Greg Auman

bullwark

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

I remember speaking with him when he first got the USF beat. Of course, I had some suggestions.  ;D

Did he take them to heart ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I remember speaking with him when he first got the USF beat. Of course, I had some suggestions.  ;D

I think he took one of them. At the time, there was a big battle going on with our QB recruits. Fayson had given us a verbal and then there was Hill, Grothe and Denson. I think Brett was stirring up trouble between them. I told him to stay out of it or he would be blamed. Fayson eventually decommitted, through no fault of Greg.

• Content Count:  8,489
  • Days Won:  8

Best beat writer in America.

:cheers

Thanks Greg!  Couldn't start my day without your blog.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Greg is DA MAN.

• Content Count:  4,738

I think he took one of them. At the time, there was a big battle going on with our QB recruits. Fayson had given us a verbal and then there was Hill, Grothe and Denson. I think Brett was stirring up trouble between them. I told him to stay out of it or he would be blamed. Fayson eventually decommitted, through no fault of Greg.

so we have McMurphy to thank for the Grothe era?

so we have McMurphy to thank for the Grothe era?

NO. Actually, that was MY suggestion to Leavitt. LOL

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

This reminds me of when USF was recruiting Xavier Lee and Matt Grothe, I used to play racquetball with a local HS Football Coach that has since retired and his team played against both players and I asked him about the games each played and who was better.  He raved about Xavier his ability to pass and run and the level of athlete he was.  I asked who won, he said the team he coached had won the game they knocked the ball out of Lee's hand that eventually led to the winning TD.  I then asked about MG, and his reply was that he was okay, average passer and average runner.  I asked him who won the game and he said that his team was winning throughout the game until the 4th qtr, Matt made some plays and led them on two scoring drives to come from behind and win the game.  The last TD  he said was lucky, Matt escaped a sure sack and threw for the winning TD.  Following that I told the Coach I'll take the winner everytime regardless of athletic ability.

• Content Count:  574

Great story. I guess Matt got "lucky" a lot over his career, because he made plays like that seemingly every single game that he played in a Bulls uniform.  I remember the Pitt game a few years ago the most.  He made some plays in that game that I still cannot believe happened.

And back on topic.  GA is the best beat writer at both local papers for all the pro and college teams and its not even close.  We are very lucky to have him covering the Bulls.  Watch any of the press conferences and you will see he asks like 90% of the questions. Its like the rest of the writers just ride off his coat tails for their quotes or something. Why are they even there?   Greg is amazing.

This reminds me of when USF was recruiting Xavier Lee and Matt Grothe, I used to play racquetball with a local HS Football Coach that has since retired and his team played against both players and I asked him about the games each played and who was better.  He raved about Xavier his ability to pass and run and the level of athlete he was.  I asked who won, he said the team he coached had won the game they knocked the ball out of Lee's hand that eventually led to the winning TD.  I then asked about MG, and his reply was that he was okay, average passer and average runner.  I asked him who won the game and he said that his team was winning throughout the game until the 4th qtr, Matt made some plays and led them on two scoring drives to come from behind and win the game.  The last TD  he said was lucky, Matt escaped a sure sack and threw for the winning TD.  Following that I told the Coach I'll take the winner everytime regardless of athletic ability.

Matt always had "IT".

Anybody who watched him throughout HS "should" have known that.

The knock on him was mostly his height. Marquel Blackwell, was as short as him and he had a hell of a career at USF. In fact, despite his height, he even put in a very good performance in a preseason NFL game with the Jets.

There is a HS QB in Tampa right NOW who we have not offered, who is having the same problem getting offers from major programs because of his height. His numbers are AMAZING! If I get to speak with Holtz, I'll make a suggestion to HIM too.  ;)

Hiwever, I'm pretty sure Holtz already knows about him, since Jefferson Quarterback Quentin Williams led the Dragons to an impressive win at the 2010 USF Sling & Shoot.

Biography:

SOPHOMORE: Talented quarterback prospect who threw for 2,200 yards, 21 touchdowns, and nine picks.

JUNIOR: Led the Tampa area with 3,258 passing yards, 35 TDs, and six interceptions. Williams ran for another 550 yards and eight TDs. He was named Offensive Player of the Year for Hillsborough County. Named First Team All State QB for the 3A classification.

http://hsflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=376&p=8&c=1&nid=4490222

• Content Count:  259

Hate the new comment setup for the new blog.  Sucks.  Old way worked much better.

Archived