BullsPenner's reports from Vero

SRQ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Put it this way, the offensive side has a long ways to go. Gunsby looked like the starter instead of Daniels. Daniels play was very inconsistent with a lot of bad throws. All the backs ran real hard, but the DL & LB dominated the scrimmage. Virgin and Knowles are gonna be some really good players this year.

Yes, but was Gunsby playing against first or second team defense.  Not an apples to apples comparison, unless both were playing against first team defenses.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

Ok guys I was there from start to finish and this is how I saw it:

Defense: Dominate!!!

Didn't matter if it was first or sec D in there they were simple dominating the entire field. RB couldn't run up the middle for nothing. Only Fresh. Shaw showed good vision and speed to cut and get outside for some pretty decent games. D was hitting and hitting hard out there. Raymond, Jenkins, and Cliet all had INTs. Raymond almost ran his back about 60 yards showing some really nice moves. Laranis looked great as well as the rest of the LBs. Claude Davis looked great as well. DBs were GREAT as well. Mitchell looked really good out there and Skinny was all over the place.

Offense: Struggle

BJ looked very rusty throwing. Nothing like the accuracy clinic he put on at the spring game. He was over throwing people by 5-10 yards on deep balls and 1-2 feet over their heads on short routes. He did however look GREAT running the ball. No doubt that BJ was the most impressive of the ball carriers. Gunsby on the other hand look great. Stood in the pocket looking over the line. Had plenty of "shake" to him to avoid a sack or arm tackles. Showed really good touch on the intermediate routes and plenty of arm for the 58 yard rec by Hornes. Gunsby looked really good on designed runs as well. Kid has great vision and like I said plenty of shake to juke out defenders.

Receiving corp had a rough day besides Bravo-Brown and Virgin. Virgin is going to be huge for us this year. Lamar, Hopkins, Bogan, and Landi were all very inconsistent but, the coverage of the DBs today was unreal. Virgin was the only guy that could get open over the middle on a regular basis and when he did he would attack the ball in the air and looked good. TJ Knowles look good too but, he had to go out before half from the heat.

Running Backs were NOT good with the exception of Shaw. Mo, Murry, Battles, and Miller were all stuffed at the line or knocked out of bound when trying to turn the corner. Shaw on the other hand showed really good vision, nice cut backs with great balance, and plenty of speed to turn the corner. He runs towards the contact too and doesn't shy away.

OL looked decent. Eatmon took a bunch of snaps and did really well. They provide good pass protection but, were still unable to open up running holes.

We can't forget that this is a new Offense and it's going to take a little more time to fine tune it. Defense is always ahead of offense so I'm not that concerned yet. I do think that Gunsby has locked down the back up spot and will get some playing time this year. With him being as mobile as he is I can see him in some wildcat stuff with BJ out wide. Gunsby is a threat in the air and on the ground.

• Content Count:  8,489
  • Days Won:  8

Thanks, Lmi!

• Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

****, sounds like we should move BJ to RB, and have Gunsby start.

• Content Count:  5,595

Also, is T-Rex starting?  Greg said he got the first tackle of the game.

• Content Count:  720

Also, is T-Rex starting?  Greg said he got the first tackle of the game.

T-Rex is a monster and looks GREAT on KR & PR too! Lamar also looked good in the PR game. And while I'm at it Bogan looked really good in the KR game actually taking a pseudo KR all the way to the house once and almost again the very next time. Blocking on special teams looked much better. PR guys could actually catch the ball and have a little space. Both punter were a little hit or miss but, when they hit they HIT! Big punts, high, and long.

• Content Count:  4,879

Great report, thanks!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

This is a really nice video. I'm sure some posters here will recognize themselves.  ;D

VBSV Exclusive: A Tribute to Bulls Fans

TAMPA - Nearly 500 fans ventured to the Vero Beach Sports Village for the University of South Florida's football scrimmage on Aug. 14.

After the game, the Bulls greeted the fans and signed autographs.

FDJWNKBHLEYEDCL.20100815060853.jpg

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=204977530&DB_OEM_ID=7700

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

If Gunsby is a better fit-I feel holtz will pull the trigger, it's a competition, so let them compete

• Content Count:  3,755

Put it this way, the offensive side has a long ways to go. Gunsby looked like the starter instead of Daniels. Daniels play was very inconsistent with a lot of bad throws. All the backs ran real hard, but the DL & LB dominated the scrimmage. Virgin and Knowles are gonna be some really good players this year.

Yes, but was Gunsby playing against first or second team defense.  Not an apples to apples comparison, unless both were playing against first team defenses.

I could be mistaken but i think they both rotated playing versus the 1's and 2's.

Archived