With the faux controversy last season...

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,412
  • Days Won:  0

another thing they take away from the poor athletes

the hypocrisy of the NCAA is absolutely ridiculous...

I threw up in my mouth listening to them bad mouth agents for taking advantage of these athletes.

These schools are getting filthy rich off these kids!  The forbes article on the value of various ncaa teams was astonishing!

Isn't there a recent report that stated that only a very small precentage of Collegiate Athletic Programs make money? You have to remember, it's not just football and basketball. At most schools all of the other sports are funded by the two majors. I'm not saying that the system is without fault. But to put the ncaa and the agents on the same level of blame is ridiculous. We all know that the average NFL career is something like 3 years long, and that most of the players no not make millions of duckets. On the other hand, and good education can net you how much money for how many years, AND you get to walk when you retire.

you are correct, the NCAA and their schools takes advantage of the athletes way more than the few agents do!

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

I threw up in my mouth listening to them bad mouth agents for taking advantage of these athletes.

These schools are getting filthy rich off these kids!  The forbes article on the value of various ncaa teams was astonishing!

Isn't there a recent report that stated that only a very small precentage of Collegiate Athletic Programs make money? You have to remember, it's not just football and basketball. At most schools all of the other sports are funded by the two majors. I'm not saying that the system is without fault. But to put the ncaa and the agents on the same level of blame is ridiculous. We all know that the average NFL career is something like 3 years long, and that most of the players no not make millions of duckets. On the other hand, and good education can net you how much money for how many years, AND you get to walk when you retire.

that report is absolutely bogus. do you think the athletic directors and coaches want you to know how much cash BCS football programs bring in. The big ten paid out $22M last year. That's before tickets(100k stadiums), booster donations, concessions, parking, jersey sales,etc. I guarantee they use fuzzy math to claim this. there is no way any big ten athletic department loses money. same with the SEC, ACC, most of the big 12 and probably all of the pac ten.

Check out UF's university site. they say that a typical UF student has expenses of $16k per year. That includes books, tuition, meals, car, car insurance, computer, housing and incidentals. They only have 85 scholarship players on the football team.

That's 85 x $16k = $1.36M a year. That's all it "costs" them in football scholarships. They probably make that much selling popcorn at the games let alone jersey sales, etc. Sunsports paid them $10M last year just for the local rights to their games.

How much does Foley make? how about meyer? donovan? Hell we pay our coach close to $2M per year. Don't tell me there isn't enough money to give the kids who earn it a little something.

How about $20k for BCS scholarship football players  if they earn their degree? At most we would have an average of 21.25 players graduate a year. That's 100% rate with  no red shirts. That's $425k a year. Chump change for just about any bcs program. Force all BCS programs to do this and they can adjust the coaches salaries down eventually. they are way out of hand any way.

All 66 programs x 21.25 graduates per year x $20k upon graduation = $28M per year. They probably make that off of the tv rights to the NC game alone. That's of course assuming 100% graduation rate with no red shirts. Assume a 60% graduation rate and the payout is less than 1 BCS game.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

that report is absolutely bogus. do you think the athletic directors and coaches want you to know how much cash BCS football programs bring in. The big ten paid out $22M last year. That's before tickets(100k stadiums), booster donations, concessions, parking, jersey sales,etc. I guarantee they use fuzzy math to claim this. there is no way any big ten athletic department loses money. same with the SEC, ACC, most of the big 12 and probably all of the pac ten.

Check out UF's university site. they say that a typical UF student has expenses of $16k per year. That includes books, tuition, meals, car, car insurance, computer, housing and incidentals. They only have 85 scholarship players on the football team.

That's 85 x $16k = $1.36M a year. That's all it "costs" them in football scholarships. They probably make that much selling popcorn at the games let alone jersey sales, etc. Sunsports paid them $10M last year just for the local rights to their games.

How much does Foley make? how about meyer? donovan? Hell we pay our coach close to $2M per year. Don't tell me there isn't enough money to give the kids who earn it a little something.

How about $20k for BCS scholarship football players  if they earn their degree? At most we would have an average of 21.25 players graduate a year. That's 100% rate with  no red shirts. That's $425k a year. Chump change for just about any bcs program. Force all BCS programs to do this and they can adjust the coaches salaries down eventually. they are way out of hand any way.

All 66 programs x 21.25 graduates per year x $20k upon graduation = $28M per year. They probably make that off of the tv rights to the NC game alone. That's of course assuming 100% graduation rate with no red shirts. Assume a 60% graduation rate and the payout is less than 1 BCS game.

Sorry man, you're right. We should all protest by not supporting the ncaa, and their partners in crime aka the universities. I mean without fans, to give them money, they would go away. right? Just so you know, the coaches salaries are NOT paid entirely by the university. There is a limit on how much a state employee can make. Any money after that is paid for by boosters, speaking arrangements and contracts with Nike, Under Armour, Adidas etc....

