Scrimmage Talk

cmhatter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Saturday was an early camp scrimmage.  Let's not pretend that Gunsby was playing against Florida in a midseason game.  Gunsby won't begin to threaten Daniels anytime soon.

Data. I said that Gunsby won't push BJ this year as well. But also lets not kid ourselves that Gunsby out performed BJ hands down going against the same team. So it's apples to apples.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,079

We're not the only ones to have struggles in our first team scrimmage:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/11190/weekend-scrimmage-notes-2

Seems like all Big East teams had their difficulties. It's just a matter of learning from our mistakes and getting better. I think this scrimmage laid the real foundation and shows our coaching staff where they need to go from here. There will be vast improvements by our next scrimmage Saturday, btw is that open to the public and if so anyone know what time it's going to be at?

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

After reading this, I think the uf game is becoming far more of a challenge. This really *****! All uf reports say the gay turds are just stacked and brantley is 100% accurate! Ughhhh, any other thoughts gay turds 75-7? Really, Really hope that is wrong.

Uh, yeah.  The Gator game is a long way away.  It really doesn't matter if Brantley is 100% accurate in practice.  That could mean their defense is terrible.  You cannot accurately gauge any team when it is practicing against itself.

Greatest picture ever!!!!   Clark-shi*ters full

Deep breath.  Wax on.  Wax off. 

;D

Thanks I needed that!, my mind was in panic mode.

Don't like to dampen spirits before the season begins.  BUT.  The UF game is NOT a long way away.  Less than a month actually. 

Here is how I see this game playing out.  USF's defense plays well for the first 2.5 quarters.  Then, with the offense going 3 and out most of the time, the defense tires in the hot sun and they run it up on us the last quarter.  Our offense won't score more than 10 - 14.  We have no running game other than our QB, our wideouts are young and our O-line is not built for running the ball.  Don't get your hopes up on this game fellas. 

Ricky, I wish I could say I don't agree with you, but you said exactly what was in my mind.  I figure the final will be something around USF 10 - UF 38, and most of their scoring will be second half.

I kind of hope they get the ball first, and our D shuts them down, and gets us decent field position.  Then our O gets on the board first.  That would make me very happy.  And I think the team would be pumped up and believe in themselves.  That emotion should carry them through the first half.  And with a great Skippy motivational speech at half time, they can carry the 3rd and keep it respectable. 

Provided that happens, it will be the fourth quarter when we find out what this team is made up of.  Anyone see the SNL episode with Peyton Manning and he was on a college basketball team, and their coach had the half time speech to pump them up (I think the score was like 60 - 10 or something like that).  ANyway it was very funny.  Hopefully our guys don't do the same.  http://www.marktastic.com/2009/02/will-forte-peyton-manning-dancing-on-snl/

• Content Count:  4,016

After reading this, I think the uf game is becoming far more of a challenge. This really *****! All uf reports say the gay turds are just stacked and brantley is 100% accurate! Ughhhh, any other thoughts gay turds 75-7? Really, Really hope that is wrong.

Uh, yeah.  The Gator game is a long way away.  It really doesn't matter if Brantley is 100% accurate in practice.  That could mean their defense is terrible.  You cannot accurately gauge any team when it is practicing against itself.

Greatest picture ever!!!!   Clark-shi*ters full

Deep breath.  Wax on.  Wax off. 

;D

Thanks I needed that!, my mind was in panic mode.

Don't like to dampen spirits before the season begins.  BUT.  The UF game is NOT a long way away.  Less than a month actually. 

Here is how I see this game playing out.  USF's defense plays well for the first 2.5 quarters.  Then, with the offense going 3 and out most of the time, the defense tires in the hot sun and they run it up on us the last quarter.  Our offense won't score more than 10 - 14.  We have no running game other than our QB, our wideouts are young and our O-line is not built for running the ball.  Don't get your hopes up on this game fellas. 

Sounds about right.  There is a reason Coach pursued so ardently troubled transfers like Scott, and Aycock.  Plancher is Plancher, Murray hasn't made so much as a blimp on the radar screen and now he's a gamebreaker, 'right'....and Battles is having trouble staving off Joel Miller.  Whereas the Gators are so stacked at gamebreaking RB's they move one of their plethora of 4.3 guys on offense to slot (Rainey) and are committed to running him too like a wingback.  I heard the best looking back in the scrimmage was Shaw (aside from BJ), and he's not even close to being ready.

