass to WR, handoff or pitch to RB/FB, or QB run.  Add another capable QB (gunsby) and you have a 5th dimension (no not talking about a late 60's early 70's folk music group). 

To win those tough games, we need to be able to use all of these methods to move the ball (that'll move the chains) downfield.  And to score. 

I do hope that for once, our offense play calls are not predictable. 

One last thought, with a mostly new team, new offense, new coaches, not likely that UF can study our game film from last year and know what he is getting.  We won't reveal much against STony Brook.  So some of this will be the first time it has been seen in a game.  Hopefully we can execute.

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

Bull94,  I know we have a lot of unknowns about this season's defensive line... but if there has been one glaring weakness about our D-line the last 2 seasons, it's that our Bulls are vunerable up the middle.  With all the new players up the middle of our defense, It would be reasonable to assume a decent o line and running back could get to 3+ypc. 

Unfortunately, until we get our younger (more talented) backs some serious playing time, BJ will lead the team in rushing.  I wouldn't expect that to change until some point mid-season at the earliest.

I don't think we'll have much luck running on the gators but we need to keep doing it regardless of the outcome.

Offense rarely looks good against a defense especially in the first real scrimmage of the year.

I remember the FSU fans on rivals saying they would run all over us. we gave up yards to wofford and wku. they just ran for 313 yds on 49 carries against #7 BYU.

Our D held them to 19 yards on 27 carries. On average they might have been lacking. don't sell them short though.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Bull94,  I know we have a lot of unknowns about this season's defensive line... but if there has been one glaring weakness about our D-line the last 2 seasons, it's that our Bulls are vunerable up the middle.  With all the new players up the middle of our defense, It would be reasonable to assume a decent o line and running back could get to 3+ypc. 

Unfortunately, until we get our younger (more talented) backs some serious playing time, BJ will lead the team in rushing.  I wouldn't expect that to change until some point mid-season at the earliest.

I don't think we'll have much luck running on the gators but we need to keep doing it regardless of the outcome.

Offense rarely looks good against a defense especially in the first real scrimmage of the year.

I remember the FSU fans on rivals saying they would run all over us. we gave up yards to wofford and wku. they just ran for 313 yds on 49 carries against #7 BYU.

Our D held them to 19 yards on 27 carries. On average they might have been lacking. don't sell them short though.

Except the best of our D just went to the NFL.  We are a bit inexperienced there now is all. 

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

Except the best of our D just went to the NFL.  We are a bit inexperienced there now is all. 

our d-line is just fine. we still have the middle. the ends were over rated. tied for 8th in the BE for sacks is nothing special(JPP). 3rd in TFFl in the BE isn't irreplaceable. sure it got him drafted high but we'll be just fine. Kion Wilson is our biggest loss concerning the front 7. Leavitt himself said Barrington is the best freshman LB he has coached.

• Content Count:  1,757

I do agree with you there 94...  we do need to keep running the ball regardless of the outcome, if nothing more then for the sake of getting the backs and o-line reps/time to gel together.  The good news is we probably won't see a run defense this tough again until we play Pitt, maybe Cinci.  If (really big IF) we can get the ground game going in Gainseville, it should mean very good things for the rest of the season.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I wouldn't read a whole lot into our last scrimmage.  Offense always lags defense, especially when a new scheme is installed.  If the rest of the scrimmages follow the same trend, then I'd be more worried.  With that said, my expectations for this year weren't that great to begin with.

• Content Count:  166

You know, I have said that before.  I learn more on here from other people then I do from most other sources (though Greg does do a great job). 

From your comments, something that stood out to me.  Most basic teams have a two dimensional offense.  RB's and WR's so it is passing or running.  If you can add in a good TE or two, that adds a dimension.  If you have a QB that can pass and run, then that adds a dimension.  It gives you 4 options, short pass to TE, med to long pass to WR, handoff or pitch to RB/FB, or QB run.   Add another capable QB (gunsby) and you have a 5th dimension (no not talking about a late 60's early 70's folk music group).   

To win those tough games, we need to be able to use all of these methods to move the ball (that'll move the chains) downfield.   And to score.   

One last thought, with a mostly new team, new offense, new coaches, not likely that UF can study our game film from last year and know what he is getting.  We won't reveal much against STony Brook.  So some of this will be the first time it has been seen in a game.  Hopefully we can execute.

Nice breakdown of the offense. 

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

From your comments, something that stood out to me.  Most basic teams have a two dimensional offense.  RB's and WR's so it is passing or running.  If you can add in a good TE or two, that adds a dimension.  If you have a QB that can pass and run, then that adds a dimension.  It gives you 4 options, short pass to TE, med to long pass to WR, handoff or pitch to RB/FB, or QB run.   Add another capable QB (gunsby) and you have a 5th dimension (no not talking about a late 60's early 70's folk music group).   

To win those tough games, we need to be able to use all of these methods to move the ball (that'll move the chains) downfield.   And to score.   

Nice breakdown of the offense. 

Your avatar makes old MacDonald happy

Archived