usf needs to increase revenue

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

I have been saying USF should change their scheduling for years. Going independent is not the answer.

The need to start playing major programs every year OOC. They honestly have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is the opposite of a Florida which would have everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing this(which is why they don't).

Unlike Florida, USF needs the increased revenue and increased recognition that playing a big name OOC opponent provides.

Some of you may be delusional, but just accept the fact the USF isn't winning a NC anytime soon. They also aren't getting into the BCS as an at large team.

So OOC game results will not keep USF from winning a NC or from making a BCS game.

They have nothing to lose and this can be a huge advantage.

USF should try and schedule at least 2 big time programs every year. Even if it means 2 and 1's, 3 and 1's, even 1 and dones.

These will result in big paydays and an increased awareness of the program. I'm not talking about South Carolina's, NC Sts, etc...

I am talking about Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio St, Mich, Alabama, UGA, UF, LSU.

USF is good enough that it is going to win some of these games every now and then. If they lose it doesn't effect the Big East results at all. It will increase revenues and national profiles and I truly believe will lead to USF competing for national championships a lot sooner then if they keep playing the Elon's of the world. Plus who doesn't like the take on all comer's rep that comes with it.

the big east is closest we'll get to being independent.  5 ooc games

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  99

I have been saying USF should change their scheduling for years. Going independent is not the answer.

The need to start playing major programs every year OOC. They honestly have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is the opposite of a Florida which would have everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing this(which is why they don't).

Unlike Florida, USF needs the increased revenue and increased recognition that playing a big name OOC opponent provides.

Some of you may be delusional, but just accept the fact the USF isn't winning a NC anytime soon. They also aren't getting into the BCS as an at large team.

So OOC game results will not keep USF from winning a NC or from making a BCS game.

USF should try and schedule at least 2 big time programs every year. Even if it means 2 and 1's, 3 and 1's, even 1 and dones.

These will result in big paydays and an increased awareness of the program. I'm not talking about South Carolina's, NC Sts, etc...

USF is good enough that it is going to win some of these games every now and then. If they lose it doesn't effect the Big East results at all. It will increase revenues and national profiles and I truly believe will lead to USF competing for national championships a lot sooner then if they keep playing the Elon's of the world. Plus who doesn't like the take on all comer's rep that comes with it.

we make more playing Elon at home than we would playing any top college on the road. that's why everybody plays cupcakes. Programs are more worried about generating revenue than they are about giving their fans a decent product.

That's ruining college football.

FSU and Miami built their programs from scratch playing as independents.

How much revenue do we really need?

stick every program but football in the atlantic 10. They all seem to do fine without football generating revenue for them.

The purpose of our football program should be to go out and make a name for our school.

The only way to truly put ourselves on the map is to do what FSU and Miami did in the 80's and early 90's. Play as an independent and play anybody, anywhere, anytime.

I would take a schedule like I proposed over any we have now even if we don't have a bowl game.

We haven't had a season yet where our bowl opponent was better than every opponent during the regular season. Bowls are nothing more than glorified road games for both teams. It ***** getting stuck playing NIU or Memphis.

I'm not sure why you have to play as an independent to do that. USF becoming independent is one of the worst idea's I have ever heard

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

we make more playing Elon at home than we would playing any top college on the road. that's why everybody plays cupcakes. Programs are more worried about generating revenue than they are about giving their fans a decent product.

stick every program but football in the atlantic 10. They all seem to do fine without football generating revenue for them.

The purpose of our football program should be to go out and make a name for our school.

The only way to truly put ourselves on the map is to do what FSU and Miami did in the 80's and early 90's. Play as an independent and play anybody, anywhere, anytime.

I would take a schedule like I proposed over any we have now even if we don't have a bowl game.

We haven't had a season yet where our bowl opponent was better than every opponent during the regular season. Bowls are nothing more than glorified road games for both teams. It ***** getting stuck playing NIU or Memphis.

I'm not sure why you have to play as an independent to do that. USF becoming independent is one of the worst idea's I have ever heard

as an independent, you control your own schedule.

as a conference member, you don't.

7 games are selected for you.

It's such a terrible idea that the most powerful program in the country  does it.

FSU built their program as an independent. Miami did as well.

If the BE turns into c-usa lite then it will be far worse than being independent for football. hell the current BE is just barely worth it.

obviously you are more concerned with revenue then the quality of schedule.

here are some of Miami's opponents in 1987 as an independent

#20 UF

#10 Arkansas

#4 FSU

#10 Notre Dame

#8 South Carolina

#1 Oklahoma

here are some in 86

UF

South Carolina

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Cincy

FSU

Pittsburgh

Penn State

here are some in 88

FSU

Michigan

Wisconsin

Missouri

Notre Dame

Cincy

LSU

Arkansas

BYU

Nebraska

perhaps you should think outside the box.

How much tv revenue a conference generates doesn't entertain me in the least.

a schedule like Miami's in the late 80's would.

