usf needs to increase revenue

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

For us to go independent, we'd have to play most of our games on the road if we wanted decent matchups.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

I have been saying USF should change their scheduling for years. Going independent is not the answer.

The need to start playing major programs every year OOC. They honestly have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is the opposite of a Florida which would have everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing this(which is why they don't).

Unlike Florida, USF needs the increased revenue and increased recognition that playing a big name OOC opponent provides.

Some of you may be delusional, but just accept the fact the USF isn't winning a NC anytime soon. They also aren't getting into the BCS as an at large team.

So OOC game results will not keep USF from winning a NC or from making a BCS game.

They have nothing to lose and this can be a huge advantage.

USF should try and schedule at least 2 big time programs every year. Even if it means 2 and 1's, 3 and 1's, even 1 and dones.

These will result in big paydays and an increased awareness of the program. I'm not talking about South Carolina's, NC Sts, etc...

I am talking about Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio St, Mich, Alabama, UGA, UF, LSU.

USF is good enough that it is going to win some of these games every now and then. If they lose it doesn't effect the Big East results at all. It will increase revenues and national profiles and I truly believe will lead to USF competing for national championships a lot sooner then if they keep playing the Elon's of the world. Plus who doesn't like the take on all comer's rep that comes with it.

we make more playing Elon at home than we would playing any top college on the road. that's why everybody plays cupcakes. Programs are more worried about generating revenue than they are about giving their fans a decent product.

That's ruining college football.

FSU and Miami built their programs from scratch playing as independents.

How much revenue do we really need?

stick every program but football in the atlantic 10. They all seem to do fine without football generating revenue for them.

The purpose of our football program should be to go out and make a name for our school.

The only way to truly put ourselves on the map is to do what FSU and Miami did in the 80's and early 90's. Play as an independent and play anybody, anywhere, anytime.

I would take a schedule like I proposed over any we have now even if we don't have a bowl game.

We haven't had a season yet where our bowl opponent was better than every opponent during the regular season. Bowls are nothing more than glorified road games for both teams. It ***** getting stuck playing NIU or Memphis.

so true

playing such weak opponents like stoney brook is a waste

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Division I Schools By Athletic Revenues (2009)

#65 $37,855,972  South Florida (BIGEAST)

http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-revenue

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

School  2008 Football Revenue

University of Notre Dame $56,929,397.00

West Virginia University $28,952,873.00

University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus $20,494,743.00

Rutgers University-New Brunswick $19,738,023.00

University of Louisville $18,962,150.00

Syracuse University $17,086,213.00

University of South Florida $14,154,015.00

University of Connecticut $13,520,096.00

University of Cincinnati-Main Campus $11,460,935.00

Villanova University $4,680,860.00

Georgetown University $1,548,859.00

From what I understand from pretty reliable sources, you don't donate annually.  Yet you claim to have made millions.

Quit with your stupid posts about money unless you are going to pony up.  Heck you are not listed as a bullspendonor either.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Going independent is a horrible idea.  Scheduling 3-1s with big names is a horrible idea.  If it is so great, why isn't there even ONE FBS team out of 120 doing it.  So what happens when we schedule a 3-1 with a big name school, they lose their coach and go down hill.  Now we are stuck with a 3-1 with a low level, although big name, school.  In order to be big time, u act big time.  Big time schools do not do 2-1's and 3-1's with other bcs schools.  U would be laughed off the map for being a small time school who needs to schedule 1-0's, 2-1s, and 3-1s.  Even sun belt teams are getting 1-1s with bcs teams.  We do 1-1 and only 1-1's except in extreme cases (for example the ND deal). If u want to beef up the OOC then fine, we can argue about that (I feel with ND, Miami, and FL on the schedule it's plenty tough enough), but to go independent and start scheduling all 2-1 and 3-1's is a terrible idea, imo.  The only way to even think about going indy is if for some reasone we got left out of the BCS if there was a shakeup, and even then it would be a stretch.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Bull 94 GETS IT!  Football runs athletic programs anyway so the rest of the programs fend for themselves anyway.  The greatest coach in NCAA football history, Bobby Bowden built FSU football that way, with agates.  This cowardly SEC BS playing OOC cupcakes and avoiding strong OOC competition makes me puke.  When was the last time UF played a WVU, Texas A&M or Rutgers?

