Hypothetical: 2009 Season Results

IncrediBULL

We finished 7 - 5 last season. In your opinion, if Holtz and his new assistants had been here last season, how would we have finished the season?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

What a thoughtful person you are!

I'm going to have to call you Socrates because you think things through so much.

So...Socrates.  Please explain Bob Stoops' slide.  You know, he and Jim were co-defensive coordinators together at Kansas State.  Do you think it's a flaw in Bill Snyder's mentoring program?

PS...For someone that didn't want to reply to me you sure wrote out a lot of, well, masturbation.

Really, that response was what you could come up with.  You just look defensive and immature. 

Would you like to take a shot at it, Rizzo?

Mizzou you just proved my point.    You get off the Leavitt kick, we all appreciate him and what he has done.  I don't think anyone else could do it.  Stuff happens.  Move on.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

I'm going to have to call you Socrates because you think things through so much.

So...Socrates.  Please explain Bob Stoops' slide.  You know, he and Jim were co-defensive coordinators together at Kansas State.  Do you think it's a flaw in Bill Snyder's mentoring program?

PS...For someone that didn't want to reply to me you sure wrote out a lot of, well, masturbation.

crazy how different their career paths went....

So you agree taking the USF start up job was a mistake?

not at all

Now wait a minute.

You can't have it both ways.  If you want to talk about career paths then obviously it was a mistake for Leavitt to take the USF job.  Jim was the first to leave KSU to take the USF job.  Had he held out maybe he would have been the one former University of Missouri Athletic Director Joe Castiglione would have hired at Oklahoma instead of Stoops.

hypotheticals....

coulda woulda shoulda :P

No, no, Young hatter, we are talking about career paths, so focus on that and not attempt to diffuse and deflect.  Leavitt took the career path to be the first to leave the KSU coaching staff to accept the job at USF.  Bob Stoops held back, left to be the DC at Florida in '96 and then to OU in '99.

So again I ask, was Leavitt's career path to USF a mistake?

what you were saying was completely hypothetical... u said if he stayed it woulda been him rather than stoops.

Why would Leavitt's career path be a bad choice? Come to build a program in his home area. It just so happens he made it a success then lost his mind.

Stoops is far an away better than Leavitt its not even close...

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

leavitt had a much easier path to a BCS bowl

but he pooped his pants

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

He gets a pass this year.  Should make us top 5 in BE next year 2011.  Look for us to be top 3 the following 2012.  And then top 2 competing for a title 2013.  He would need to win the BE by 2014 and have us in a BCS bowl game.  If we go 7 - 5 this year, expect one more win each year for the next 4 seasons.  The fans would be excited about that, and it would prove he was the right hire at the right time, to take the torch and run with it.

A BCS Bowl Game??  Wow!

So why are you being so patient with Hotz, but not Leavitt?

Leavitt had 5 years.

you only need to win the BE in order to go to a BCS game.

I guess it doesn't matter that the program did not exist only a few years before, huh?  I guess it does not matter the program was pushed to D-1 at warp speed, huh?

"No excuses because we are by gawd South Florida!"

In the real world of college football we call this kind of thinking "delusional." 

It doesn't matter. we will always be younger than every other BCS team in existence. we can always use that excuse.

UConn went D-1a at the same time. They have shared a BE title and Edsall has to recruit to a college football wasteland.

Leavitt recruited within 120 mile radius of the top 5 most fertile recruiting grounds in college football.

Cincy went 4-7 in 2005 with a loss to USF. USF went 6-5 that same year. Their facilities are worse than ours and they had absolutely no history.

Cincy went 12-0 and 11-2 the last 2 years. we were 7-5 and 7-5. who made progress and who stood still?

Agreed.   

Which is why Brian Kelly has gotten one of the most desireable coaching positions in the country, from one of the most storied programs, making a ton of money.  HE PRODUCED RESULTS.   

People want winners and are willing to pay for it.  Have you noticed that during the coaching searches the past two years, Leavitt's name was no longer thrown around in the press and on coaching searches for the big jobs?  That is because no one would give a coach with mediocre results a job at say $3 or $4M.  They would be of their rocker to do so.

Last year, we ended as a below average team, in second to last weakest BCS conference.  With a rough national ranking in the 50's.   Not exactly anything to cheer about.

Notre Dame??

