maryland in play

tampabull

Why are you convinced that everyone will go to 16 teams? I don't see the per team money being enough to do it. Pac 10 adding Texas, etc. might make sense money wise going to 16, maybe the Big 10 can get enough. I don't see Rutgers adding enough though, NYC doesn't tune them in. It's not the tvs in the market, it's the tvs they can deliver. I think every team in the BE, except maybe Cincy and that's only a maybe, will get picked before USF. Better hope 16 is it because we'll get left behind otherwise. CUSA depends on who is there and whether we burnt too many bridges leaving in my opinion. I hope no BE teams get poached.

I'm not 100% convinced that EVERYONE will go to 16 teams.

But if the SEC expands to 16 - and that is an IF - then the ACC will be raided.  The Sporting News columnist predict this.

When the ACC is raided, they can't just "replace" the schools and go back to 12. That won't be enough revenue.  Especially -ESPECIALLY- if both FSU and Miami go to the SEC like the Sporting News columnist posted.

Therefore, if the SEC takes three or four schools from the ACC, then the ACC will go beyond 12 to at least 14 (if not 16).  And even at 14, the Tampa Bay market and USF's Olympic Sports and Academic Standing means the Bulls will play in the ACC.

The key there is the SEC.  If they don't go to 16, the ACC won't be raided fully and may need to add one team (WVU or Pittsburgh) to replace Maryland.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the original point of the poster is if Maryland leaves the ACC then this weakens the conference. Its similar, not exactly similar, to Nebraska leaving the Big 12. A weaker conference, ala the Big 12, makes it more succeptable to a raid.

I think that is where the original poster was going. If the ACC were to disolve like the Big 12 (its easy to see the SEC eyeing some ACC schools as well) then there is a chance that some of the schools the Big East lost a few years ago would be open to coming back and creating its own network and championship game.

Well, I would disagree.  If the Big 12 only lost Nebraska, it could be salvaged by adding a Mountain West team like Utah.  It's slightly weaker, but losing one team does not break up the league.  Heck, the Big 12 could still survive with the 10 teams now plus Utah and BYU.

The Big 12 is breaking up because of the Pac 16 move.

So, for the ACC to lose Maryland - that does not cause an issue in and of itself.  The Maryland could be replaced Louisville - comparable football and basketball programs.  Moreover, the ACC isn't going to lose 7 or 8 teams like the Big 12 will.  So the ACC is not nearly as precarious.

The ACC will lose - AT MOST - five teams. Maryland to the Big Ten and Florida State, Clemson, and two others to the SEC.  AT MOST.  They might only lose Maryland.  They might not lose ANY.

So if the ACC retains 8 or 9 members, then you can expect they will look at 3-4 teams from the Big East based on markets.  Syracuse would be the next step.  The ACC wanted the Orange before VA gov't forced the selection of VT.  U Conn would also bolster the basketball side even more, altough BC might not want that.  Rutgers does provide a new market, even if NY/NJ aren't die-hard fans; but they may be in the Big Ten.

Then, if the ACC loses 4 teams, we'd be competing with WVU, Pittsburgh and Louisville for the last slot.  Louisville makes the most sense - although Pitt has the academic standing to make it in the ACC.  If the ACC loses 5 teams, expect UL and Pitt to be selected over WVU and USF.

Here is what I see are the options:

(Rutgers goes to the Big Ten in all of the below)

ACC only loses MD - replaced with Louisville.

ACC loses MD, FSU, & Clemson - replaced with Louisville, Syracuse, and U Conn.

ACC loses MD, FSU, Clemson, UVa, and VT - replaced with Louisville, Syracuse, U Conn, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia.

ACC loses MD, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and GT - replaced with Louisville, Syracuse, U Conn, South Florida, and Pittsburgh

ACC loses five teams and agrees to grow to 14 - replaced with Louisville, Syracuse, U Conn, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, South Florida, and Cincinnati.

I think the last item happens.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

I guess the original point of the poster is if Maryland leaves the ACC then this weakens the conference. Its similar, not exactly similar, to Nebraska leaving the Big 12. A weaker conference, ala the Big 12, makes it more succeptable to a raid.

I think that is where the original poster was going. If the ACC were to disolve like the Big 12 (its easy to see the SEC eyeing some ACC schools as well) then there is a chance that some of the schools the Big East lost a few years ago would be open to coming back and creating its own network and championship game.

Well, I would disagree.  If the Big 12 only lost Nebraska, it could be salvaged by adding a Mountain West team like Utah.  It's slightly weaker, but losing one team does not break up the league.  Heck, the Big 12 could still survive with the 10 teams now plus Utah and BYU.

