Rams inked both Selvie and Murphy today

USFMikeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

LOL .... I know I should be immune to this by now but it still amuses the heck out of me when message board "experts" think they know more than college, and now pro, coaches. Murph tied for the team lead in picks and fumbles recovered and led the team in unassisted tackles and broken up passes yet you consider that a "terrible" year and think NFL GM's couldn't have possibly been impressed by his tapes. Fact is there were 29 cb's drafted after him and I'm sure more than a few had a "physical presence" at the position. I'm sure his "physical presence" played a part in his getting drafted but I'd be willing to bet his skill work on the field played a much bigger part ... Here's hoping his replacement has just as "terrible" a year for us.

Do they keep stats on blown coverages resulting in T-Downs?  How about number of pass interference penalties per play?  I think Murphy probably lead the team in those too.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Murphy was in the program for 3 years while Jenkins was here. They had the same coaches early in Murphy's career. Nate Allen and Murphy had the same DB coaching their entire playing time.

Still not clear how you can say it was bad coaching.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Yet another thread of "supposedly" USF fans belittling USF athletes who gave it their all on and off the field for USF.  Gotta love it.

First DoJo this week.  Now Murphy.  And the USF coaches.

When does it end? 

Some of you people suck and I wish you would convert to become UCF fans. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  11

Great point, IncrediBull.

What will it take for people who run their mouths, unnecessarily filling our fan board with negative garbage, to understand that players, parents, and recruits alike READ THIS BOARD. OFTEN. Not only is your belittling sentiment unwanted, but it trashes our board, our reputation as a fan base, and the very thing we're meant to be united in support of: USF AND ITS STUDENT ATHLETES, past, present, and future.

Murph busted his butt for us, and he's a great representative of our program. That's the most we can ask. Quit the un-called-for trashtalking of a stand-up former USF athlete. Be proud he got a good signing bonus, regardless of what his stats were here.

If I were a student-athlete, I'd come to the BullsPen to find fans supporting me as I give it all on the field despite my failures. Jesus people, this should be the one online fan board that USF athletes can expect support. If you wanna criticize a player, there's a way to do it that still shows class and support, and a wrong way to go about it, and for some reason people on here seem to love taking the obnoxious, unnecessary route.

Come on Faza... this is a FAN board. Fans complain. It's what they do.

Murphy was a better corner than his senior year depicted... and I think, like A Henry and M Jenkins, he will be a very solid NFL player for years to come.

He made mistakes. We all make mistakes.  People remember mistakes more clearly than the good plays he made... or plays he never had to make because he was covering his man like he was supposed to do.

That said, it is totally unrealistic and perhaps even a bit naive to think fans posting on an Internet board will only be positive and never be negative... Heck, for some people, being negative is their online persona. They only post negative comments because they know people will react...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  11

Of course, this is a fan board. But that doesn't make it right.

My response wasn't so much directed at this particular thread as it was the many threads like this one, many of which are actually much more unreasonable. This just happened to be the thread where I decided to poke my $0.02 about it.

I don't expect people to be positive all the time. But I am definitely over the degradative, picking apart of specific student athletes' and staff members' performances, character, or persona. It's just not necessary, and it's a poor reflection on us all.

I used to hear nothing but good things from everyone I mentioned the BullsPen to. Now, I barely hear anything good anymore. All folks have to say is how much of a useless, trash-talking, "call-themselves-fans" forum, where you're more likely to become LESS of a Bulls fan than more of one. Dude, I love this Board, and I'm tired of hearing stuff like that, but then I come here and read all the foolishness and can't help but understand where they're coming from..... this community has traditionally been a point of pride for our fan base.... I'm not so sure the character of its postings these days is helping it stay that way...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  76,330
  • Days Won:  439

apparently you missed all the wide receivers running by him for touchdowns... or those pointless flags that he was called for.

murphy is an awesome athlete and will be a great corner in the NFL... i just dont think he was very good for USF his senior year... i dont think im the only one with this viewpoint.

Never said he had a flawless senior season but it was far from terrible .... and you, being the expert and all, do realize that the closest db to a receiver is not always the one responsible for it ... Just an observation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/tag/_/name/jerome-murphy

"No. 65: Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida to St. Louis: Here is proof that college production isn't always the most important thing to NFL scouts. Murphy struggled against some of the Big East's better receivers, but he has great physical tools and hopefully will find his niche in the pros. "

That blogger is neither a college coach nor a pro coach...

Never said you were the only one .... if you'll notice, I used the term "message board experts". Like i said, Murphy had a far from flawless senior year but while some just focus on the bad plays, others .... ones that count .... looked at his overall body of work last year and liked what they saw.

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

Thanks Triple B well said.

• Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

I consider myself in the rational and generally positive category on this board. But I was still shocked when Murphy went that high in the draft. Sure he has the physical tools, but at some point you need to be good at football. You can blame Leavitt/coaching if you want, but there are plenty of instances in the last four years where Murphy made absolutely dumb penalties or got burned that kept a drive alive. Many times in the same game even.

I was also in the negative category on DoJo. I'm a USF fan, not a Dominique Jones fan. He claims he made his decision on message board comments? Well that is stupid to base a major decision on that. I don't believe him, everyone knew he was going to leave anyway. Score 40 points, greatest player who ever lived on here. Score 10, foul out and we lose, there will be 10 threads that he's the most overrated player in the country. Can't make a decision based on that.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Of course, this is a fan board. But that doesn't make it right.

My response wasn't so much directed at this particular thread as it was the many threads like this one, many of which are actually much more unreasonable. This just happened to be the thread where I decided to poke my $0.02 about it.

I don't expect people to be positive all the time. But I am definitely over the degradative, picking apart of specific student athletes' and staff members' performances, character, or persona. It's just not necessary, and it's a poor reflection on us all.

I used to hear nothing but good things from everyone I mentioned the BullsPen to. Now, I barely hear anything good anymore. All folks have to say is how much of a useless, trash-talking, "call-themselves-fans" forum, where you're more likely to become LESS of a Bulls fan than more of one. Dude, I love this Board, and I'm tired of hearing stuff like that, but then I come here and read all the foolishness and can't help but understand where they're coming from..... this community has traditionally been a point of pride for our fan base.... I'm not so sure the character of its postings these days is helping it stay that way...

At a recent USF Athletics event, we were talking about the bulls pen and found that most at our table were on it.  Most noted the negative turn it has taken from teh fans over the past year or so.  Not just the obvious negative posters, but many others including some who have been here a while.

It is easy to be positive when you are winning all of your games, when the team is ranked, when we are tops of something (ie a bowl, or the conf, etc).  It takes real true supporters to help us navigate through the leaner times or more difficult times and not be anti-USF, anti Player, anti Coach, anti everything.  The negative people on here do not add value, they detract from teh true fans.

I agree with you that there is a classy way to deal with issues.  But once a guy is gone, and he is representing USF in the NBA or NFL, and he gets a big pay day, lets congratulate him for a job well done.  No, instead our fans like to say how crappy they were when they were here, or how they will bomb out.  We NEED them to succeed at the pro level.  It will help our recruiting in the future.  It helps to give USF some positive PR. 

What value does anyone think whining and complaining on this board will bring to help our program advance?  I'll answer that, nothing. 

Archived