Good gosh some of you need to stop making the UF game as such a pinnacle to the season.  We're not ready or built for that game this year.  I think the defense will do ok, (although the secondary still scares me), but our offense isn't ready...not for a Gator Offense that explosive, and that much more desiring to come out of the shell Urban put them in last year to put all the responsibility on Tebow.  They will run it up on us if they get the shot.

BTW, I know we're not the only ones that have struggled, but our struggles are and were expected by most realists.  In fact how we're struggling is how I expected.  Trouble with the passing game, and a running game that is inconsistent at best for now.  Passing game will be up and down like a yo-yo as the youth develops, and BJ struggles to learn the new offense-- that means new reads, new checkdowns, new sight lines, new scheme and set-ups.  You don't just walk-in as a QB and master that overnight, especially when he struggled to master the previous offense.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Saturday was an early camp scrimmage.  Let's not pretend that Gunsby was playing against Florida in a midseason game.  Gunsby won't begin to threaten Daniels anytime soon.

Data. I said that Gunsby won't push BJ this year as well. But also lets not kid ourselves that Gunsby out performed BJ hands down going against the same team. So it's apples to apples.

Gunsby did a lot of his work with the 2nd team offense and against the second team defense, whereas BJ did none of that.  Let'sbe fair here too, Gunsby was not running the 1st team offense for the most part and going against first team defenders like Q, Webster, Skinny, and Young who are all battle tested, albeit he did look good running 2nd team.  He ran against defenders like Jenkins, Cliett, and others who are still learning too.

• Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

I think my comments were more directed at some of the other comments I've seen than yours.  But I'm quite sure the offense that Gunsby was running was more simple than what Daniels was running.  It's a new offense, but Daniels has been running it since spring, while Gunsby has had a little over a week.  Daniels also has a couple of years of reading defenses under his belt.

For sure, Gunsby looked good.  But a scrimmage in Vero against backups is far different than going under center in The Swamp.  BJ is battle tested, Gunsby isn't.

• Content Count:  7,201

Gunsby did a lot of his work with the 2nd team offense and against the second team defense, whereas BJ did none of that.  Let'sbe fair here too, Gunsby was not running the 1st team offense for the most part and going against first team defenders like Q, Webster, Skinny, and Young who are all battle tested, albeit he did look good running 2nd team.  He ran against defenders like Jenkins, Cliett, and others who are still learning too.

That is a good point, but scary.  That our second string actually did better (scored, receivng, etc) than our first team did.  I bet Holtz didn't know exactly what he had signed up for.

That is a good point, but scary.  That our second string actually did better (scored, receivng, etc) than our first team did.   I bet Holtz didn't know exactly what he had signed up for.

It is what it is...the second team is talented at USF, as is the first team.  But we're dealing with a lot of youth in certain areas and by no shining coincidence it's areas in the passing game where we struggled in the scrimmage.  Gunsby ran 2nd team offense with a dummied down system.  People talk and act like last season BJ was mucho efficient and we only lost because of the coaching staff...not his deer in headlights look in a few games.  Dude is still learning, and now he must learn a whole new system again.  He's got to get proficient in this system before he can start to master it....I expect we'll see some serious highs and lows from the USF passing game again this year like maybe an RU and Pitt type night to go with a Syracuse, or Uconn one too.

• Content Count:  3,594

And anybody who thinks BJ was efficient last year.... just look at his completion percentage:  53.7%.  His best passing game, by far, was Louisville, going 20-35 for 304 yards.  In our losses he had a 48% comp.    So that just goes to show, even in our wins, he wasnt that efficient.  He would get most of his passing yards from 40-50 yard bombs.  Look at the FSU game.  Take away the Griffin and Wilson plays, and you got 6-19 for 65 yards.  Syracuse:  take out Mitchell's second-half opening bomb, and you got 11-19 for 123 yards. 

Yes, I love the big plays as much as everyone else here.  But this offense doesnt have the weapons for that this season.... that we know of, yet.  I think we'll find a couple of guys capable of hitting the homerun.  But as of right now it is only fair to say that our offense is anything but threatening until BJ loosens up and just plays the game without trying too hard and our receivers play with a little more focus catching the ball.

I mentioned earlier that I would rather have all of this garbage happen NOW instead of on September 4th.  I have infinite faith in Coach Holtz that he will fix these issues and then have them nearly perfected by October 9th, when the season IMHO officially matters.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

More strategy and less panic would be nice from our qb play

Archived