TCU and Houston rejected by B12, should we invite them to the Big East?

Guest nybullsfan

Who should the Big East invite?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest nybullsfan

Does defining the country's geography based on Civil War conventions really make sense?

Yes, if we're talking culture. No, if we're talking airfare.

While it would be nice to be able to bus / drive from Tampa to our away games, the reality is we'll be flying to them until we join the SEC or go back to the Sun Belt conference.

Get used to it. Whether we're ACC, BE, or some combination thereof, we'll be flying to 95% of our games.

So it makes sense to have members with the best airport connections, regardless of whether they're culturally "southern" or "northern"

Flying to Dallas, Houston, or Memphis for a game will be easier than getting to Morgantown, Cuse, or even UCONN or Rutgers, for that matter.  (And don't even get me started on the 3-hour "train ride from hell" when I went from NYC to Providence for a basketball game)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

Based on your logic, the BE already has 25% of this country locked up.  So, why do they need to add more schools?  Aren't they already a top tier conference since they reach a quarter of the country's household?

::)

Which is why it's curious that the Big East hasn't already started its own cable network. With all the basketball games / archives, you could almost run 24 / 7 programming of just basketball...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Does defining the country's geography based on Civil War conventions really make sense?

Yes, if people in those places hold to that.

I have family in WV and have visited many times.  They all consider themselves southerners.  Many in SE and SW Ohio also call themselves southerners.  Kentucky is an obvious one. 

The odd duck is actually Missouri, another place I have roots in.  They consider themselves both southern and midwestern. 

None of our southern schools have any deep south character.  The coasts of Florida are primarily packed in with people from up north (like me from Cleveland).  Louisville is southern but not like Auburn, Ole Miss, etc.  Cincy is in the same boat and has a similar character.  And West Virginia has a different group of southerners in the hillbillies. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Yes, if people in those places hold to that.

I have family in WV and have visited many times.  They all consider themselves southerners.  Many in SE and SW Ohio also call themselves southerners.  Kentucky is an obvious one. 

The odd duck is actually Missouri, another place I have roots in.  They consider themselves both southern and midwestern. 

None of our southern schools have any deep south character.  The coasts of Florida are primarily packed in with people from up north (like me from Cleveland).  Louisville is southern but not like Auburn, Ole Miss, etc.  Cincy is in the same boat and has a similar character.  And West Virginia has a different group of southerners in the hillbillies. 

You are from the only place that has ever had their river catch fire. Yes, for those that don't know the Cuyohoga river once caught fire (I think that back in the day, The Ohio just ran to fast to catch fire). I'm from Middletown, in SW Ohio, about 20 miles North of Cincy, while there are some there who consider themselves Southern, they are in a minority.

• Content Count:  639

Houston averaged 25K at home last season when they were ranked half the season.

• Content Count:  143

This ones easy.  No.  You don't drop into a lower tier conference and expect the grand ol' teams to rank you when you need them to.  You don't get a McRib and expect a Rendezvous rack.  A Motel 6 and expect a Hilton.  You talk, wait and when and if the time comes, jump to the ACC.  In the mean time just play football and keep UCF, Houston, and TCU and the rest of the losers , like Forest Gump says, "far, far away."

• Content Count:  5,595

Houston, and TCU and the rest of the losers , like Forest Gump says, "far, far away."

Define loser?

The team that finished the season last year ranked #3 is a loser?  And Houston did something last year that USF hasn't ever been able to do, win 10 games.

Those are two teams that are not losers.

Guest nybullsfan

Sounds like his definition of "loser" is "non-BCS"

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Sad.

More reason we need a real playoff system like basketball, IMO. I also think we need revenue sharing and scholly limits, etc to generate more parity in D1 football, but that's just me.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741

Sounds like his definition of "loser" is "non-BCS"

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Sad.

More reason we need a real playoff system like basketball, IMO. I also think we need revenue sharing and scholly limits, etc to generate more parity in D1 football, but that's just me.

Nationwide revenue sharing?? Hell, the other 9 is the Big (12) would like to get their share the entire pie. I agree with you. How is any school supposed to compete with UT, when they have a scoreboard that costs more to purchase than a small country?

Archived