So, for the ACC to lose Maryland - that does not cause an issue in and of itself.  The Maryland could be replaced Louisville - comparable football and basketball programs.  Moreover, the ACC isn't going to lose 7 or 8 teams like the Big 12 will.  So the ACC is not nearly as precarious.

The ACC will lose - AT MOST - five teams. Maryland to the Big Ten and Florida State, Clemson, and two others to the SEC.  AT MOST.  They might only lose Maryland.  They might not lose ANY.

So if the ACC retains 8 or 9 members, then you can expect they will look at 3-4 teams from the Big East based on markets.  Syracuse would be the next step.  The ACC wanted the Orange before VA gov't forced the selection of VT.  U Conn would also bolster the basketball side even more, altough BC might not want that.  Rutgers does provide a new market, even if NY/NJ aren't die-hard fans; but they may be in the Big Ten.

Then, if the ACC loses 4 teams, we'd be competing with WVU, Pittsburgh and Louisville for the last slot.  Louisville makes the most sense - although Pitt has the academic standing to make it in the ACC.  If the ACC loses 5 teams, expect UL and Pitt to be selected over WVU and USF.

ACC loses MD, FSU, Clemson, UVa, and VT - replaced with Louisville, Syracuse, U Conn, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia.

ACC loses MD, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and GT - replaced with Louisville, Syracuse, U Conn, South Florida, and Pittsburgh

ACC loses five teams and agrees to grow to 14 - replaced with Louisville, Syracuse, U Conn, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, South Florida, and Cincinnati.

I was also assuming the SEC took 4 other ACC teams, but Jplow on 620 wdae just said OU might go to the SEC.  If they get OU and A&M I think all else will stay the same with the Big east other than rutgers and or syracuse.

I was also assuming the SEC took 4 other ACC teams, but Jplow on 620 wdae just said OU might go to the SEC.  If they get OU and A&M I think all else will stay the same with the Big east other than rutgers and or syracuse.

JPlow is not doing any original reporting - he's passing along rumors.  All the sources out of Oklahoma and Texas, the ones who have been right all along, are saying that OU will go with Texas.

• Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

OU said they are not leaving Texas, they have too long of a history together. Miami has said they don't want to be in the SEC and they don't fit the profile of the schools. If a couple teams move conferences, USF/BE will be fine. If all hell breaks loose, USF will end up in ACC. It's the middle scenario were the BE dissolves but there are not enough slots at the ACC table that is scary. Going back to CUSA would be a Knigtmare.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I think that if the ACC loses FSU, that we’d be in a good position. If they lose FSU and UM, I think that we’d be a lock.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Summarizing the Pros and Cons of Maryland and the Big Ten

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/6/12/1514370/summarizing-the-pros-and-cons-of

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

OU said they are not leaving Texas, they have too long of a history together. Miami has said they don't want to be in the SEC and they don't fit the profile of the schools. If a couple teams move conferences, USF/BE will be fine. If all hell breaks loose, USF will end up in ACC. It's the middle scenario were the BE dissolves but there are not enough slots at the ACC table that is scary. Going back to CUSA would be a Knigtmare.

Yup people need to stop thinking Miami is going to the SEC

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/11825/miami-ad-the-acc-is-our-home-and-thats-where-were-going-to-be

Every time i read Miami to the SEC in a post i just stop reading.  We are still in a scary spot and really need to be rooting for all hell to break loose. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/11825/miami-ad-the-acc-is-our-home-and-thats-where-were-going-to-be

Every time i read Miami to the SEC in a post i just stop reading.  We are still in a scary spot and really need to be rooting for all hell to break loose. 

Miami is saying the same things that the Big 12 schools were saying before the move.  Miami won't publicly say they want to move to the SEC until they vote to move to the SEC.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Miami is saying the same things that the Big 12 schools were saying before the move.  Miami won't publicly say they want to move to the SEC until they vote to move to the SEC.

Miami does not fit what the SEC wants in a school and the big 12 schools weren't trash talking the big 10 and pac 10 when this all started.  Miami knows the SEC doesn't want them and you can really get that feeling from reading that article and the quotes.  People are using mental gymnastics to try to make the situation more cushy for USF but it's taking some big time mental gymnastics to do so.  People can try to wish Miami into the SEC all they want but it's not going to happen.  Then again there are people on this board who realistically think USF has a shot at the SEC so i have to remember who I'm dealing with. 

This guy appears to be running rampant on here lately:

2814och.jpg

Archived