When's the last time they did anything?  Oh, yeah...it was 1988 under some guy named Holtz.  He won the NC in a game they called "The Catholics Against the Convicts."  It seems like you guys have a lot of convicts in South Florida.  If being in the Elite of the College Football world were as simple as you guys think it is then everybody would be doing it.  Both California and Texas put more players in the NFL than does Florida so why aren't long established programs like Cal, UCLA, Stanford always right up in the Top Ten with USC?   Why isn't Texas Tech, Texas A&M and even SMU always up in the Top 10 with Texas?  Maybe because there are other universities like Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Nebraska, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Penn State, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Arkansas Iowa, Oregon, as well as those upstarts like Boise State and Utah might have something to say about it.

So you boys think you should be given a seat at the table with the Big Dogs of College Football just because of your location and because you scraped up enough money to pony up the minimum coaching buy-in?  It takes a lot more than just that to get to the top and a hell of a lot more than that to stay there.  Hell, I doubt in a 10 game series over the next 10 years South Florida could even beat Missouri more than 2 or 3 times and they're not even ranked.

Nobody here is talking national championship. we just want to be competitive in our conference. It should not be that difficult to out recruit our BE opponents. Half of them are located in a virtual wasteland of college football recruits. We play in a basketball conference.

Leavitt had 5 years to prove he could compete for a BE title and he showed that he can't. He produced average(or actually below average) results in a below average conference. He finished in the top 4 just once in 5 years and that was at #4.

He was paid better than an average coach in our conference and therefore he was expected to produce better than average results. In fact, he was the second highest paid coach in our conference.

An average coach at an average program in a conference of 8 teams should win a BE title once every 8 years. Leavitt was going in the wrong direction. His results were only getting worse.

there were 2 programs we were better than the last few years. UofL and syracuse. They both hired new coaches.

• Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

Upon what do you base your conclusion Stoops would be a better interview?

Seriously?  You are a hoot!

I've seen them both on TV many, many times.  Are you really going to tell me that Bob Stoops isn't far better at speaking than Leavitt?

Reading this thread, I don't think you are Leavitt's "friend".  You are Leavitt.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Reading this thread, I don't think you are Leavitt's "friend".  You are Leavitt.

I'm starting to think the same thing... no one can be that jaded on so many issues from so many angles... He's defiantly got JL's inability to let go and move on...  ::)

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Really, that response was what you could come up with.  You just look defensive and immature. 

Would you like to take a shot at it, Rizzo?

Mizzou you just proved my point.    You get off the Leavitt kick, we all appreciate him and what he has done.  I don't think anyone else could do it.  Stuff happens.  Move on.

Move on?

I think you should be giving that advice to Socrates.

Everyone is trying to move on, but you seem hell bent in dragging things into the past.  In reviewing some of your posting history, it seems to me that you are neither a supporter of USF, or a friend of this board, in your attacks on everyone and everything.  You act high and mighty, as if you are trying to preserve the legacy of of Leavitt, when in fact you are alienating people and polarizing them even more than they are.  Case in point, me.  As posted, I still have a lot of pride in what CJL did for 13 seasons for us, well at least for 11 seasons.  But when we get into a board battle with people who really add little value to the conversation, it weakens that memory a bit.  People want to move forward, though to never compare to the past, or past struggles, or mistakes, would be ignorant.  If we want to get to the next level, doing the same as we did in the past will not get us there.

The people you attack with your senseless agenda, are all people who are doing things to help USF go forward.  Donating to this board.  Donating to Athletics.  Going to games.  Buying season tickets.  Supporting athletics.  Supporting the Alumni assn.  You bring no value to anything that has helped USF, or will help USF going forward.  Just the presence of you on this board, is counter productive to building the program through support of recruits, the media, etc.  How is that helping USF, it isn't.  5000 members of this board, and 99% care about USF and want us to continue to progress in athletics and academics.

Half of the time when I have read your posts in the past, I wonder if you are even a friend of Leavitts.  You could be a UCF or other BE school poser.  You could be a disgruntled ex player, or someone the staff overlooked and didn't take.  You could be any number of things as everyone on the internet message boards use an alias.  Not that I care who you are, or do others on here.  Really it is irrelevent.  The sooner this whole Leavitt controversy dies down.  The sooner you fade into the landscape.  The sooner the program will put the ugliness of this chapter behind us and we (those who have a vested interest in USF, and care about it) will be able to move on.  However, I suspect you will be here for a long long time, until well after the point where the welcome has been worn out.

He gets a pass this year.  Should make us top 5 in BE next year 2011.  Look for us to be top 3 the following 2012.  And then top 2 competing for a title 2013.  He would need to win the BE by 2014 and have us in a BCS bowl game.  If we go 7 - 5 this year, expect one more win each year for the next 4 seasons.  The fans would be excited about that, and it would prove he was the right hire at the right time, to take the torch and run with it.

