Rams inked both Selvie and Murphy today

USFMikeB

What value does anyone think whining and complaining on this board will bring to help our program advance? I'll answer that, nothing.

Truthfully, cheering and supporting alumni on a message board will have the same effect.

What builds our program is attending games, buying merchandise, and donating to the athletics department.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

What value does anyone think whining and complaining on this board will bring to help our program advance?  I'll answer that, nothing. 

Truthfully, cheering and supporting alumni on a message board will have the same effect.

What builds our program is attending games, buying merchandise, and donating to the athletics department.

I agree with your second point, that will certainly have the most positive impact on a program.  But the first item, creating a positive environment for our teams and for recruits and others who may see these boards, is important too.  We are all aware that players, families and friends of players, frequent this and other sites.  Why would people on here say things they truly would not say to someone's face, especially negative things.  I bet most of the negative folks on this board do not talk to people at work, or in their homes, the way they rag on people on here.  It doesn't seem like a way to "support" your program IMHO.

• Content Count:  699
  • Days Won:  0

Back to the point...Good for Murph and hope he works out for them. Would love to know what Selvie got, hopefully we find out in the next few days and an update will be posted. It will be a busy July for Bulls fans to follow all the training camp news and i'm definitely looking forward to it.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I agree with you that there is a classy way to deal with issues.  But once a guy is gone, and he is representing USF in the NBA or NFL, and he gets a big pay day, lets congratulate him for a job well done.  No, instead our fans like to say how crappy they were when they were here, or how they will bomb out.   We NEED them to succeed at the pro level.  It will help our recruiting in the future.   It helps to give USF some positive PR. 

I think we are looking a bit to deeply into fan "chatter" on a message board.  I think the only value a message board has on improving athletics is in getting people involved.  Conversations about areas the team needs to improve (like perhaps position coaching) get people involved.  If recruits or their families are reading message boards to make decisions about where they are going to go to school I think we have bigger problems.  And a message board full of posters thinking exactly the same thing and singing the praises of everything USF is highly unlikely to be thought provoking, engaging, or server to promote athletics for very long.

Someone made a very interesting point, that despite a pretty bad senior season (I seem to recall talk of Murphy not even starting toward the end), Murphy got drafted fairly high.  That raises an interesting question, if we have the talent, why aren't we developing it.  This was followed by some what I think most neutral observers would agree was some serious revisionist history of Murphy's senior season.

He was a great player, had tons of talent, and I think it goes without saying (hopefully) that every one of us wish him the best and hopes he does well in the NFL.  But if there is an issue with talent development at USF that would seem to be a worthy off-season discussion.  Let's not go over the deep end about it.

• Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

apparently you missed all the wide receivers running by him for touchdowns... or those pointless flags that he was called for.

murphy is an awesome athlete and will be a great corner in the NFL... i just dont think he was very good for USF his senior year... i dont think im the only one with this viewpoint.

Never said he had a flawless senior season but it was far from terrible .... and you, being the expert and all, do realize that the closest db to a receiver is not always the one responsible for it ... Just an observation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/tag/_/name/jerome-murphy

"No. 65: Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida to St. Louis: Here is proof that college production isn't always the most important thing to NFL scouts. Murphy struggled against some of the Big East's better receivers, but he has great physical tools and hopefully will find his niche in the pros. "

That blogger is neither a college coach nor a pro coach...

Never said you were the only one .... if you'll notice, I used the term "message board experts". Like i said, Murphy had a far from flawless senior year but while some just focus on the bad plays, others .... ones that count .... looked at his overall body of work last year and liked what they saw.

okay he had a far from flawed senior year LOL.... do u even watch the games?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  76,330
  • Days Won:  439

Someone made a very interesting point, that despite a pretty bad senior season (I seem to recall talk of Murphy not even starting toward the end),

Link?

Murphy got drafted fairly high.  That raises an interesting question, if we have the talent, why aren't we developing it.

An even more interesting question is what is your definition of "developing" talent?

This was followed by some what I think most neutral observers would agree was some serious revisionist history of Murphy's senior season.

I think most neutral observers would literally laugh out loud at the labeling of a season bad or terrible where one leads the conference in passes defended and was top ten in tackles.

Sure did ... and unlike you apparently, and like the NFL scouts, I watched the whole games and didn't just fixate on the negative plays.

Sure did ... and unlike you apparently, and like the NFL scouts, I watched the whole games and didn't just fixate on the negative plays.

dude come on... you are blinded by your green and gold goggles... murphy got toasted more often then not... he is not a man coverage corner and that is common knowledge... tresey was hammering a square peg into a round hole the way he used murphy... he is a cover-2 guy and really struggles in man. Murphy routinely got beat in man coverage and routinely made poor decisions during his senior season.

collectively murphy did NOT have the season he should have... with his physical attributes, he would have been a round 1 guy if he put it on tape.

this thread made me go back and look at all those posts where we whined and complained about how bad murphy has been playing and i got to relive those EPIC board meltdowns...

hilarious looking back

this thread made me go back and look at all those posts where we whined and complained about how bad murphy has been playing and i got to relive those EPIC board meltdowns...

hilarious looking back

"Where we whined" ... with the 'we' being the aforementioned board experts who think they know more than the people who's lives are spent evaluating football players .... and if you want an even more hilarious read, look back and read the threads where you "experts" lambasted the "stupid" coaches for holding back the next Jim Brown... Those were a hoot.

Archived