Always my favorite...very simple and to the point

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

One big problem with the fight song is that the meter was changed from 4/4 to 6/8 right around the time the HOT came into being (late 90s), making the lyrics VERY difficult to fit.  Going back to the older version (from at least 1996-1997) would go a long way to fix this.

Don't forget we also have "March Victorious" which as far as I can tell is unique to USF (though don't know if it was actually created specifically for us).

• Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

LUckily I have no rhythm and am so tone deaf that it doesn't matter what meter it is played in I still sound awful

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

I whistle the fight song, "The Bull", or the Alma Mater constantly and I sing the fight song and Alma Mater loudly at every event where it is played. The words to our fight song are no worse than "On On U of K", Kentucky's fight song, of which I am also an alum and know very well. I like our fight song.

"The Bull" is our tradition, our marker, our sound logo, and the annoyance to our rivals, just like Florida State's war chant is to theirs. I have a many friends who are UC and UofL fans and they hate watching their teams play at RayJay in person or on TV, because there is nothing like the scene when the camera is panning the stadium, the crowd is showing their horns, and "The Bull" is playing in the background.

I LOVE the BULL, problem is though unlike the War Chant. there isn't any "sound" after the band stops playing. Even UF has "Go Gators" EXTREMELY annoying. As it stands (sits) now, we don't have enough vocal fans.

I tried doing "The Bull" as a chant at UofL a couple of years ago. Everybody looked at me like "The poor man must be having a seizure or something." This may sound kind of stupid, but I see no reason we can't chant the first 4 stanza's of the "The Bull" over and over after the band quits playing it. I whistle it over and over that way most of the time.

• Content Count:  4,142
  • Days Won:  1

I've actually toyed with writing a new one... so far, it sucks.  We should have a contest .

I personally like "We don't give a **** bout the whole state of michagan..."

• Content Count:  971

I used to play in a volunteer pep band at USF's Curtis Hixon basketball games (but nothing as good as the present day HOT ensembles).  We were told in the early to mid 1970s that our official fight song was the product of a song writing contest.  My opinion is that it is one of the worst fight songs I have ever played.  It's not in a good key for most brass instruments, so it will always seem relatively subdued to the listener.  In other words, it never takes advantage of the potential power of the brass and persussion sections (which the Bull does rather nicely).  I really think March Victorious is some other school's fight song, or a generic one adopted by more than one school.  In contrast, our Alma Mater is first rate (a pleasure to sing and play).  BTW, I know I never played Dixie at USF, nor do I recall ever hearing it played.  GB!

• Content Count:  728

I do quite enjoy first downs...

Daniels pass to Love is complete for 16 yards... That PLAY IS GOOD... For Another... Bulls.... (everyone) FIRST DOOOOOWN!

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I used to play in a volunteer pep band at USF's Curtis Hixon basketball games (but nothing as good as the present day HOT ensembles).  We were told in the early to mid 1970s that our official fight song was the product of a song writing contest.  My opinion is that it is one of the worst fight songs I have ever played.  It's not in a good key for most brass instruments, so it will always seem relatively subdued to the listener.  In other words, it never takes advantage of the potential power of the brass and persussion sections (which the Bull does rather nicely).  I really think March Victorious is some other school's fight song, or a generic one adopted by more than one school.  In contrast, our Alma Mater is first rate (a pleasure to sing and play).  BTW, I know I never played Dixie at USF, nor do I recall ever hearing it played.  GB!

I'm talking about earlier then the 1970's... back during or shortly there after the 50 year anniversary someone had a story about how much USF has changed and it listed that when USF was first formed up, they used to play Dixie in lue of no fight song.

I'll see if I can dig it up  ;)

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Daniels pass to Love is complete for 16 yards... That PLAY IS GOOD... For Another... Bulls.... (everyone) FIRST DOOOOOWN!

That's done all over the place.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  11

That's done all over the place.

I liked it much better when he'd yell "FIRST DOOOOOWWWNNNN....... BUUULLLSSSSSSS"

Archived