Breakfast with the Gators this am [AKA: Gators Scouting Report]

IncrediBULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  1

This fearsome Gator D lost 6-7 starters from last year. The redshirt frosh and sophs. that will be taking their place vs our bulls are unknown to say the least. Most of the drafted players were also starters for 2-3 years. Getting the inexperienced 4-5 star replacement early in the season is very beneficial to our chances.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

Great analysis.  I've heard a few comments that have been pretty similar to this and I hope to see us follow through on it.  To win against Florida we need cram the ball right down their throats.  If we can do that successfully in the first quarter or first half we can tire out their defense and throw them off balance.  Then we've got the opportunity to throw their defense off balance and open up more passing plays in the remainder.  It's going to be a tough game but I think that doing it early in the season is an advantage for us.

I know that it is a personal thing for me, but beating UF is probably the most important out-of-conference win that we can get this season, or maybe even in our entire history.  I'd much rather dominate the big east, but beyond that I can't think of any team that I'd enjoy winning against over Florida.  The fact that this is basically a one shot deal makes it that much more important.  They're booked up for the next 3 or 4 years, so we won't be playing them again anytime soon.  If we can beat Florida and do reasonably well in the BE, think of what it would do for recruiting in the next year or two.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  17,078
  • Days Won:  19

We can't cram the ball down the throat of a team full of grandmas right now. What makes you think we can do it versus the Gators or any other FBS team with an above average defense.

Unless our defense is AMAZING averaging less than 3 yards per carry against them is a bad sign.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ingram and Richardson might be one of the best RB duos ever. So I would read that more of Alabama being great than Florida's doine blowing.

If we're going to hurt them it will be there, because their secondary is pretty sick.

• Content Count:  1,757

exactly what Deldabull said, we can barely get 2 ypc against ourselves in scrimmage...  how are we supposed to "cram it down their throats"?

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

exactly what Deldabull said, we can barely get 2 ypc against ourselves in scrimmage...  how are we supposed to "cram it down their throats"?

maybe our d-line is halfway decent? you guys just assume it's our o-line and backs that didn't play well.

half empty - half full.

we won't cram it down anything but it is our only hope to try to run the ball. even if we continue to go 3 and out, we need the clock to run. they are more talented than us. we didn't have a back or qb that averaged under 4.4ypc last year. I know it's not the same as playing the gators but we will not beat them through the air. the only chance is to shorten the game.

• Content Count:  720

Lots of good points in this thread. Here's mine:

1) Won't be able to run the ball on them with the current backs. BJ WILL be able to run the ball on them. Turn him loose Holtz.

2) Virgin, Knowles, and Lamar/Hopkins will get yardage on them. Knowles on the sideline, Virgin up the middle, and LL/Hopkins on screens in space.

3) Our D is fast! I don't see Rainey/Demps getting to the edge and the up the gut runs were stuffed quickly in Sat. scrimmage. McLain, McCaskill, and Chandler looked good as well as Laranis.

4) Get pressue on Brantley quickly and often. We can not use the same D scheme at Alabma because UF's O will be completely different this year. Synder is VERY aggressive on D and will stunt and blitz ALOT!

5) Did I mention run BJ RUN!!!!! (this will be where we hurt them) Holtz will turn BJ loose this season after seeing how well Gunsby has been grasping the offense. Skip will not be so cautious and he will use the teams best weapon.

I don't forsee a W up there but, I expect to compete. It's going to be hot for both teams so we'll see who wants is more.

• Content Count:  1,757

Bull94,  I know we have a lot of unknowns about this season's defensive line... but if there has been one glaring weakness about our D-line the last 2 seasons, it's that our Bulls are vunerable up the middle.  With all the new players up the middle of our defense, It would be reasonable to assume a decent o line and running back could get to 3+ypc. 

Unfortunately, until we get our younger (more talented) backs some serious playing time, BJ will lead the team in rushing.  I wouldn't expect that to change until some point mid-season at the earliest.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Although we're fielding the most experienced offensive line that I can remember in recent memory, I don't think we have the horses capable of throwing a "ball-control" running attack at UF. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but we just don't have the depth yet.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Two new thoughts on this topic. 

Rivals Radio this am was talking UF.  Said their depth in skilled positions (specifically RB and WR) was very solid.  Said they had some of the top guys in the country in those positions and won't miss a beat this year.  Remember, they are ranked 3rd for a reason, even though TT is gone.

St Pete Times had article yesterday on Brantley.  He did play some last year, and racked up the yards, TD's and first downs.  He may not be TT, but he also doesn't suck.  His dad was a Gator QB and his uncle played for the Gators and the Bucs.  He comes from a lineage of Gators and football player athletes. 

Last thought, in yesterday's paper they mentioned how we only got one TD and it was running.  Our pass completion ratio sucked.  We all know that many on our D (line and secondary) are green, yet we couldn't do much against them in a scrimmage.  I gather one of two things from that, either it is early and they just havn't gelled yet and will get there, or they just aren't very good.  I don't expect us to have the kiler D we have had in past seasons, they will be good, but not to the same level where our D won us our games.  Was hoping our Offense would balance things out a bit this season.

Archived