Hypothetical: 2009 Season Results

IncrediBULL

We finished 7 - 5 last season. In your opinion, if Holtz and his new assistants had been here last season, how would we have finished the season?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

You need to think forward, Socrates, forward.

Great advice.  You should consider taking it.

As for me, I am looking forward.  Forward to a day where we don't collapse mid way through the season.  Forward to when we have consistent play through the season, and where if we can beat ranked teams but also beat the unranked ones that we are favored to win.  Forward to a day we finish in the upper half of the BE.  Forward to the day we win the BE.  Forward to the day we get our first BCS bowl.  Forward to the day we FINISH a season ranked in the polls.  Looking forward, all of these things will come to USF in the next 4 - 5 years under our leader.

Yep, there is plenty to look forward to.  Heck, I can even look in the rearview and see 11 decent seasons of football, before the slide.  Those were great times and excellent memories. 

Now, I am ready to enjoy some great USF football this fall.  Fan fest was a blast.  Holtz was very charismatic, and high energy, and an overall great guy to meet.  Seen him a couple of times now, and I really like him.   His assistants seem to have a plan to get it done.  They believe will do better in the BE than projected, which is a good thing.  I don't want to tie last year's results and I don't think they do either.  Not hearing excuses from them about lacking WR's or anything, but positive remarks that we are going to win games.   Most of all, I am looking forward to our ascent over the next few years.

that was a **** good post

Yea, had a little fun with it too.  :D

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for me, I am looking forward.  Forward to a day where we don't collapse mid way through the season.  Forward to when we have consistent play through the season, and where if we can beat ranked teams but also beat the unranked ones that we are favored to win.  Forward to a day we finish in the upper half of the BE.  Forward to the day we win the BE.  Forward to the day we get our first BCS bowl.  Forward to the day we FINISH a season ranked in the polls.  Looking forward, all of these things will come to USF in the next 4 - 5 years under our leader.

Yep, there is plenty to look forward to.  Heck, I can even look in the rearview and see 11 decent seasons of football, before the slide.  Those were great times and excellent memories. 

Now, I am ready to enjoy some great USF football this fall.  Fan fest was a blast.  Holtz was very charismatic, and high energy, and an overall great guy to meet.  Seen him a couple of times now, and I really like him.   His assistants seem to have a plan to get it done.  They believe will do better in the BE than projected, which is a good thing.  I don't want to tie last year's results and I don't think they do either.  Not hearing excuses from them about lacking WR's or anything, but positive remarks that we are going to win games.   Most of all, I am looking forward to our ascent over the next few years.

Isn't it interesting in the only head to head meeting between the coaches Holtz got the **** kicked out of him?

Wow, really  Hardly can compare an ECU/CUSA team versus a USF/Big East / BCS team in terms of recruits, etc.  Holtz is amazing at what he did in a place that is really hard to build a team.  It is not like NC comes to mind when you think of football powerhouse states.  Yet, he was able to build a team that won their conference twice.  BTW, Hotlz won the CUSA title twice, USF won it zero times when we were in it.  And we cannot get to the halfway mark in the BE either, so it is not exactly like we are tearing it up. 

Isn't it interesting in the only head to head meeting between the coaches Holtz got the **** kicked out of him?

Wow, really  Hardly can compare an ECU/CUSA team versus a USF/Big East / BCS team in terms of recruits, etc.  Holtz is amazing at what he did in a place that is really hard to build a team.  It is not like NC comes to mind when you think of football powerhouse states.   Yet, he was able to build a team that won their conference twice.  BTW, Hotlz won the CUSA title twice, USF won it zero times when we were in it.  And we cannot get to the halfway mark in the BE either, so it is not exactly like we are tearing it up. 

when holtz buttfucks the **** out of leavitts record in the big east hopefully mizzou will dissappear

Won't take long considering our BE record the past 5 seasons.

'05 we were 4 - 3

'06  4 - 3

'07 4 - 3

'08 2 - 5

'09  3 - 4

So basically we have had at least 2 teams bypass us in our time in the BE considering our first three years were identical results, then we slipped by adding 2 losses, and gained one back.  We are currently in a worse place in the BE than we were when we started and we hadn't had the opportunity to recruit with the Big East conference name, and the BCS Tag.  How do you go backwards in a time that you should be advancing?

If we can go 3 - 4 this year, 4 - 3 next year, 5 - 2 or 6 - 1 the following year, I'd call that progress. 

I remember Spurrier when he was at UF, each year he would say the same thing, our number one goal is to win the conference.  We have had to settle for moral victories, now it is time to get the job done.

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

Mizzou - Welcome to looking forward and to the future of USF football.

For sport.  You entertain us. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,915
  • Days Won:  494

I don't think we had to settle for moral victories.  We had to settle for victories over ranked teams like Auburn, West Va., Kansas, FSU (were they ranked?) and other marquee wins.  We couldn't translate the passion for one marquee game into 7 conference games.

Just like this year, some would rather have a win over the Gators and Canes than a BE championship.

Leavitt seemed to believe the big wins would get us on the map and competing for recruits and fans more than a BE Championship, although he thought it important still.

This is an old argument... 

• Content Count:  7,096
  • Days Won:  11

I don't think we had to settle for moral victories.  We had to settle for victories over ranked teams like Auburn, West Va., Kansas, FSU (were they ranked?) and other marquee wins.  We couldn't translate the passion for one marquee game into 7 conference games.

Just like this year, some would rather have a win over the Gators and Canes than a BE championship.

Leavitt seemed to believe the big wins would get us on the map and competing for recruits and fans more than a BE Championship, although he thought it important still.

This is an old argument... 

looks like they were #18

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  76,331
  • Days Won:  439

And he was right ...

And he was right ...

To an extent, yes.  Winning big games against a nationally ranked (or Florida based) team got us media and fan attention on a national level.  However, the mid season collapse, inability to end a season ranked, and our lack of competing for a BE championship (or even coming in in the top 3) has left those same people with a bad taste in their mouths.  They feel duped.  Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice, etc...    For them to "rally" around us we would need to do more than just the first half of the season, and they would need to see we are for real.  Consider, we could win our first 8 games in a season, lose the next 4, and end up finishing 5th in the conference and once again unranked.  That is the problem, no one knows what to expect from us.  Our team, during the past three seasons, has only proven to be a contradiction. 

If Skip can do only one thing, it would be to bring some consistency into the team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  76,331
  • Days Won:  439

And he was right ...

To an extent, yes.  Winning big games against a nationally ranked (or Florida based) team got us media and fan attention on a national level.  However, the mid season collapse, inability to end a season ranked, and our lack of competing for a BE championship (or even coming in in the top 3) has left those same people with a bad taste in their mouths.  They feel duped.   Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice, etc...    For them to "rally" around us we would need to do more than just the first half of the season, and they would need to see we are for real.  Consider, we could win our first 8 games in a season, lose the next 4, and end up finishing 5th in the conference and once again unranked.  That is the problem, no one knows what to expect from us.  Our team, during the past three seasons, has only proven to be a contradiction. 

If Skip can do only one thing, it would be to bring some consistency into the team.

Eventually, it will be about the conf championship and higher, but right now it's more about the recruiting than anything else to keep building the foundation ... and the recruiting hinges more on winning big games than conf championships. Maybe just my opinion, but athletes/recruits in this state don't give a crap about BE championships as far as an attention getter ... Beating Auburn, FSU, Miami, UF opens eyes up. The really good players want a good chance to play for national championships. Just winning the BE doesn't tell them we're a good enough program to do that ... beating the Big 3 does.

Archived