EXPANSION THREAD: TEXAS, A&M, TECH, BAYLOR

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

This is the same reason I think the RU => Big 10 is not a sure thing.  If the Big East could pull some top Big 12 leftovers, the city/market coverage of the combined new BE would be huge.  No way Rutgers leaves a conference that big.

Big 10 money blows away Big East money.  If Rutgers gets an invite, they would change conferences so fast Schiano would get whiplash.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

In terms of dollars, the BigEast can't compete against the SEC, BigTen, or Pac10.  I thought the same about the BigXII but what's going to be left of them isn't exactly the BigXII.  If the ACC gets hit hard, our combined basketball might can make the difference as a selling point, and an interesting piece of revenge by the likes of Syracuse.

Source: Pac-10 commissioner meets with OU, OSU officials; OU regents schedule Wednesday meeting

As the Big 12 faces what could be its final hours, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott flew to Oklahoma City on Saturday and spoke with officials from both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, presumably to hand out invitations to join his conference, a source with knowledge of conference realignment negotiations told The Oklahoman.

The meeting included OU president David Boren and athletic director Joe Castiglione as well as OSU president Burns Hargis and Pac-10 deputy commissioner Kevin Weiberg.

OU’s Board of Regents have scheduled a special meeting Wednesday afternoon to discuss conference realignment. There, the regents could authorize OU to relocate to the Pac-10.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/source-pac-10-commissioner-meets-with-ou-osu-officials-ou-regents-schedule-wednesday-meeting/article/3468289

Chris Brown reports:

Texas A&M regents have the votes to join the SEC and could announce that move as early as next week, sources tell Orangebloods.com

Texas A&M regents have the votes to join the SEC and could announce that move as early as next week, sources tell Orangebloods.com

— Chip Brown (@ChipBrownHD)

June 13, 2010

There are reports like this floating out there... which is why I think A & M ends up in the Pac 16 after all is said and done:

Another current Aggie theory:

Oh, well, we could go SEC and still play hated TU every Thanksgiving.

Uh, nope. The Austin boys have let it be known the series is over if the Aggies aren't with them.

Sure, it's chicken-spit. But it's also a good power play. Dodds means it. The rivalry would be dead. Who wants that? Who wants to totally rewrite the War Hymn?

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/12/2818553/its-better-for-texas-am-to-follow.html

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/s...lignment-061210

This is what I am thinking.  All the Texas schools still in the Big 12 Stay and add two more schools.  They do have some very competitive schools our that way and will only get better in the Big 12.  No conf. gets hurt and two schools get upgrades.  That to me is a win win.  It may calm all of this othe expansion stuff down

Four schools that come to mind are:

Houston

Utah

Colorado ST.

BYU

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

THE BEEBE PLAN

Here's what Beebe has provided to the five Big 12 South schools who have been targeted by the Pac-10, including Texas A&M, who has been in deep conversation about joining the SEC, according to sources.

--Beebe has secured information that enough money could be inked in its next TV negotiation (in 2011) that revenues per school would jump from between $7 million and $10 million in the Big 12 currently to $17 million beginning in 2012, which is what the SEC pays out.

--The remaining Big 10 schools would divide up the more than $20 million in buyout penalties that will have to be paid by Colorado and Nebraska for leaving the league early.

--Individal institutions would be allowed to pursue their own networks, which has been a goal of Texas. If the Longhorns went to the Pac-10, they would have to forgo their own distribution platforms, including a network, because the Pac-16 would seek to have a conference network in which all inventory is shared.

(Consultants have put Texas' ability to generate revenue from its own network at between $3 million and $5 million after a start-up window of about three years.)

--The Big 12 would proceed with 10 teams. Everyone would play everyone in football, providing a nine-game conference schedule.

--The conference championship game would be dumped in the short-term (because the NCAA mandates 12 schools for a football title game).

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093803

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

That's a good deal of buyout fee dollars. ****.

That makes more sense than the schools leaving and would appease Texas nicely, since they've been running the show since the inception of the Big 12

Archived