Holtz on 1010AM with JP at 3:15

KB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

So the "That's why I'm here" response was just ******** then .... ?

qft

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

Very disappointing to me whenever he says that. Its not either/or, I want to win both. But, if the choice was one of them, beat UF all the way. That will open way more doors in FL (where we really care about) than winning the Big East but getting blown out by UF. We lose by 30 to Gators then  win Big East, here's how the casusal fan and power base in FL will look/say "Well thats cute y'all won your little conference there, but ya know ya'll  still can't compete with the big boys." 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  7,658
  • Days Won:  14

i wouldnt read into it too much. you better believe holtz wants to beat UF.

• Content Count:  17,078
  • Days Won:  19

What he is saying in that quote is I'm here to win.

Holtz has a goal to win every game on the schedule and he probably thinks he has enough talent to do that. Anyway, going 0-2 against the Florida big boys and 7-0 in the Big East is not gonna cut it. We all know that. 1-1, 7-0 or 6-1 will. It makes us legit. In the eyes of many across the nation USF would then be a "REAL" football school. One game at a time bullspenners. One game at a time. Stony Brooke next.

• Content Count:  4,879

As much as I despise the gators and 99% of their fans, losing to them would not define this program.  Many very good teams/programs lose to them regularly, esp. in gainesville.

IMO USF needs to become a perennial top 25 team which is in the fight for the conference title on the last weekend every season before it worries about how the Bulls measure up against the gators.

doesn't mean i still don't really hope somehow CSH and the boys spring the upset.

• Content Count:  578

I'm really torn on what I'd prefer in a hypothetical either/or scenario. I think I'd rather win the Big East and go to a BCS bowl, than beat Florida but have to lose to Cincy, Rutgers, UCONN, etc. any more. We've been beaten 4 times in a row by Greg ******* Schiano (two were ass rapings and one was gut wrenching)... I can't take much more.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  23,542
  • Days Won:  112

Very disappointing to me whenever he says that. Its not either/or, I want to win both. But, if the choice was one of them, beat UF all the way. That will open way more doors in FL (where we really care about) than winning the Big East but getting blown out by UF. We lose by 30 to Gators then  win Big East, here's how the casusal fan and power base in FL will look/say "Well thats cute y'all won your little conference there, but ya know ya'll  still can't compete with the big boys." 

So we beat Auburn a few years ago and FSU last year.  How did that work out for our national image when we tanked in the Big East?

Respectfully disagree.  Winning the Big East puts you in a BCS bowl game.  That gets you noticed nationally. 

Sure I'd love to see us win at the Swamp AND Miami and win the Big East.  But that isn't happening.  I'll take a Big East title. 

• Content Count:  994

He also re-emphasized how the Big East part of the schedule is more important than the UF game.

So the "That's why I'm here" response was just ******** then .... ?

Basically yes I think so.  Of course he wants to win but if he was going somewhere to beat UF he would've went to be an assistant at Alabama. 

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

So we beat Auburn a few years ago and FSU last year.  How did that work out for our national image when we tanked in the Big East?

Respectfully disagree.  Winning the Big East puts you in a BCS bowl game.  That gets you noticed nationally. 

Sure I'd love to see us win at the Swamp AND Miami and win the Big East.  But that isn't happening.  I'll take a Big East title. 

I think the Auburn win and FSU win did more for our national image(both put us in the top ten, I believe) than(8-3) Pitt's BCS game against Utah in 2005 did for them. We still talk about those games (in a good way) and college fans still remember those as big wins in our history.  The BE lost all respect when BE champ Pitt lost 35-7 in the Fiesta bowl.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  76,330
  • Days Won:  439

You're slowly building a program with wins like that ... and it really doesn't matter what happened to our national image after the annual slide that year ... What matters is we got to #2 in the BCS poll with help from that win. That win, Kansas and FSU helped put us on the map. Obviously, we will need to win the conference at some point to maintain that image but I'll repeat one important thing, this is probably the first and last shot we get at UF for a long while, especially if we somehow win. The BE will be there next year ..... Gotta think long term here.

That worked out so well for Cincy the last two years that they got out recruited by UCF this year and we smoked them in recruiting last year, per Rivals.

I'll take a Big East title.

As you said, we'll have to respectfully disagree ... 

Archived