• Content Count:  7,096
  • Days Won:  11

It's such a terrible idea that the most powerful program in the country  does it.

If the BE turns into c-usa lite then it will be far worse than being independent for football. hell the current BE is just barely worth it.

#20 UF

#10 Arkansas

#4 FSU

#10 Notre Dame

#8 South Carolina

#1 Oklahoma

here are some in 86

UF

South Carolina

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Cincy

FSU

Pittsburgh

Penn State

here are some in 88

FSU

Michigan

Wisconsin

Missouri

Notre Dame

Cincy

LSU

Arkansas

BYU

Nebraska

you realize the BCS didn't exist then, don't you?

also, "most powerful program in the country" still has a chance to make it into the bcs, a huge tv contract and a huge fan base, we would have non of those....

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Also, FSU and Miami both gave up their independence long ago.

Also, FSU and Miami both gave up their independence long ago.

they're probably kicking themselves too  ;D

#20 UF

#10 Arkansas

#4 FSU

#10 Notre Dame

#8 South Carolina

#1 Oklahoma

here are some in 86

UF

South Carolina

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Cincy

FSU

Pittsburgh

Penn State

here are some in 88

FSU

Michigan

Wisconsin

Missouri

Notre Dame

Cincy

LSU

Arkansas

BYU

Nebraska

also, "most powerful program in the country" still has a chance to make it into the bcs, a huge tv contract and a huge fan base, we would have non of those....

I believe the BCS has rules in place for at large selections.

again you are talking about revenue( huge tv contract).

I'm a fan. I'm more concerned with being entertained.

Playing Elon(boring) at home 3 times brings in more revenue.

Playing Texas on the road twice and at home once is more entertaining to me.

BTW we would build a fanbase much quicker playing tough teams on the road then we will playing stoney brook, FAU and western kentucky(that looks like our schedule 11 years ago) at home. I think if we were playing the type of schedule I suggested earlier then we would get tv money too.

When the BE becomes c-usa lite, we should break off and go independent. We might not swim in conference cash(ha ha) like we do now but at least we can play an interesting schedule loaded with current BCS national champs during the regular season even if we don't get to play 7-6 MAC(NIU) and C-USA(memphis) also rans in our prestigious BE bowls.

• Content Count:  771

I think USF has done a good job scheduling tough oc teams lately.  Yes we have the creampuffs, but florida and miami this year.  ND and Miami next year.  USF has some big 10 schools further down the road scheduled. 

#20 UF

#10 Arkansas

#4 FSU

#10 Notre Dame

#8 South Carolina

#1 Oklahoma

here are some in 86

UF

South Carolina

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Cincy

FSU

Pittsburgh

Penn State

here are some in 88

FSU

Michigan

Wisconsin

Missouri

Notre Dame

Cincy

LSU

Arkansas

BYU

Nebraska

I believe the BCS has rules in place for at large selections.

again you are talking about revenue( huge tv contract).

I'm a fan. I'm more concerned with being entertained.

Playing Elon(boring) at home 3 times brings in more revenue.

Playing Texas on the road twice and at home once is more entertaining to me.

BTW we would build a fanbase much quicker playing tough teams on the road then we will playing stoney brook, FAU and western kentucky(that looks like our schedule 11 years ago) at home. I think if we were playing the type of schedule I suggested earlier then we would get tv money too.

When the BE becomes c-usa lite, we should break off and go independent. We might not swim in conference cash(ha ha) like we do now but at least we can play an interesting schedule loaded with current BCS national champs during the regular season even if we don't get to play 7-6 MAC(NIU) and C-USA(memphis) also rans in our prestigious BE bowls.

can't be entertained if you (usf) can't afford to put a team on the field and pay for a decent coach.

why couldn't you afford a decent coach?

and why couldn't you afford to run a program?

I get tired of the money grab.

Sure the rest of athletics need the football money but even as an independent football could be self sustaining.

football conference tv and bowl revenue isn't nearly as much as you would think.

wvu lost money when they went to a BCS game. In fact they lost over $1M dollars when they played OU in the Fiesta Bowl.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2009/12/14/the-incongruous-math-of-college-bowls/

We could get paid to go on the road instead of not getting anything to travel to a conference game. Big programs payout $1M just to play cupcakes. We would have our tv rights to sell (might be worth a little if we can get teams like Texas,OU, etc to play 2 for 1's)

We obviously wouldn't bring in as much revenue but it's not like we are in the ACC,Big10,Big12,SEC,Pac10.

Give me an entertaining schedule like Miami's in the late 80's. They play 2 SEC, 2 Big 12, 2 Big 10, FSU and other top programs every year.

One year the played OU and Texas Tech. The next they played Missouri and Nebraska.

UF and south carolina then LSU arkansas.

Michigan and wisconsin. penn state and wvu.

I know it will never happen but I think it would be worth the risk especially if we go to c-usa lite.

Archived