OCS football discussion (posts from Re: Big 10 raiding BE?)

Cow Pie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

is there any type of fund that has been started for a future OCS?

I would really like to point my donations towards and OCS.

There have been times where I have considered starting up a 501© for the sole purpose of this idea but at the moment, I am already taking on too many projects. It's a shame that there isn't something like that already, though.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

is there any type of fund that has been started for a future OCS?

I would really like to point my donations towards and OCS.

There have been times where I have considered starting up a 501© for the sole purpose of this idea but at the moment, I am already taking on too many projects. It's a shame that there isn't something like that already, though.

I have been for the past two years tinkering with some rough designs of how the mall area would look if it was converted into a stadium, and a new mall / quasi in-land chanelside deal.

If I ever get the free time to finish them before USF actually builds a stadium then I will post them and send them off to athletics.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

outside of the aluminum benches and problems getting in,  was anyone else impressed with FSU's stadium?

I was three rows from the top and the view was great.  You cannot say the same for Ray Jay.  It is built for the corporate client and is garbage for the average fan.  I would love a stadium with more of a college feel.  Obviously there would need to be suites but the old style bowl is great because everyone has a great view

It took me a while to figure out what "outline" you were referring to, but I found it.

Then I bolded the lines and made them red, added the scale marker and made it red (I'm assuming it's in feet, no?), and added a 300 foot = 100 yard blue line in the center to indicate the length of a football field.

I do believe this is the future home of our OCS, all we have to do now is find somebody to pay for it!

EDIT: (too funny! I was specifically thinking of cmhatter as i posted this, and didn't see his post until after i posted mine. must be fate! good luck in the lotto this week cmh!!)

I hate to say this but your field is a tad too small.

A football field is actually 120 yards long (don't forget the two endzones) and needs another 12 feet on either end behind the endzones before the fans start.  So you're looking at 380-400 feet in length.  Moreover, the field needs to be at least 200 feet wide to accommodate the 160 foot-wide field plus the sidelines plus coaches and team boxes.

(For reference: http://www.sportsknowhow.com/football/field-dimensions/ncaa-football-field-dimensions.html)

Now, the stands at Raymond James on either side of the field are slightly more than 200 feet wide... the same is true for Doak Campbell Stadium or the Swamp... or Papa John's Stadium or your image shows there is barely 600 feet from the parking garage to Bull Run.

That said, a smaller stadium like Bright House Networks Field (UCF) might fit there; their stands are about 180 feet.

Guest nybullsfan

It took me a while to figure out what "outline" you were referring to, but I found it.

Then I bolded the lines and made them red, added the scale marker and made it red (I'm assuming it's in feet, no?), and added a 300 foot = 100 yard blue line in the center to indicate the length of a football field.

I do believe this is the future home of our OCS, all we have to do now is find somebody to pay for it!

EDIT: (too funny! I was specifically thinking of cmhatter as i posted this, and didn't see his post until after i posted mine. must be fate! good luck in the lotto this week cmh!!)

I hate to say this but your field is a tad too small.

A football field is actually 120 yards long (don't forget the two endzones) and needs another 12 feet on either end behind the endzones before the fans start.  So you're looking at 380-400 feet in length.  Moreover, the field needs to be at least 200 feet wide to accommodate the 160 foot-wide field plus the sidelines plus coaches and team boxes.

(For reference: http://www.sportsknowhow.com/football/field-dimensions/ncaa-football-field-dimensions.html)

Now, the stands at Raymond James on either side of the field are slightly more than 200 feet wide... the same is true for Doak Campbell Stadium or the Swamp... or Papa John's Stadium or your image shows there is barely 600 feet from the parking garage to Bull Run.

That said, a smaller stadium like Bright House Networks Field (UCF) might fit there; their stands are about 180 feet.

Haha, it's not my field, all I did was make the light grey lines dark red. Those grey lines were originally put there by someone at USF. I did add the blue 100-yard indicator, though.

