Rivals USF #45 Review

Rizman

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

Getting to a Bowl game a great accomplishment ?

Give him 3 or 4 years to get "his" players in ?

wow - You guys have really low expectations.  Anything under a 500 season I would consider a failure - unless of course BJ goes down then all bets are off.  We have 3 seniors on the starting offensive line and for a change some actual depth. A 6th year RB coming back.  A juco RB coming in who is highly rated. A QB who at least by my standards had a real good first year with a huge upside potential.  A much better "D" co-ordinator.  A new coach who has a reputation of making the system work for the players he has unlike the mighty Rich Rod(poor mich fans) who has a system but all the wrong players for it.  A top 25 recruiting class coming into their second year with some already having a year of experience and lots of red shirt potential.

Many here believe that JL had reached his potential and think Holtz is an upgrade.  That will be shown on the field if it is true or not.  I like Holtz and think he has an overall better staff so  Ijust don't understand low expectations.  We have had a different OC the last three years so the kids should be used to it and now this will be the third "D" co-ordinator in the last three years.  I like continuity in coaching but we haven't had that and still come out 7-5.  If you think, like I do, that we have upgraded the coaching why would you lower your expectations ?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

Reality is that given the schedule and everything else going on this has the potential to be our worst year since going into D1A.  A bowl appearance will be considered a great accomplishment this year. 

Since getting to a bowl game may only require 3 conference wins, I would have a hard time calling that a great accomplishment. Although, if one of those 3 wins is against Rutgers I'd be tempted ...

Oh triple-B We can hope.  It would be sweet.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I would have the same low expectations for this year regardless of who the coaches were.  As I said earlier, There are way too many unknowns in just about every aspect of this team say that we are going to do better than struggle to get to .500. 

BJ Daniels became a star last year because of a couple of long passes and because of his running ability.  Supposedly we are going away from the spread and limiting his running.  Will he be the same type of QB?  No one questions his athleticism, but how will he respond to a different system? 

Right now Mo Plancher is the top returning RB.  Has he shown enough to be the back that carries the load?  Maybe.  we don't have any idea.  He really hasn't shown enough over his 6 years to distinguish himself as head and shouldera above everyone else.  Hayes hasn't played a down yet at this level.  Complete question mark there.

At WR under different circumstances Bogan would have come into this year as the number 3 or number 4 WR at best.  Now he is our number one.  I was impressed with him his sophomore so I believe he can play well, but the real problem is if he gets shut down who ya got? No one with any realy proven meaningful experience.  Thats a problem.

The OL has experience, but are they good enough to take us to another level with so many question marks everywhere else on offense?  Very questionable.  They were easily manhandled in amnay games last year.  They had a hard time opening holes.  they were slapped around so easily against Miami.

The offense has just way too many question marks for me.

The defense just lost so much.  We may be faster and have better atheletes than ever before, but the other teams have good athletes too.  Too much inexperience here to know what we have right now.

Let me also just say one thing.  I am fine with either Holtz or Leavitt being the coach.  I don't know that Holtz is such a huge leap in coaching that he is going to be able to take this team to the next level this year with so much inexperience. Vaas maybe a better QB coach than Canales was.  I think you have the 3 easy wins and in-conference I don't see 3 clear cut wins. 

We shall see.

Archived