I would say Holtz could do it too, just knock off the Stoney Brooks and add one or two more heavies.  Play a Nebraska and a Michigan, plus UF and a UCF plus our seven in-conference games in the BE makes 11 and play another lower tier Big 12 team like Kansas.

+1

Also while I might get poo-poo'd on for even suggesting this... if FSU, UF, or Miami don't feel like playing us anymore once the contracts expire then we should add UCiF back into the mix every so often.

We should also make at least one OOC game in the deep south, thus it would be in driving distance... there are tons of programs that are just over the Florida border that would be worth a trip... (Georgia, Georgia Tech, Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Clemson, SC, LaTech, ECU, Tulane, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Vandy, etc.)

USF needs to focus on saving as much travel $$$ as possible considering it has to travel up to Yankee land for the majority of our BEast games. Thus a home and away with any of the above schools would guarantee a sell out once a year... I'm fine with the first team out of the gate being a cup cake... but after that they need to be tougher.

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

Going independent is a horrible idea.  Scheduling 3-1s with big names is a horrible idea.  If it is so great, why isn't there even ONE FBS team out of 120 doing it.  So what happens when we schedule a 3-1 with a big name school, they lose their coach and go down hill.  Now we are stuck with a 3-1 with a low level, although big name, school.  In order to be big time, u act big time.  Big time schools do not do 2-1's and 3-1's with other bcs schools.  U would be laughed off the map for being a small time school who needs to schedule 1-0's, 2-1s, and 3-1s.  Even sun belt teams are getting 1-1s with bcs teams.  We do 1-1 and only 1-1's except in extreme cases (for example the ND deal). If u want to beef up the OOC then fine, we can argue about that (I feel with ND, Miami, and FL on the schedule it's plenty tough enough), but to go independent and start scheduling all 2-1 and 3-1's is a terrible idea, imo.  The only way to even think about going indy is if for some reasone we got left out of the BCS if there was a shakeup, and even then it would be a stretch.

I didn't say anything about 3 for 1's. Hell UCF did a 2 for 1 with Texas. I've never even heard of a 3 for 1. We could do 6 2 for 1's where we play 4 on the road and 2 at home every year. We can balance that by playing 2 1 and done every year. That's 4 home and 4 road games. Do 1 for 1's for the other 4 games. We could schedule Nebraska, Texas, Penn State, Michigan, OSU, OU, Alabama, etc. Heck we could play 6 of those in one year with 1 for 1's against FSU and Miami.

Our schedule could be miles more entertaining as an independent. Sure we would lose out on some revenue but I could care less. As a fan, I want to be entertained. Look at Miami's schedule in the late 80's as an independent. They routinely played 2 top schools from each of the major conferences. The recruits wanted to play in big games against major opponents. That's how they built their program.

Give me 10 quality opponents (with 6 top 25 programs) as an independent every year over the BE revenue and crappy bowl selection(especially if we become c-usa lite).

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Who do you think we can schedule the 1 and done's or the 1 and 1s with?  1 and done's will be FBS (1AA) teams.  1 and 1s will be non-bcs teams some would be FCS teams.  Then we could go 9-3 or even 10-2 and still get left out of a bowl.  Not just a good bowl, any bowl.

We are a young school with no tradition or history and a modest local following.  We are not Notre Dame, Navy, or Army.

FSU and Miami did it way before the BCS, they gave up their independence because it is too difficult to maintain a program that way.

I know it sounds awesome on the surface, "hey we get to play whom ever we want".  Unfortunately, that's not the reality.  Heck, we have trouble filling the available games we have now.

• Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

I've already posted this before, but Bull94 is pretty much right.  I've said do this while in the BE and you cover both sides... a killer OOC schedule AND a FBS post season game.

Archived