EXPANSION THREAD: KU/KSU/ISU/MU to BIG EAST

BullsFanInTX

Should BE invite KU and KSU right NOW!  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

The Big East will listen to all schools who want membership

By: Jim Williams

Examiner Sports Columnist

06/12/10 2:12 PM EDT

To say that it has been a crazy 72 hours in college sports would be an understatement. We have two Big 12 schools leave as Colorado left for PAC 10 and Nebraska moving to the Big Ten. So what is going to happen next?

This morning I reached member of the Big East Advisory Board who is working with the conference the future athletic and academic plans. He agreed to speak with me on the condition of anonymity about some key topics. Here are his answers to my questions:

On the question of Big East schools leaving for the Big Ten:â€We are in constant contact with all of member institutions and there has been no discussions by anyone about leaving. Our 16 members represent some of this country’s finest private and state run universities and they are all proud to be part of the Big East conference. I also want to put to rest any speculation that we are going to drop any of our members from the conference – that is simply not going to happen.â€

On the question of expansion:â€There is no question that conferences are making changes. As we have seen this week as the PAC 10, Big Ten and the Mountain West made the first of what could be many moves. We are monitoring what is going on and at the same time formulating our own plans for possible expansion. One thing is certain and that is we will not poach or attempt to talk a school from another conference into joining the Big East. Should there be interest in joining the conference we will always listen but we are not recruiting schools to the Big East. â€

On the inclusion of Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State and Baylor in the Big East expansion plans:†I know there has been a great deal of conversation in the media about those outstanding institutions and our conference. As well as a wonderful outpouring of our fans who would like to see those schools in the Big East. We have many very close friends at all the schools in the Big 12 and over the years we have worked together with them on many projects. But let us not forget that at this point in time the Big 12 still exists. It would be our hope that they would continue forward and survive as a conference. I will not speculate on what happens with those schools until there is some sort of resolution. I will say this about our plans going forward we have always had an open door policy with regards to adding schools and that will continue. There is no doubt in my mind that we will be adding schools to the conference. We are going to take our time and see just what the best options are both the conference as well as our membership. But if we have learned one thing this week it is never to be surprised what might happen.â€

Clearly one of those friends of the Big East is Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins, who held the same post at UConn and is still very well thought of throughout the conference. He could be a major player in putting together a deal that would land Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri and Baylor in the Big East. 

We now have to sit back and wait on what Texas and Texas A&M is going to do. Once that is clear the future of both the Big 12 as well as Big East expansion will be much clearer. 

A final note on what happened this week in the Big 12 comes from South Bend

“We continue to be focused on trying to do what we can to maintain our football independence and ensure the long-term viability of the Big East,†Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick told the Chicago Tribune yesterday. “Those two things aren’t impacted by the events of this week.†                

Translation to everyone – We are not going to the Big Ten. 

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/Watch-This/The-Big-East-will-listen-to-all-schools-who-want-membership-96216244.html#ixzz0qfVXseMd

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I think it's time we tell Loyola of Maryland to either join for all sports or get their women's lax team the *#@! out of the BigEast!

• Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

To say that it has been a crazy 72 hours in college sports would be an understatement. We have two Big 12 schools leave as Colorado left for PAC 10 and Nebraska moving to the Big Ten. So what is going to happen next?

This morning I reached member of the Big East Advisory Board who is working with the conference the future athletic and academic plans. He agreed to speak with me on the condition of anonymity about some key topics. Here are his answers to my questions:

On the question of Big East schools leaving for the Big Ten:â€We are in constant contact with all of member institutions and there has been no discussions by anyone about leaving. Our 16 members represent some of this country’s finest private and state run universities and they are all proud to be part of the Big East conference. I also want to put to rest any speculation that we are going to drop any of our members from the conference – that is simply not going to happen.â€

On the question of expansion:â€There is no question that conferences are making changes. As we have seen this week as the PAC 10, Big Ten and the Mountain West made the first of what could be many moves. We are monitoring what is going on and at the same time formulating our own plans for possible expansion. One thing is certain and that is we will not poach or attempt to talk a school from another conference into joining the Big East. Should there be interest in joining the conference we will always listen but we are not recruiting schools to the Big East. â€

