USF to turn over investigators' notes in Leavitt lawsuit

2000bull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76,338
  • Days Won:  439

She really may not have a computer.  I would be surprised but I guess that could be the case.

However, the trial spin would be great.  "She's so dumb, or unable to control herself, that she runs a multibillion dollar operation in the 21st century without a computer lest she type something incriminating or stupid."

didn't they take away obama's blackberry and email when he took office? I thought I heard something along those lines....of coarse I could be wrong.

I think he did have it taken away.  However that's different than "I can't be trusted around it."  I am sure USF's lawyers will spin it that she's busy with meetings and running the university and can't be bothered with the "you got mail ding."

Sanjay, if this doesn't get settled out of court will it be a jury trial?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

She really may not have a computer.  I would be surprised but I guess that could be the case.

However, the trial spin would be great.  "She's so dumb, or unable to control herself, that she runs a multibillion dollar operation in the 21st century without a computer lest she type something incriminating or stupid."

didn't they take away obama's blackberry and email when he took office? I thought I heard something along those lines....of coarse I could be wrong.

I think he did have it taken away.  However that's different than "I can't be trusted around it."  I am sure USF's lawyers will spin it that she's busy with meetings and running the university and can't be bothered with the "you got mail ding."

I have not looked at the complaint, but I have to believe that Leavitt's lawyers demanded a jury trial.  They can waive it later, but the initial demand in these types of cases is usually always for a jury.

• Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

Anyway, a University President is a politician 1st and foremost. I think Nixon taught most politicians to stay away from records. That's is why they don't like doing press conferences....too many cameras.

Bingo! 

Obama ended up keeping his, but his usage was severely restricted.  Too much information that could get into the wrong hands...including attorneys.  :D

I have not looked at the complaint, but I have to believe that Leavitt's lawyers demanded a jury trial.  They can waive it later, but the initial demand in these types of cases is usually always for a jury.

And am I just behind in the way things are done now or did the way the investigation was carried out, with the interviews supposedly not being recorded in any way, reek of trying to cover up something?

Hey...Where's my Amish U. post?

I truly want to know if the top administrators at USF don't have computers or use email.

It's here ... It didn't warrant its' own thread just to make a point ... Quit making me work so hard.

there's another way you could make things easier on yourself  ;D

+ infinity

I don't have that particular power but we do have a new policy where we have to ban people in pairs ........... just sayin.

slick + cmhatter = a pair  ::)

:nope

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

And am I just behind in the way things are done now or did the way the investigation was carried out, with the interviews supposedly not being recorded in any way, reek of trying to cover up something?

I doubt they are usually recorded via tape or transcriptionist.  Of course that may not be a big deal when you may have to fire someone making $50K a year, but when investigating an employee who you may ultimately owe $7million dollars to it seems a bit sloppy.  I would want a transcriptionist type up all the questions and answers contemporaneously and have the witness read and sign it (just like you would in a deposition) so that it would be as airtight as possible.  The fact that it was not is not a cover up or a conspiracy but just skoppy.  The big issue is if any of these witnesses go in a different direction in deposition or at trial and you cannot impeach them.

• Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

No.  This is the way things are done now.  It reeks of being proactive so as not to have to try and cover something up.  Think about it.  You are bringing in almost 30 people, most of whom are in the late teens and early 20s.  You haven't the slightest idea what they are going to say about anything.  Anything they say becomes part of the Sunshine Law, so could become public.  Do you want some kid spouting off on a random topic that has nothing to do with the investigation, then have it become public?  It could damage the reputation of the university, any of the coaches or staff.  Most importantly, it could cause problems for the kid himself, or other students or non-students.  A big risk.

Likely the university was most concerned about covering administration's backside.  But they could easily make the argument they did not record the proceedings in order to preseve the privacy of their students discussions about non-incident related activity.  It really isn't that big of a deal.  During the lawsuit any of these people can be brough back in to be deposed.  Nothing has really been lost.

• Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

No.  This is the way things are done now. 

OH, PUH-LEEZE!

I don't know what you do for a living but I'll bet it ain't managing a business with employees.  The way USF has supposedly gone about this is exactly how NOT to do it.

This report looks like it was written by an assistant manager of a Burger King to justify the firing of a fry cook.  It's not how you deal with a high profile, multi-million dollar executive with a contract.

Sandy Lovins and Gonzales are either completely incompetent or they were tasked with the pre-determined agenda.  There just isn't another option for this charade.

I have a great deal of confidence that gonzales is both more competent and entirely more successful than you :/ there's a reason why he is fairly highly regarded.

Children, can we please stop with the personal back and forth ....

• Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

Children, can we please stop with the personal back and forth ....

sorry :D

i had to

Archived