College Game Day

Rizman

I don't believe USF has had one, do you think we will get one in the next couple of years.  I am referring to when ESPN has desk step near the stadium and Chris, Lee, and Kirk have fans going nuts in the background.  It was be great for USF to have the game one time.

Wasn't USF @Army on college game day? I believe that is the only one in which USF was involved.

Yes, but USF was barely mentioned -- they were there for Army.

ESPN was going to Gameday in Tampa in 2007 for the Cincinnati @ USF game (USF was #2 in the country), but USF losses to Rutgers and U Conn eliminated that. They ended up going to Oregon.

Difficult to understand how you can say USF was barely mentioned when we shut Army out.

I think The Sheriff caused quite a stir among the Army fans.

I seem to remember it was raining and they couldn't find Rocky's head for Corso to wear. I believe it was eventually found for him in time.

Because the weather stopped the pregame show on site about half-way through and they switched to the studio for the rest of the previews.  I remember how upset many board members were at the lack of USF coverage when they were at the game.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Flashback:

College GameDay

2003usf8.jpg

Since 1987, ESPN has featured its popular College GameDay pre-game program each Saturday. Beginning in 1993, the show has been broadcast live from college campuses. Before the USF-Army game, the show originated from West Point, N.Y. The cable network promoted it as "an opportunity to honor the cadets who lay their lives on the line to protect our freedoms."

On hearing about it, USF receiver Huey Whittaker said, "I want to see Lee Corso  with Rocky the Bull on his head."

Analyst Corso traditionally dons the mascot head of the team he predicts to win the game. While the game itself was not shown on ESPN, and a lightning storm forced the network to finish the broadcast from the studio, Corso did wear the Bulls head.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/8121/dabucsdb/2003usfh.htm

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

Flashback:

College GameDay

2003usf8.jpg

Since 1987, ESPN has featured its popular College GameDay pre-game program each Saturday. Beginning in 1993, the show has been broadcast live from college campuses. Before the USF-Army game, the show originated from West Point, N.Y. The cable network promoted it as "an opportunity to honor the cadets who lay their lives on the line to protect our freedoms."

On hearing about it, USF receiver Huey Whittaker said, "I want to see Lee Corso  with Rocky the Bull on his head."

Analyst Corso traditionally dons the mascot head of the team he predicts to win the game. While the game itself was not shown on ESPN, and a lightning storm forced the network to finish the broadcast from the studio, Corso did wear the Bulls head.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/8121/dabucsdb/2003usfh.htm

I need to find a bigger picture of that

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

A ROCKY ROAD: In 2003 at Army, ESPN's Lee Corso borrowed Rocky the Bull's head to wear on air. However, torrential rains and lightning ended the telecast. During the storm, Rocky's head was lost so freshman Billy Snay, USF's mascot, sat on the sideline without his bull head. "A headless mascot," Snay said. With four minutes left in the game, Rocky's head was returned, unharmed, to Snay in a Hefty bag.

http://tampatrib.com/sportsnews/MGBBVGEUOHE.html

Guest nybullsfan

My search skillz sux, but I did find this while googling Corso... Couldn't rezizt, and didn't want to make a new thread.

118262.jpg

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

My search skillz sux, but I did find this while googling Corso... Couldn't rezizt, and didn't want to make a new thread.

118262.jpg

Hall of Fame post.

• Content Count:  728

118262.jpg

I will be taking this picture tomorrow down to the Office Depot on Fletcher and BBD, Have it blown up and thumb tack it right on my wall.

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

What about at Raymond James, anyone have a guess when they will come to Tampa to do the show?    I would think we need to be ranked and playing a very high profile team.

Guest Scherdin

What about at Raymond James, anyone have a guess when they will come to Tampa to do the show?    I would think we need to be ranked and playing a very high profile team.

I ran into Fowler in Boulder a couple years ago...and he said they want to do a show on the pirate ship, but with our mid-season collapses the last few years they have had to change the venue.  As Jim mentioned '07 when we were #2 was about as close as we got and with the same fate last year...I think we have a while to go before they feel we are a legitimate contender. 

• Content Count:  2,558

that would make for the most boring show, as RayJ would not let  fans in early or have signs or do anything fun, as they suck  {l---------3

Archived