On the inclusion of Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State and Baylor in the Big East expansion plans:†I know there has been a great deal of conversation in the media about those outstanding institutions and our conference. As well as a wonderful outpouring of our fans who would like to see those schools in the Big East. We have many very close friends at all the schools in the Big 12 and over the years we have worked together with them on many projects. But let us not forget that at this point in time the Big 12 still exists. It would be our hope that they would continue forward and survive as a conference. I will not speculate on what happens with those schools until there is some sort of resolution. I will say this about our plans going forward we have always had an open door policy with regards to adding schools and that will continue. There is no doubt in my mind that we will be adding schools to the conference. We are going to take our time and see just what the best options are both the conference as well as our membership. But if we have learned one thing this week it is never to be surprised what might happen.â€

Clearly one of those friends of the Big East is Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins, who held the same post at UConn and is still very well thought of throughout the conference. He could be a major player in putting together a deal that would land Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri and Baylor in the Big East.   

We now have to sit back and wait on what Texas and Texas A&M is going to do. Once that is clear the future of both the Big 12 as well as Big East expansion will be much clearer. 

“We continue to be focused on trying to do what we can to maintain our football independence and ensure the long-term viability of the Big East,†Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick told the Chicago Tribune yesterday. “Those two things aren’t impacted by the events of this week.†                  

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/Watch-This/The-Big-East-will-listen-to-all-schools-who-want-membership-96216244.html#ixzz0qfVXseMd

So based on this article the BE will not drop teams like DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence. Huge msitake, and this will ultimately lead to the demise of BE football and lead to some BE teams being picked up by other conferences while leaving other BE teams in the position that Iowa State, Baylor, and KSU find themselves in now.

• Content Count:  4,879

Easy to say, "won't boot any school", but that's not the same as saying, "We decided to add 4 B12 schools and these basketball member schools of the BE decided to withdraw."

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

:ROFLMAO

This story is proof positive that the Big East leaders are delusional into thinking that they will survive this 16 team mega conference realignment without kicking out the basketball schools.

The Big East is dead, there can be no debate about it now... they are too full of themselves .

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Nice prepared statement from an unnamed person with no authority on an Advisory Board, not an actual Big East official. It basically says nothing.

• Content Count:  2,016

The 12/20 alignment for the Big East would work pretty well.  The BBall would actually be easier to schedule than the current set up. 

If Rutgers or other teams leaves the BE could then expand by adding teams that would be inclined to join. 

Not Poaching Schools to consider

ECU (NC market)

Memphis (Memphis market)

Temple (Philadelphia market, makes a lot of sense if adding a cable network)

UCF (Orlando market)

If Poaching (Based on SEC raiding ACC)

Maryland (DC, Baltimore Market)

Miami (Miami market)

The Key to future BE is Mizzou (St. Louis and Kansas City Markets, the 12/20 does not make sense without them).

• Content Count:  2,016

Maybe a board Moderator could make a temp board for realignment posts with the 12/20 alignment and BE/ACC alignment topics as stickies?

• Content Count:  509

The 12/20 alignment for the Big East would work pretty well.  The BBall would actually be easier to schedule than the current set up. 

If Rutgers or other teams leaves the BE could then expand by adding teams that would be inclined to join. 

Not Poaching Schools to consider

ECU (NC market)

Memphis (Memphis market)

Temple (Philadelphia market, makes a lot of sense if adding a cable network)

UCF (Orlando market)

If Poaching (Based on SEC raiding ACC)

Maryland (DC, Baltimore Market)

Miami (Miami market)

The Key to future BE is Mizzou (St. Louis and Kansas City Markets, the 12/20 does not make sense without them).

With the current state of affairs UCF and ECU should be way way down the list of potential BE expansion. Memphis maybe! In addition to B12 left overs Temple,TCU,Houston,Tulane would also make sense imo. But the BE doesn't have the ***** to agressivelly go after the B 12 left overs,TCU and Houston!   

• Content Count:  259

If the BE adds Iowa St they have completely lost their minds. Irrelevant in their own very very tiny market and bad in the 2 main sports. Would be a welfare program, even the MWC said no thanks.

Archived