A BCS Bowl Game??  Wow!

So why are you being so patient with Hotz, but not Leavitt?

Leavitt had 5 years.

you only need to win the BE in order to go to a BCS game.

I guess it doesn't matter that the program did not exist only a few years before, huh?  I guess it does not matter the program was pushed to D-1 at warp speed, huh?

"No excuses because we are by gawd South Florida!"

In the real world of college football we call this kind of thinking "delusional." 

It doesn't matter. we will always be younger than every other BCS team in existence. we can always use that excuse.

UConn went D-1a at the same time. They have shared a BE title and Edsall has to recruit to a college football wasteland.

Leavitt recruited within 120 mile radius of the top 5 most fertile recruiting grounds in college football.

Cincy went 4-7 in 2005 with a loss to USF. USF went 6-5 that same year. Their facilities are worse than ours and they had absolutely no history.

Cincy went 12-0 and 11-2 the last 2 years. we were 7-5 and 7-5. who made progress and who stood still?

Agreed.   

Which is why Brian Kelly has gotten one of the most desireable coaching positions in the country, from one of the most storied programs, making a ton of money.  HE PRODUCED RESULTS.   

People want winners and are willing to pay for it.  Have you noticed that during the coaching searches the past two years, Leavitt's name was no longer thrown around in the press and on coaching searches for the big jobs?  That is because no one would give a coach with mediocre results a job at say $3 or $4M.  They would be of their rocker to do so.

Last year, we ended as a below average team, in second to last weakest BCS conference.  With a rough national ranking in the 50's.   Not exactly anything to cheer about.

Notre Dame??

When's the last time they did anything?  Oh, yeah...it was 1988 under some guy named Holtz.  He won the NC in a game they called "The Catholics Against the Convicts."  It seems like you guys have a lot of convicts in South Florida.  If being in the Elite of the College Football world were as simple as you guys think it is then everybody would be doing it.  Both California and Texas put more players in the NFL than does Florida so why aren't long established programs like Cal, UCLA, Stanford always right up in the Top Ten with USC?   Why isn't Texas Tech, Texas A&M and even SMU always up in the Top 10 with Texas?  Maybe because there are other universities like Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Nebraska, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Penn State, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Arkansas Iowa, Oregon, as well as those upstarts like Boise State and Utah might have something to say about it.

So you boys think you should be given a seat at the table with the Big Dogs of College Football just because of your location and because you scraped up enough money to pony up the minimum coaching buy-in?  It takes a lot more than just that to get to the top and a hell of a lot more than that to stay there.  Hell, I doubt in a 10 game series over the next 10 years South Florida could even beat Missouri more than 2 or 3 times and they're not even ranked.

LOL.  Notre Dame has more money than just about anyone but God, and they have him on speed dial.  They are the ONLY team in america that can be independent in Football yet in a BCS for other sports, and still get a shot at the NC, and ink their own contract.  What they have done in a decade and a half doesn't matter to America.  They are storied, and ALL of the national media follows them and considers them relevent.  Missouri could not do what ND does.  Missouri could 10 back to back NC's and still wouldn't get the press and tv contracts that ND has.  Don't kid yourself.  I am not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is.  Kelly and ole Wanny outcoached USF for the past 3 seasons.  Created top 15 teams.  And Kelly got himself a big ole payday.  You say you have CJL on your cell phone, ask him the next time if he would rather be in his boat or at ND making $4M a year.   

And Ohio State.  Don't get me started.  The big 10 has been weak for nearly a decade.  OSU ahs gotten pummeled in bowl games because they suck yet they are the best the Big 10 can offer up.  Because of their history, they get a fress pass.  Because some of the ESPN analysts played there, the talk them up week after week to ensure they get votes, until they suffer too many losses in a season that they have to drop.  What a joke if you cannot recognize that.  Ohio State hasn't been relevent in a long time.  Last year, the SEC championship game in December WAS the NC.

I thought this was the sub board for pissing and moaning on everything that happened in the past?  Must have really stepped over the line on this one.

Too bad I didn't get the last post in before it was locked.  I had some good stuff I was holding back.  :D

(this is a satirical post, not to be taken seriously)

• Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

did you ever get to see the post I made regarding the recruits that werent on the team anymore as part of that 'top25 class' ?

i know it is in the past but i was dying for u to see it

Archived