As for costs of athletic programs, don't forget to add the expenses of travel, lodging, food on the road, additional staff for ALL sports. How much does it cost to fly, lodge and feed a track team, women's softball, basketball,baseball, soccer, golf, swimming, gymnastics etc.....There are many more expenses that you are not accounting for. Sorry, your cost analysis is incomplete at best.

The kids are not forced to play anything, they can go to school and pay for it with financial aid, or academic scholarships..... It is not a right to play football, or any other sport. As public institutions, I'm pretty sure that in Florida they are subject to sunshine laws, so they can't cover up public athletic expenses or income. Boosters, and endorsements are all private.

BTW, I don't know where you got your 16K amount for uf students, but follow this link to the uf site, and read for yourself. 

http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/basics/cost-of-attendance/

FSU  http://financialaid.fsu.edu/apply/cost_ungrad.html

• Content Count:  1,412
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry man, you're right. We should all protest by not supporting the ncaa, and their partners in crime aka the universities. I mean without fans, to give them money, they would go away. right? Just so you know, the coaches salaries are NOT paid entirely by the university. There is a limit on how much a state employee can make. Any money after that is paid for by boosters, speaking arrangements and contracts with Nike, Under Armour, Adidas etc....

As for costs of athletic programs, don't forget to add the expenses of travel, lodging, food on the road, additional staff for ALL sports. How much does it cost to fly, lodge and feed a track team, women's softball, basketball,baseball, soccer, golf, swimming, gymnastics etc.....There are many more expenses that you are not accounting for. Sorry, your cost analysis is incomplete at best.

The kids are not forced to play anything, they can go to school and pay for it with financial aid, or academic scholarships..... It is not a right to play football, or any other sport. As public institutions, I'm pretty sure that in Florida they are subject to sunshine laws, so they can't cover up public athletic expenses or income. Boosters, and endorsements are all private.

BTW, I don't know where you got your 16K amount for uf students, but follow this link to the uf site, and read for yourself. 

You are correct the kids don't need to play if they don't want to...  However the issue is there is only one entity providing demand and that is the NCAA's and they take advantage of the athletes.  If the athletes want to play they have to play for NCAA or go pro.

And to prove they do take advantage of athletes, if schools would be allowed to pay student athletes, the schools would.  If you don't think so, then why would schools risk NCAA violations to get an advantage as many currently do.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

You are correct the kids don't need to play if they don't want to...  However the issue is there is only one entity providing demand and that is the NCAA's and they take advantage of the athletes.  If the athletes want to play they have to play for NCAA or go pro.

And to prove they do take advantage of athletes, if schools would be allowed to pay student athletes, the schools would.  If you don't think so, then why would schools risk NCAA violations to get an advantage as many currently do.

Please don't misunderstand my stance, you'll find from previous posts on here, that I am NO fan of the ncaa. I think that they completely take advantage of the power that they somehow created for themselves. I'm just not for paying the athletes, cause then you'd have to have someone to regulate who can pay what. I mean uf could pay athletes a whole hell of a lot more than we could. SEC, Big ??, would be able to pay more than any other conferences because of the income that they receive. Hell Texas is basically getting an entire conferences worth of money, they could probably out spend many conferences. IMO, you'd end up with an equivalent of the yankees/red sox, and the rest of us.

The kids generate all that revenue including booster donations, tickets, parking, concessions, jersey sales, etc. I don't care if the schools get around the coaches minimum salaries by running them through the booster clubs, the athletes still generate all that money.

I don't donate and buy season tickets to see a coach pace the sidelines.

Please don't misunderstand my stance, you'll find from previous posts on here, that I am NO fan of the ncaa. I think that they completely take advantage of the power that they somehow created for themselves. I'm just not for paying the athletes, cause then you'd have to have someone to regulate who can pay what. I mean uf could pay athletes a whole hell of a lot more than we could. SEC, Big ??, would be able to pay more than any other conferences because of the income that they receive. Hell Texas is basically getting an entire conferences worth of money, they could probably out spend many conferences. IMO, you'd end up with an equivalent of the yankees/red sox, and the rest of us.

easy you pay BCS football and basketball players a fixed amount when they graduate. take it right off the top of the BCS and ncaa basketball tourney money. Doesn't matter what school they choose, they get the same fixed amount upon graduation. The basketball tournament generates billions of dollars. some of these kids come from poverty and they can't rub 2 nickels together while their coaches make $2 or $3M per year(not to mention the fat cat conference reps and bowl reps and athletic directors). it's a disgrace.

I'm all for amateur sports but it's a plain money grab now.

Limit coaches salaries, limit ADs salaries. People will complain that's it's a free market but then they argue the players shouldn't be paid. that's socialism at it's finest.

Archived