Yah, it's an assumption, but I'm guessing that this is the "official" USF-determined location for the eventual OCS. If it's the same size as the trampoline, I wouldn't be surprised. We got pretty much the same dome as UF, back in the day.

That said, if we had our own T Boone Pickens (or hatter wins the lottery!) I'm sure they would be open to a larger OCS, in the area you describe.

Also, as you can see in the attached, that outline is almost exactly the same size as the (rotated) Carrier Dome, so maybe that might have been the plan. Who knows? Have to ask the architect who drew the original lines...

• Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

outside of the aluminum benches and problems getting in,  was anyone else impressed with FSU's stadium?

Every OCS will have a traffic disaster after the game since road design of campuses don't put Gamedays as a priority when it's only 7 times a year. In UCF's case, the only way to avoid a jam is to park on the other side of campus by the Rec Center/Academic Village, you have to walk a ways(not bad cutting through the circular campus) but you can exit through the Research Park to Hwy 408 without issue.

At UF you're walking a ways also if you don't have a booster pass if you're just driving up and back. I like FSU's stadium, The Swamp is consistently more intimidating but I like DOAK's setup.

Also, as you can see in the attached, that outline is almost exactly the same size as the (rotated) Carrier Dome, so maybe that might have been the plan. Who knows? Have to ask the architect who drew the original lines...

You may be right:

"The Carrier Dome covers 7.7 acres and has 527,320 square feet of floor space. It is 570 feet long and 497 feet wide; the top of the Dome is 165 feet above the playing surface. "

(http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/BigEast/Syracuse/index.htm)

It only seats 51,000 , but those dimensions should allow something that small to fit there.

Although my guess is that by the time USF wants to build on campus - 2020 or so - we'll be looking at something the size of Raymond James.

• Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

The swamp hole @ UF has just been built on for years and years etc..... The swamp is really built in a hole, well it is well below ground level so when you walk in you are already rows and rows above the field. Holds noise in like nothing I have ever heard in a stadium. Doak was not intimidating at all basically an erector set with a brick facade. When you enter the swamp it is like entering a cave kinda creepy.

The Swamp has acquired a reputation for being a very difficult place for opposing teams to play, and has regularly been ranked at or near the top of lists of top home field advantages and/or best game day experiences in college football[14][15][16][17]

One of the major reasons is the stadium's design. Originally built in a shallow sinkhole, the playing surface is below ground level. Various expansions over the years have enclosed the playing area on all sides with steep stands, and the fans are within a few feet of the action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hill_Griffin_Stadium

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

First, you have to realize that parking will be ALL OVER campus... And traffic is ALWAYS a nightmare with on-campus stadia.

In truth, there "might" be enough room if you take out the parking lot, the strip of grass, and probably re-route Alumni Drive.  Football stadiums have large footprints because the lower bowls are not as steep as the stands like in the Sun Dome or Soccer stadium.

I know there is parking all over, but I remember trying to leave UCF's campus and that was brutal. You'd have to figure whenever we get an OCS that it will be bigger than their erector set.

There is plenty of room in the area I mentioned.

Yes. Trying to leave just about any On Campus stadium is brutal. USF will be better than most because Fowler and Fletcher are better.

When I created the image below, using scale maps, you can see there just isn't enough room for a stadium (this is Papa Johns Stadium at Louisville)... and I think the biggest issue is actually Bull Run - the new softball stadium means the space East-to-West will not be big enough to fit a reasonably-sized stadium.

OCS.sized.jpg

You should put RJS in your picture, since any stadium built will be closer in size to RJS than PJCS (pre expansion).  Either that or a post expansion PJCS.  Any stadium built will hold at least 58-60K.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Any stadium built will hold at least 58-60K.

There is no way that we need an OCS of that size yet. Maybe Jim's 2020 timeline would reflect that a bit better, but it's still going to be a long road for us to AVERAGE that many people for an entire season.

Bear in mind that an OCS would have to have the same type of amenities (chairback seating, club area) in order to maintain donor levels and keep the fan base happy.

Archived