verbal agreements in sports have no impact

houston is a cry baby

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  61
  • Days Won:  0

verbal agreements in sports have no impact

houston is a cry baby

I concur with your assessment of the situation, smazza. In my opinion, Dave Maggard should have prepared a contingency plan in the event that the University of Nebraska-Lincoln spurned the Cougars.

I am able to recall a similar incident occurring at ECU during the late 1990s in which the University of Kentucky was scheduled to play the Wildcats in Greenville, along with a $450,000 transfer of funds.

Ultimately, Kentucky signed a contractual agreement to play a Division I-AA institution at the time and ECU was forced to schedule the institutional ilk of Tennessee-Chattanooga. In my opinion, the sole noteworthy student-athlete on the UTC Mocs football roster for the ECU game was that of wide receiver Richmond Flowers, a transfer from Duke University.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

you do not back out on playing a weak d1a team for a d1aa team unless you are "scared" you will lose. "GUTLESS" is a very good description

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Maggard's just cryin' the blues 'cuz he thought he had an ole big dawg on the wire ready for a backyard barbeque which wooduv been a nice recruiting tool and a great way to kick off an up yr for Houston.

On the other foot, NE is making a smart move not playing a potential offensive machine with it's own defense that's lost its bite and a QB situation equal to USF's.  A loss on national TV would set the program further in a hole as it already is.  There is no up side to the game for NE.  Beating Houston would be expected.  A home game of 80K probably would generate more revenue.  And about NE leaving D1A team's high n dry.  Didn't they just go to USM in 2003.   ::)  Sounds like a stretch.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Sounds like Bulldoug is a Nebraska fan, which I'm pretty sure he mentioned on here earlier.  As for Houston I would be pissed too.  However, if they didn't have a contact signed then they weren't officialy going to play each other and thats there fault for not getting one signed during the discussions.  

As for Nebraska they had already lost their edge as a team that intimidated people in my opinion and this only fortifies my opinion of that.  NE used to plow people, but are now being left behin by OK and Tex in their conference. As Bulldoug said it was a smart move on NE part.  They possibly lose that game and fall further down on the national scene.  Now they have a home game with Maine who went 5-6 in 2004.  

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

hope maine beats them, poetic justice!

can we play houston?