• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,096
  • Days Won:  11

no surprise that an la(california) based conference is now taking the lead

kind of funny that a kansas man might be throwing a wrench in the plans of an LA conference.  ;D

Will the 4 mega conferences be able to leave the ncaa and start their own thing??  I doubt legislators would allow that, because the smaller schools would be screwed.  All the mac, wac, confusa, sunbelt, and mwc would lose tons of money if the big boys left.  I highly doubt the states would allow this.

The states couldn't regulate it.  You're saying the Alabama Legislature would tell Bama and Auburn they couldn't leave because it affect UAB and Southern Alabama?  HA! 

Congress could regulate it, since it would be interstate trade - something Congress can regulate in the Constitution.

The board of regents are run by the states.  They have to approve any move a school does whether it is leaving a conference, starting an athletic program, or breaking off from the ncaa.  I'm not saying congress couldn't get involved either, and probably would.

Not all states have the same structure. In some cases, the universities have full control over their conference affiliation - as they do here in Florida.  The Board of Governors does not have to approve the contract, and doesn't have the authority to block conference changes.

The Florida Legislature would have to amend Florida law to block it from happening.  Which is what the Texas legislature is really talking about related to Baylor.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

This will be a case of ask for forgiveness afterwards.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

The government needs to get involved.   Somebody is not going to be happy.

:Bang

obama should get right on it

The government needs to stay the hell out of it.

just to be clear, I was being sarcastic, if that didn't come across that way  ;)

No need to be sarcastic, the remark was right on topic.

Since USF is a public University, they are a State School, so the Government is involved. College football creates interstate trade, so the Federal Government has jurisdiction. What I think should be asked, who is the ncaa, why was it formed, why does a private intity in charge of mostly public University athletic programs?

The NCAA is actually mostly private - remember, there are more than 1200 members of the NCAA, and it's an association -> like the Boy Scouts or the Masons or the Chamber of Commerce.  Members join and agree to follow the rules in exchange for the NCAA ensuring fairness across all members institutions.

There is also the NAIA, which is mostly smaller schools.

Some members of the media have speculated that if push comes to shove, the "BCS" programs would leave the NCAA altogether and form their own association, rather than share too much with the smaller schools.

Unlike the Boy Scouts or Masons which have other associations that allow you to succeed. You HAVE to join the NCAA to have any success in major college athletics. They can call it

“voluntary†much like a business makes “voluntary†payments to the local “protector†of their location. The NCAA is either a monopoly, or extortion.

Unlike the Boy Scouts or Masons which have other associations that allow you to succeed. You HAVE to join the NCAA to have any success in major college athletics. They can call it

“voluntary†much like a business makes “voluntary†payments to the local “protector†of their location. The NCAA is either a monopoly, or extortion.

The NCAA is neither.  First, schools don't have to even OFFER college athletics.  They are educational institutions, right?

Second, how you define success is probably not how universities define success. They really don't mean wins and losses - after all, this is not professional sports.  Winning is not everything in the bigger picture.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

The NCAA is neither.  First, schools don't have to even OFFER college athletics.  They are educational institutions, right?

Second, how you define success is probably not how universities define success. They really don't mean wins and losses - after all, this is not professional sports.  Winning is not everything in the bigger picture.

I can't and won't argue against any of your points, as they are 100% correct. I will say this, a University can not win a national title in Football, Basketball, Baseball, and many other sports unless they are members of the NCAA.

Serious question, how, why was the NCAA formed?

Another question, how do you know so much? I was telling my wife this morning that I love coming here because I learn so much info. I told her about you in particular. This board is different from most others as those of you that know, don't rub it in the face of those of us who know much less.

Archived