usf needs to increase revenue

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

Who do you think we can schedule the 1 and done's or the 1 and 1s with?  1 and done's will be FBS (1AA) teams.   1 and 1s will be non-bcs teams some would be FCS teams.  Then we could go 9-3 or even 10-2 and still get left out of a bowl.  Not just a good bowl, any bowl.

We are a young school with no tradition or history and a modest local following.  We are not Notre Dame, Navy, or Army.

FSU and Miami did it way before the BCS, they gave up their independence because it is too difficult to maintain a program that way.

I know it sounds awesome on the surface, "hey we get to play whom ever we want".  Unfortunately, that's not the reality.  Heck, we have trouble filling the available games we have now.

young school??? blah blah blah

you know what i like about sports

you need to perform on the field and history means little

usf has failed to put a good product on the field to compete for big east

and most of you didnt realize it

holtz will finally change that

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

Smazza.  The "alleged" UCF plant here.  You're actually somewhat right.  USF does have somewhat lesser talent, not much, it's more of a depth issue.  How do you go from beating or upsetting Auburn (on the road), FSU (on the road), North Carolina (on the road) during those same years and lose to teams assumed who are worse?  You lost the BE games cause you were FIGURED out AND due to lack of composure (focus).  Cincinnati and the whole BE figured out the pathetic spread FIVE years ago man.  Gregory (and in some part Canales) had no answer for the junk defenses of the BE.  They knew Grothe and Daniels would fake to the h-back to the right and bolt.  Contain the QB to the middle and crush the middle when he panics.  Crap man, they did it for 4-5 years.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Who do you think we can schedule the 1 and done's or the 1 and 1s with?  1 and done's will be FBS (1AA) teams.   1 and 1s will be non-bcs teams some would be FCS teams.  Then we could go 9-3 or even 10-2 and still get left out of a bowl.  Not just a good bowl, any bowl.

We are a young school with no tradition or history and a modest local following.  We are not Notre Dame, Navy, or Army.

FSU and Miami did it way before the BCS, they gave up their independence because it is too difficult to maintain a program that way.

I know it sounds awesome on the surface, "hey we get to play whom ever we want".  Unfortunately, that's not the reality.  Heck, we have trouble filling the available games we have now.

young school??? blah blah blah

you know what i like about sports

you need to perform on the field and history means little

usf has failed to put a good product on the field to compete for big east

and most of you didnt realize it

holtz will finally change that

Steve, please read the entire post before commenting.  My post had nothing to do with being competitive or the product on the field.  It was about going independent and the reasons I believe it would be foolish for USF to do so.

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

we have 1 and 1's with FSU and Miami now.

I believe we have them scheduled against Michigan State, NC State, & Indiana in the future.

There is no reason why we can't have 1 and 1's with just about anybody from 30 thru 120.

2 for 1's against a top 30 program.

Sure we would have to have 2 home games against 2 1-aa's or lowly 1-a's but how is that any different then now?

Imagine a schedule like this:

@ OU (2 for1)

vs. Texas (2 for 1)

@ Penn State (2 for 1)

vs. Ohio State (2 for 1)

@ Auburn (2 for 1)

@ LSU (2 for 1)

vs FSU (1 for 1)

vs Miami (1 for 1)

@ S Miss ( 1 for 1)

@ TCU

vs Wofford

vs FAMU

We have trouble filling the available games now because we are more concerned with revenue. Miami and FSU gave up their independence because they wanted more revenue. It wasn't because they had scheduling problems.

Who cares about a bowl against Memphis or NIU. We lose money on them anyway.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

There are not a whole lot of openings late in the season as most everyone is playing their conference games then.

• Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

94.  FSU even when they were an independent didn't play a schedule you just posted.  I'll still say your BE schedule is fine, just drop a NC State and Wofford and replace them with a Michigan and a Nebraska.  That's all it takes.  You're already playing all BE teams.

1.  Syracuse

2.  Louisville

3.  UConn

4.  West Virginia

5.  Cincinnati

6.  Rutgers

7.  Pitt

8.  FAU/FIU/UCF - pick one each year

9.  FSU/UM/UF - pick one each year

10. @ Nebraska

11. Michigan

12 @ Miami-Ohio

You can do that schedule TODAY.

• Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

94.  FSU even when they were an independent didn't play a schedule you just posted.  I'll still say your BE schedule is fine, just drop a NC State and Wofford and replace them with a Michigan and a Nebraska.  That's all it takes.  You're already playing all BE teams.

1.   Syracuse

2.   Louisville

3.   UConn

4.   West Virginia

5.   Cincinnati

6.   Rutgers

7.   Pitt

8.   FAU/FIU/UCF - pick one each year

9.   FSU/UM/UF - pick one each year

10. @ Nebraska

11. Michigan

12 @ Miami-Ohio

now this is a schedule one an be proud of

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

1.   Syracuse

2.   Louisville

3.   UConn

4.   West Virginia

5.   Cincinnati

6.   Rutgers

7.   Pitt

8.   FAU/FIU/UCF - pick one each year

9.   FSU/UM/UF - pick one each year

10. @ Nebraska

11. Michigan

12 @ Miami-Ohio

it was a hypothetical schedule.

Here was Miami's actual schedule in 1988

vs FSU

@ Michigan

vs Wisconsin

vs Missouri

@ Notre Dame

vs Cincy

@ ECU

vs Tulsa

@ LSU

vs Arkansas

vs BYU

and a bowl against Nebraska.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

First, the schedule you reference for Miami is actually not that tough.  there are 2 or 3 name teams on there, Michigan, ND, and maybe FSU.  The others are only moderately tough if that.

Second as I said it's a terrible idea.  If it's so good, why isn't Miami doing it right now.  You just killed any hope of getting a BCS bowl unless for some miricle you go undefeated.  Right now all you have to do is win conf.  If this is such a great idea, then why aren't 120 FBS athletic directors (except ND) all over it.  They get paid a lot more and know a lot more than we do, you would think they would be all over it if this was such a good plan.  If you want to beef up non conf (which by the way is tough enough now with ND, UF, and UM on sched), then fine, but this plan would likely destroy your program.  How many big time recruits do you think u could get?  Try none to very few who would want to be a part of a program that can't go to BCS bowls, can't go to any bowl due to no tie ins, and can't win a conf championship.  This plan may have worked 25 yrs ago but it wont work today. 

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Not to mention you want to be a big time program but you are giving away 2-1s like candy.  Big time programs do not do 2-1s, this is small time thinking.  If you want to be big time act big time, we only do 1-1s with anyone and everyone.  You said give 2-1s for top 30 programs, WE ARE a top 30 program the past 3-4 years so you want to give programs our equals 2-1s???  Sun belt programs don't even do 2-1s any more, most of them are demanding 1-1s or a huge payday.

Archived