Starting OL

Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

I think in 2005 we'll really start to see the fruits of these good recruiting classes we've had the last couple years. A lot of great recruits have been redshirting.

BTW I wouldn't count on Muy to be available in 2005. I know he's trying a "hardship" appeal to get the sit-out year waived, but I seriously doubt the NCAA will grant it.

appeal? did he already lose his initial request?

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

By NCAA rule, transfers are required to sit out a year unless dropping down a division. Muy is asking for a waiver of that rule on the hardship basis that his mother is sick. He didn't lose any initial request, what he's appealing against is the rule in general. Perhaps I could have worded it better. "Waiver" would have been a better way to phrase it than "appeal".

And I really don't see the NCAA granting this. What does Muy's mother being sick have to do with him being allowed to play football in 2005? He's not being forced to spend the 2005-06 academic year in Nebraska. He can change schools to be nearer to his family any time he wants. He can even be on athletic scholarship at USF. He just can't play in a game for a year. But, the NCAA is so random and arbitrary that anything is possible.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

They have granted this type of waiver situation before, very recently... i'll try and find the post that howie mentioned.  A good lawyer would be able to use this most recent case and would probably win  (howie, if you are there... do you remember what thread this was under? )

Here is howiep's post from the midgett/muy thread:

Velcro, evidently the NCAA does recognize "family illness" in some case, but I don't know the particulars:

Quote:The staff provided the subcommittees with a breakdown of the situations in which relief has been provided and a breakdown in categories of the cases being reviewed. In Division I, it appears that waiver requests that are granted primarily occur under the following circumstances: (1) the student-athlete relied on a coaching error indicating that he/she could participate in minimal competition and still redshirt, (2) the student-athlete relied on a coaching error and the institution funded student-athlete?s participation in an unattached event, or (3) the student-athlete was forced to withdraw from school due to documented family illness or financial hardship after participating in limited competition. The Division II cases that were granted involved student-athletes who participated in a limited amount of competition and then were prohibited from finishing the season as a result of family illness or financial difficulty. Finally, in Division III, the four cases that were granted involved extraordinary circumstances.  

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Item #3 is clearly aimed at student-athletes who had to quit school to be the primary breadwinner in their family when someone else fell ill. Clearly that isn't the case here. Muy is just changing locations to be nearer to his family. He wasn't "forced to withdraw from school."

I don't mean to be harsh, but I very seriously doubt Muy's situation would warrant a waiver. But when you're dealing with the NCAA's Selective Enforcement Division, anything is possible.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

I don't think Muy will start anyway.  I predict:

T- Springfield

G- Carothers

C- Miller

G- Griffin

T- Davis

Guest Old Hoss

Gota love this place. Some of you guys have no clue, really have no clue. If you haven't seen someone play don't just look at height, weight, and read some scouting reports then go on here and say how so and so is the greatest of all time. That being said Towe won't be a factor and Springfield needs to step up big time or he will be the weak link.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Hoss,

I live in South Carolina, so, all I to go on is the things you mentioned.  That's why I asked the question.  What makes you such an expert?  Your chastising people on here.  What do you know that no one else does?

Someone who comes on a messageboard insulting people probably has less "clue" than anyone else.   I don't care if you have all the knowledge in the world.  If you spout off like a @$$ about it, no one will listen to you anyway, making your 'vast knowlege' useless.