Who are the break out players this year on offense and defense?

dausfbulls11

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Wally was and still is a great coach/teacher, but is he in the elite status of coaching?(No) Did he coach some Good players and get them drafted yes, but could they have done that on there own, probably. It's not like USF HAS EVER had a top notch NFL player and still has not proven that, but UCF a school we think is inferior to us has had a few(Brandon Marshall comes to mind besides Cullpepper). We have no one who has ever done anything in the NFL until Mike Jenkins. We have had flashes with Kawika and Andre but nothing more than that. Naive is knowing that you have the talent year in and year out but excepting a losing season in the BIG EAST! We are not talking about the SEC or even the ACC!

Do not even credit Canales with producing Phillip Rivers that is just absurd! He was going to be good no matter who was his QB coach.

For you to think I hate Leavitt is a JOKE I just said that we finally have the coaches that can teach our kids. I didn't know that was directed at Leavitt? We did a good job with the talent we were given but then again WE ARE IN FLORIDA, shouldn't we have talent no matter what because of the leftovers or transfers? The answer is yes!

Personally I do not think we have ever had any great TEACHERS of the game. Yeah motivators or managers and even coaching. But I have never seen so much talent get pushed through a school and not have more success. UCF has a DE that no one has ever heard of but he is a preseason all conference. So we had Selvie does that mean we are trying to stay on par with them? Since they have produced more in almost the same amount of time. And I'm considering 1996 with cullpepper which is around when we started.

Where to begin - aww nevermind you just don't know your USF history

LOL .... My favorite part was trying to compare a preseason all mid major conference to a two time All American.   :D

My personal favorites are always the "...because we are in Florida..."comments.  Not that facilities, tradition, national exposure has anything to do with it.  We are just now starting to get all of those other things. 

I don't know how anyone can look at Wally's career and not say he is one of the best developers of LB talent in college football.  Here is a little bit from his old USF Bio:  "Developing NFL linebackers is nothing new for Burnham, who coached nine linebackers at Florida State who were drafted into the NFL and a 10th player who signed as a free agent. Among his standout linebackers at FSU were Derrick Brooks, Marvin Jones, Paul McGowan, Jesse Solomon and Garth Jax. Jones and McGowan each won the Butkus Award, and Jones added the Lombardi Award."  Then you can add on Brooks' pro career...11 Time pro Bowler...nine time all pro...NFL Defensive Player of the year.  Not too bad for a guy that was a safety as freshman at FSU and was developed as a linebacker by Burnham.  He is an elite LB coach in my book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry it took so long to respond but I just saw the comments.

To be honest this is why I normally just read because everyone THINKS they are a know it all. Get pissed off when someone says different than you. I really don't care, the point I THOUGHT of this board was to say your opinion not get told what to think. If you said your opinion I would respect it.

The fact is USF has produced one good NFL prospect Anthony Henry, but he might just be a product of his system and QB's trying to take advantage of him. IN DALLAS I have not seen enough out of him to say he is an ALL-PRO.

Meanwhile UCF(Which I cannot stand and hate with a passion but was just stating the facts) has produced Two players, really three ALL-Pro's and two are still active and could have HALL of Fame Careers, I know that is hard to accept but it's a reality! Asante Samuel and Marshall COULD have those kinds of careers. Tell me what Kawika is doing or even Jenkins? Granted Mike is good but still hasn't been in long enough, **** Henry was in the league for a good four years and had good numbers and still didn't get the acknowledgment he should have!

Anyways, as for Coaches my point wasn't that we haven't had any good ones, I said Wally was the best position coach we had and ran him off! But as far as anyone else if you really consider a coach that leaves a program that has a historical rise like USF did for greener pastures and then end up back there or worse!!!!! Which they all have, then you can not say it was the coaching unless you credit Leavitt for it all since he was the one constant.

My point is that we have talent in this program RIGHT NOW that we have never ever had and we could see some amazing things done with it. Regardless if it was Leavitt or not these kids are that good and that is the main point. We finally have the talent and depth to compete in the BIG EAST! People are upset about a few injuries which I am as well more so for the players that suffered them because they deserve to be out there not us ******** about who will be next! If you can answer those questions then you should be in Vegas or work for ESPN but you don't your a WEEKEND WARRIOR! Big DEAL!

If you do not like what I say then say what your opinion is and leave it at that and don't act like a bunch of women in a clique(Sorry Mama and other women) and try to berate me because what I think. Unless you are going to take over for Coach Heath or Holtz, then I will respect you since you HAVE EARNED IT! Until then keep thinking you are what you are not and enjoy your life b/c I am, there are things bigger than USF football and they're called people! (just like these 17-18 yr old kids that you talk about like they haven't accomplished anything but in reality they are what you couldn't be a great athlete!)

Also producing REALLY just D. Brooks is not an amazing feat considering your are a perennial powerhouse program and are in the state of Florida which has a ton of talented LB's every year. I can easily name off to you 15-20 from the state in the NFL over those 20 years! Again I didn't say Wally wasn't a great coach, I just said he wasn't an elite coach like Monte Kiffin or Jim Johnson. Yes they are NFL coaches but they produce players by COACHING! Not taking a talented kid and sending him into the draft, there is a big difference and that is why they are coaching in the NFL!

Oh sorry I forgot this one rebuttal, since it didn't make sense to me considering if you were a two time conference USA player of whatever caliber and not an all-american, but you were getting paid MULTI Millions of dollars to play the same sport in the best league there is then I would say that really has no weight/water!

The goal is the NFL no matter if you go to Mississippi Valley College or Hofstra and that is the NFL and getting paid! That two time All-American, what is he making again, I'm sorry I forgot what his salary was, oh that's right they wouldn't release it because NO ONE gave a F! What makes this worse is I'm even responding because all I'm doing is putting down players I have followed for years but I just as they would don't deal with Bull **** and will say it how it is!

I know I couldn't do better than anyone of these kids and neither could any of you no matter what your fantasy world tells you. These kids are the elite of the elite and sometimes things don't workout and sometimes someone else takes home the cake and the woman and the trophy. That's life and they have to deal with it so stop judging and start promoting like the title says who do you think will have a break out year. That's what i said and left it at that, I didn't ask for the peanut gallery to break it down!

• Content Count:  2,558

mmmm fball season is so close I can smell the ribs

• Content Count:  4,879

offense - let me see the program to see who #?? is

defense - ditto

• Content Count:  958

Offense - Lindsey Lamar

Defense -  Ryne Giddens

ajusf you are dead on and to be honest if I offended anyone I'm sorry and respect the decision to not reply to my comments and I think it's the lack of college football atmosphere and especially THE RIBS( I have to say this how many can I get for 50 cent! I could be off on the amount?)! GO BULLS!

Be optimistic these are the years that under achievers actually come through and I feel we have the talent to make people recognize us and RESPECT US! Give these kids a chance and I think we will all be surprised as well as the coaching factor being different! I don't think teams know what to expect and they shouldn't!

One thing I admire about Holtz is he is a listener/learns and takes in what people or their perceptions are and puts them together and takes the good things and gets rid of the bad things. In Lehman's terms he is a great manager and knows how to motivate LIKE his Father did at ND! If I remember correctly he was the last coach to win a National Title at ND. That says something even in today's times and I think his father is a better analyzer than overall coach in today's circumstances, since he is more old school and skip is the new generation something Lane KIFFIN is TRYING to be and failing hardcore! I feel bad for Monte!

Archived