CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Flashback:

Holtz To Take Camp On Road To Berkshires

July 15, 1997|By DESMOND CONNER; Courant Staff Writer

The atmosphere will be different when the UConn football team begins two-a-day practices next month.

Coach Skip Holtz has decided to hold preseason camp in the Berkshire Mountains instead of Storrs.

The Huskies, who finished 5-6 last season, begin practice Aug. 17 on the campus of the Berkshire School in Sheffield, Mass.

``From a comaraderie standpoint, it's very good,'' Holtz said. ``It will also help us stay focused, especially the younger guys, from any kind of distractions, unless a couple bears pop out on us or something.''

Holtz, entering his fourth season at UConn, spoke to several coaches, including Northwestern's Gary Barnett, about the advantages of practicing off campus.

All of them told Holtz it was a good idea. Holtz contemplated taking the team away last year but decided against it.

``Last year, we had a solid senior class, even though a lot of them got hurt,'' Holtz said. ``This year we have a lot of young kids that have to step up and play for us. We're going to need their complete, undivided attention. I don't think going away is going to mean we're going to win every single game.''

UConn may not win every game, but they are expected to win more than they did last season, when the Huskies lost their six games by an average of 19 points.

They have a solid offense returning, led by quarterback Shane Stafford, and a strong front seven on defense, anchored by middle linebacker Brad Keatley. A secondary, whose youth was exposed badly last season, returns more experienced.

The freshmen, who begin two days of no-pads workouts and another day of orientation in Storrs Aug. 13, make up Holtz's best recruiting class.

``We want to do whatever it takes to be a good, competitive football team,'' said Holtz, who is 17-16 at UConn. ``I've talked to several people that said [training off campus] was a great experience for their teams, so we're going to try it. I think it will create a lot of excitement for the players and the coaches.''

The Huskies open the season Sept. 13 at home against Northeastern at 7 p.m.

http://articles.courant.com/1997-07-15/features/9707150264_1_holtz-huskies-shane-stafford

One year later UConn made its first 1-AA Postseason appearances.

Date Bowl Opponent Result

November 28, 1998  Division I-AA Playoffs Hampton W 42-34

December 5, 1998 Division I-AA Playoffs Georgia Southern L 52-30

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  23,542
  • Days Won:  112

USF took a hard bargaining position and price was almost the downfall of this deal.  MinorLB went down to their rock bottom price and will probably break even at best.  Pretty expensive to feed all those growing boys. 

• Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

LOVE. THIS.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  23,542
  • Days Won:  112

Just an interesting aside to this story.  There is a Prep School that came down from Atlanta to use the facilities prior to USF going there.

Can you imagine the money that school must have.  It might be the place some guy named Ted Turner attended.  That would explain the influx of cash.  Too bad he didn't graduate from USF.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF fan plans to greet football team's arrival

By Laurel Pfahler

TCPalm

Posted August 7, 2010 at 1:02 a.m.

VERO BEACH — The University of South Florida football team won’t have much down time upon arriving in Vero Beach for a 12-day training camp Sunday evening, but local fans want to give them a warm welcome.

USF alumnus and Vero Beach resident Theresa Woodson is organizing a get-together for Bulls fans to greet the team as its buses roll into Vero Beach Sports Village. The Bulls are leaving Tampa at 5 p.m., so the group will meet at 7:15 p.m. at the Holman Stadium entrance.

Woodson said she cleared her plans with VBSV staff, though the team is not expected to have time to participate in a meet-and-greet because of a scheduled evening meeting.

“I think it would be great for people to be at the entrance to welcome them,†Woodson said. “My hope is to get not just alumni but also other Bulls fans. There is a growing fan base in Indian River County because of the growing number of students going to USF, so I think we could get a lot of people interested. I just think it would be a lot of fun to wear our green and gold and bring some signs and cheer for them as they come in.â€

USF will train in Vero Beach through Aug. 19, with a scrimmage scheduled for Aug. 14. All practices are open to the public, though times have not yet been released.

Woodson hopes to see a lot of local support for the Bulls throughout their stay. She also seeks to drum up interest in a local booster club, as she will have sign-up sheets at the get-together Sunday.

For more information, contact Woodson at usfbullsofverobeach@gmail.com.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/aug/07/usf-fan-plans-to-greet-teams-arrival/

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

this needs its own topic heading on here.

Archived