Skip talked to O'liar...Why?

zarnozdabull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

3. C-USA home and home series

To say a home-and-home series with a Conference USA team would be good for USF is asinine. UCF and the like can come to Raymond James anytime they want; USF has nothing to gain by going to their stadiums and there is no compelling reason for USF to do so. You want them to do it every year! Wow.

If you had said home-and-home with UCF, as opposed to any Conference USA team, that would have been less ridiculous. But to suggest a home-and-home series with, say, Tulsa, or SMU, or UAB, etc, would offer anything to USF is silly.

I think most of those opposed to a USF/UCF series would have no problem playing UCF in Tampa every year, or perhaps going to Orlando once every three games or something like that. But UCF insists on a level home-and-home, and that's a joke. You make a distinction between UCF and MAC teams, but why? What makes you think UCF is any better than Marshal, Miami of Ohio, etc? Conference USA is terrible, even worse than when USF was in the conference.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

To say a home-and-home series with a Conference USA team would be good for USF is asinine. UCF and the like can come to Raymond James anytime they want; USF has nothing to gain by going to their stadiums and there is no compelling reason for USF to do so. You want them to do it every year! Wow.

I think most of those opposed to a USF/UCF series would have no problem playing UCF in Tampa every year, or perhaps going to Orlando once every three games or something like that. But UCF insists on a level home-and-home, and that's a joke. You make a distinction between UCF and MAC teams, but why? What makes you think UCF is any better than Marshal, Miami of Ohio, etc? Conference USA is terrible, even worse than when USF was in the conference.

We have 1-1 deals with Western Kentucky and Miami of Ohio.  Some might reasonably believe that a 1-1 with UCF would be better than either of those.

• Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

We have 1-1 deals with Western Kentucky and Miami of Ohio.  Some might reasonably believe that a 1-1 with UCF would be better than either of those.

And those deals suck. Western Kentucky is probably the single worst FBS team (understandably so, being the newest).

The Ball State deal also sucks. Hopefully beyond 2012 we don't see these games as often. It's probably inevitable that circumstances will cause USF to have to take these kinds of deals once in a while, but to plan on away games to lower-conference schools every year or every two years would be stupid. Thankfully, Doug Woolard is not stupid.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

And those deals suck. Western Kentucky is probably the single worst FBS team (understandably so, being the newest).

The Ball State deal also *****. Hopefully beyond 2012 we don't see these games as often. It's probably inevitable that circumstances will cause USF to have to take these kinds of deals once in a while, but to plan on away games to lower-conference schools every year or every two years would be stupid. Thankfully, Doug Woolard is not stupid.

You are right, Ball State not Miami of Ohio.  Both deals were signed by Woolard.

Has nothing to do with Woolard being stupid, it is simple economics.

Only a couple ways to get a home game: Pay for it and do not return a game or sign for a return game.  We simply cannot afford to do the former and compete with what the big BCS teams are paying for these games.  That leaves us returning a game.  Unfortunately given that every other year we need 3 OOC games just to have 6 home games (forget the 7 that Woolard would like to have) and it becomes a leverage issue and we have less of it.  Maybe we can get a 2-1 like we did with FAU and FIU, but FIU bailed on their second game in Tampa last year and the WKU deal tells me that our leverage with anyone else would not be much.

On the flip side UCF has benefited from this as they have been able to sign 1-1 deals with NC State and Boston College because those teams, like us, are in need of home games and do not have the money to buy them.

• Content Count:  14,480
  • Days Won:  13

I would love to see USF kick some Oregon BUTT.

Guest nybullsfan

You've got USF playing 3 BCS teams OOC.  Quick, name me one other team that plays 3 BCS teams OOC.  Some play zero (Texas Tech, etc.), and a lot play only 1, some play 2.  So you've got USF playing 300% more bcs games than a lot of programs.

This is an old argument, but...

Most BCS teams play 8-9 BCS teams IN conference, where we only play 7.

Based on the TOTAL # of BCS teams played (in and out of conference), we're about the same as most other programs.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

1 ???

2 UCF/FAU/FIU

3 road BCS

4 home BCS

5 Miami

6 Cincinnati

7 Connecticut

8 Louisville

9 Pittsburgh

10 Rutgers

11 Syracuse

12 West Virginia

You've got USF playing 3 BCS teams OOC.  Quick, name me one other team that plays 3 BCS teams OOC.  Some play zero (Texas Tech, etc.), and a lot play only 1, some play 2.  So you've got USF playing 300% more bcs games than a lot of programs.

I was not suggesting this be the formula, but to point out what we would need to fill out the schedule if we were to drop the 1AA game and the Sun Belt games.

This is an old argument, but...

Most BCS teams play 8-9 BCS teams IN conference, where we only play 7.

Based on the TOTAL # of BCS teams played (in and out of conference), we're about the same as most other programs.

I was thinking the same thing.

• Content Count:  3,000
  • Days Won:  4

If you had said home-and-home with UCF, as opposed to any Conference USA team, that would have been less ridiculous. But to suggest a home-and-home series with, say, Tulsa, or SMU, or UAB, etc, would offer anything to USF is silly.

1. home and home with C-USA is better than any sunbelt or mac squad. (ps - marshall is in c-usa) i'm not saying go out and play the powerhouses of rice and tulane, but trips to SMU (dallas), Houston, Tulsa (minus last year they've been decent), or ECU would not only open up a nice little recruiting opportunity in texas and the surrounding areas, but they would provide a decent opponent, certainly better than what we've been getting. Southern Miss is no gimme game either.

2. I think people have flawed logic in thinking that USF is on the level to play all these "home only" games...really? really? we might have beaten up on ucf four times, but we are not, overall as a program, superior enough yet to warrant ANY FBS teams to come do a setup like that. i have yet to see us do so, not even with "lowly" FAU/FIU (before they got bought out by rutgers), WKU, etc.

On paper, USF could get there, but we are not at that point yet where teams are willing to come to our house more than once without getting a return trip out of it. We might be lucky to get some 2 for 1 deals (which have yet to happen) in the next few years, if we keep winning.

The other reason is that our fanbase is not epically big. With some teams like Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame, is that their average game attendance is so high that they use it as a cop out to not go to smaller stadiums where their fanbase is handicapped by how many can get in, and at the "worst" for them, is that they get a neutral site game set up (like ND playing in NYC vs Army or Rutgers).

When USF can sell out RJS every Saturday, and prove that it can bring 45-50K on the road every week (at least in games this side of the Mississippi), then we'll start talking about us playing 'home with no return' games vs anyone who isn't an FCS team that brings 50 people to RJS and has a stadium cap of 30,000 and average 10,000.

Miami and FSU don't sell out home games. I think its the TV audience and it getting picked up is more important then sell outs. To do that, need to get in the top 25 AND STAY THERE at the end of the season.

Archived