Big10 Rejects Mizzou's bid...

Cow Pie

Not really sure it's a Mexican standoff.  The Big Ten can move on with 12 members and revisit the issue in 2020 or 2050... there's no reason the Big Ten has to do anything more at this point.

At this point, the Big 12-Lite, ACC & SEC all have long-term TV agreements that will keep them intact and the same through the end of the decade.

There are two forces that could cause issues:

1) The Big East losing AQ status in the BCS.

2) The MWC not getting AQ status.

Either of those could result in legal action or, more likely, government action.

The only other option would be if a network like Fox ponied up a huge number, like $10 billion over 10 years, for a playoff.  If Division I football could get $1 billion per year, you could see dramatic changes.

Therefore, I actually believe the only changes will be downstream. Utah to the Pac 10.  Fresno State to the MWC.  Maybe the Big 12 Lite looking to add BYU and Air Force in a couple of years.

What you see today is, in my opinion, virtually identical to what we will see in 2015.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

Not really sure it's a Mexican standoff.  The Big Ten can move on with 12 members and revisit the issue in 2020 or 2050... there's no reason the Big Ten has to do anything more at this point.

At this point, the Big 12-Lite, ACC & SEC all have long-term TV agreements that will keep them intact and the same through the end of the decade.

Either of those could result in legal action or, more likely, government action.

The only other option would be if a network like Fox ponied up a huge number, like $10 billion over 10 years, for a playoff.  If Division I football could get $1 billion per year, you could see dramatic changes.

Therefore, I actually believe the only changes will be downstream. Utah to the Pac 10.  Fresno State to the MWC.  Maybe the Big 12 Lite looking to add BYU and Air Force in a couple of years.

What you see today is, in my opinion, virtually identical to what we will see in 2015.

I agree.  I can't see the big 10 adding rutgers or syracuse.  definitely not pitt.  Rutgers vs (insert big 10 team)  does not draw any excitement nationally.  The only way rutgers is added is if the big 10 can get assurance that the network would be added to ny cable packages.  No gurantee because it is rutgers.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

It's a Mexican Standoff between ND and the Big10 because I believe the ESPN reports that the Big10 has banned ND from their schedules until they join the Big10.

ND has its own network and I'm sure that the annual rivalries they "had" with some Big10 teams played into that deal. When ND's deal expires and comes back up for renegotiating in a few years then it will be interesting to see if ND caves. Also I wonder if the Big10 ND ban will hurt their TV $$ for their own tv network... thus its a stand off. I understand this is all down the road so the Big10 is good for now & agree.

I disagree about the Big12 though... the Fox tv deal will not kick in until the Big12 has a conf. championship game... currently they only have 10 teams thus they will not be allowed to have one this year under NCAA rules.

I don't see the money hogs at UT sitting by and not having a Big12 Championship game.

Thus I see the Big12 adding 2 more teams this year and the Pac10 adding 1 more team.

• Content Count:  1,757

They stated they did not make much money off the champions hip game in the Big 12. Now with this new TV deal and two less schools to pay, they dont need to worry about it. They will not miss it

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

They stated they did not make much money off the champions hip game in the Big 12. Now with this new TV deal and two less schools to pay, they dont need to worry about it. They will not miss it

I have heard that they don't have a TV deal until they have a conference championship game, thus they will be losing money until they get the TV deal in place which can only occur with 2 extra teams.

The Big12 also lost millions in revenue... both Colorado and Nebraska had massive fan bases.

The math / facts don't add up to stay at 10 teams.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I believe the ESPN reports that the Big10 has banned ND from their schedules until they join the Big10.

Did Joe Schad say that?

• Content Count:  1,757

I have heard that they don't have a TV deal until they have a conference championship game, thus they will be losing money until they get the TV deal in place which can only occur with 2 extra teams.

The Big12 also lost millions in revenue... both Colorado and Nebraska had massive fan bases.

The math / facts don't add up to stay at 10 teams.

Dan Beebe: "We're not looking to expand at all."

It's a Mexican Standoff between ND and the Big10 because I believe the ESPN reports that the Big10 has banned ND from their schedules until they join the Big10.

ND has its own network and I'm sure that the annual rivalries they "had" with some Big10 teams played into that deal. When ND's deal expires and comes back up for renegotiating in a few years then it will be interesting to see if ND caves. Also I wonder if the Big10 ND ban will hurt their TV $$ for their own tv network... thus its a stand off. I understand this is all down the road so the Big10 is good for now & agree.

I disagree about the Big12 though... the Fox tv deal will not kick in until the Big12 has a conf. championship game... currently they only have 10 teams thus they will not be allowed to have one this year under NCAA rules.

I don't see the money hogs at UT sitting by and not having a Big12 Championship game.

Thus I see the Big12 adding 2 more teams this year and the Pac10 adding 1 more team.

Would need more than radio conjecture at this point to say the ultimatum was ever delivered. My guess is was not official - but more of an off-hand comment.

Notre Dame does not have "their own Network" - they have a TV deal with NBC for up 7 HOME games per year.  That's it. It gives them about a million per game, and it doesn't matter if it's Michigan or Nevada - people still watch because it's Notre Dame.

The Fox Sports deal kicks in regardless of the conference championship game -- not sure where you think you heard that from.  Since all sources coming out of the Big 12 have said they are "done" - perhaps for FIFTEEN YEARS.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I believe the ESPN reports that the Big10 has banned ND from their schedules until they join the Big10.

I wish a lot of programs would do this. ND and NBC can eat it.

Archived