Big 10 raiding BE?

cophbulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14,480
  • Days Won:  13

Big 10 says it's not so, but methinks the lady doth protest overmuch...

Rutgers is an interesting choice. Personally, I don't think it really brings the NYC market. Cuse would have been a much better choice to get NYC viewers, IMO.

Rutgers will get the BTN a lot of NJ viewers, but I don't see the urgency for NYC cable operators to add the BTN for RU. As of the end of 2008, it was not offered by Comcast (nor TWC AFAIK). And as far as UpstateNY goes, all they have to say is "Rutgers Who?"

I think it's a smokescreen to see how the NY media respond. I think they're really after Cuse, not Rutgers.

Actually, Time Warner NY/NJ offers it as part of their "Digital Sports Tier" -- my guess is having Rutgers could at least force Time Warner to add it to other bundles as Rutgers students, staff, and alumni would start lobbying for it -- adding to the demand from the Big Ten alumni living in the area.

Syracuse would not have the same effect for NYC cable demand.  Remember, the Big Ten plays a lot of games at the same time on Saturdays.  Rutgers fans have the luxury now of seeing their team play almost every game on an ESPN network (or syndicated on ESPN Regional).  However, in the Big Ten, that will not be true.  You can rest assured that Rutgers demand for games only available on the Big Ten Network will be a much louder voice than Syracuse fans.

Rutgers and Syracuse games are almost always on SportsNet NY, the official outlet for Big East TV.  http://web.sny.tv/index.jsp

Yes. Now.

If they move to the Big Ten they won't be - as Big Ten games are not syndicated.

The point is moving to the Big Ten will force Cablevision, Time Warner, and others to make the Big Ten Network more widely available.

I doubt that will force them to take it out of their sports package. Both of them already carry it.  It didn't force Dish to put it any of its basic packages.  Big 10 gets paid per subscriber, a few cents, and while there is a demand, its nowhere near big enough for it to get equal footing as ESPN which is included in basic programming packages. 

It's around 70 cents per subscriber, and it COULD change.  Dish is an international company - Cablevision cares more about local than Dish.  The demand could push cable subscribers into carrying in a broader package (like an enhanced digital) rather than the a-la-carte sports package.

LOL, how do you know how much it is? That sounds pretty high, considering Fox gets $1, well, wanted $1 and that is why Time Warner almost didn't have the Super Bowl because they were not going to play that.

All the extra channels in the $5.99 multi-sports tier on Dish, including NFL Redzone, and Big 10 gets $.70? Here are all the channels in the Mult-Sports package. I don't think Dish pays them $.70, maybe half that amount.

Altitude Sports & Entertainment

Big Ten Network

Big Ten Network Alternate 

Big Ten Network HD

COMCAST SPORTS NET CALIFORNIA

Comcast Sports Net California HD

Comcast Sports Net Chicago

Comcast Sports Net Chicago HD

Comcast Sports Net Mid-Atlantic

Comcast Sports New England

Comcast SportsNet Bay Area

ESPN Classic

FOX Sports Arizona

FOX Sports Cincinnati 427

FOX Sports Detroit 430

FOX Sports Detroit HD 5430

FOX Sports Florida 423

FOX Sports Florida HD 5423

FOX Sports Midwest HD 5418

FOX Sports Northwest 426

FOX Sports Northwest HD 5426

FOX Sports Ohio 425

FOX Sports Pittsburgh 428

FOX Sports Rocky Mountain 414

FOX Sports Rocky Mountain HD 5414

FOX Sports South 420

FOX Sports Southwest 416

FOX Sports Southwest HD

5416 Fox Sports Midwest 418

Fox Sports Net North 436

Fox Sports Prime Ticket 411

Fox Sports West 417

MSG 412

MSGPLUS 413

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network 432

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network Alternate 433

NBA TV 402

NBA TV HD 4102

NBA TV HD 9508

NBA TV HD 9509

NFL NETWORK 154

NFL NETWORK HD 4154

NFL NETWORK HD 4323

NFL NETWORK HD 4387

NFL NETWORK HD 5507

NFL NETWORK HD 9426

NFL REDZONE 155

NFL REDZONE HD

NHL Network 403

NHL Network 625

NHL Network HD 403

NHL Network HD 4103

NHL Network HD 9540

NHL Network HD 9541

New England Sports Network 434

SportsNet New York 438

SportsTime Ohio 431

Sun Sports 422

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

BTN is 70 cents a subscriber but that is in the 8 state big ten footprint.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/05/12/expansion-candidates/index.html

• Content Count:  14,480
  • Days Won:  13

BTN is 70 cents a subscriber but that is in the 8 state big ten footprint.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/05/12/expansion-candidates/index.html

Well, I guess its a good thing that Fox is the minority partner of the BTN and not Scripps. Those 2 companies hate each other.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There was no Big Ten Network back then, so there were less revenue streams. If they decline, then the Big Ten takes a different Big East program and you would then have to worry about if the Big East is going to survive losing at least 2 football playing members, if not more, when the dust clears.

Hopefully if the Big East loses 2 football teams then they wise up, start dumping basketball only schools, and start beefing up the Conference.

However since the basketball teams run the show I don't see this happening and once the SEC and ACC join the show the Big East will die a slow painful death... hopefully we are picked up by the ACC or we will be SOL.

yep!  For now the best situation for USF, is the B10 stops at 1, and only takes Missou...or at worst goes to 3 with RU.  I think the BE would add one football member for the simplicity sake.  MOre than that and all bets are off, mostly because the hoops schools rule the roost and have incessantly refused to expand past 16 members even for a 'football only' provisional member.  They're also highly against dilution, and many had heart-burn over our admittance 7 years ago.  Taking more than one from the group of Temple, Buffalo, ECU, Memphis, or UCF could cause them to cut all ties with the football side of the conference for their personal fears of bringing in to many inferior academic institutions just for the sake of a sport they get no dollars from...and trust me this is a real fear.  Those Catholic Schools with ND in toe would be fine going it alone with Olympic Sports and keeping the BE name and rights, and NCAA units in lieu of taking 2 or more schools from the aforementioned list.  They'd probably invite the football schools to continue playing Olympic sports until they found a home.....but that would not be good for a school like USF.

The best hope for USF is none or one is taken in a lowly RU, and then USF has 3-5 more years of BE visibility and paychecks to improve and grow as a program.  Then hope the ACC, and SEC get their act together on forming networks, and deciding on their next steps.  For now you can guarantee we'd never ever be invited to the SEC, smallish off-campus stadium, and with their gigantic paydays the SEC will cherry pick the best from the ACC, and/or B12...at that point if we're lucky we've shined enough to maybe make it in to a newly revamped ACC.  But trust me on this the academics will weigh just as big a part in the decision making as sports.  Some of those member schools refuse to call inferior academic institutions as their conference peers.  Look at the B10, their possible expansion selections are that for a reason...all but ND is an AAU member school (as is all current B10 members)....ND is the only school the B10 will make an exception to their rule on.  Try explaining to Duke, UNC, UVA, UNC, and Wake the importance of sharing their revenue and appeal with a USF-- within the circle of Presidents there would a major outcry in that group, and remember it's President's who make this decision not AD's, coaches, or conference commissioners, and DEFINITELY not the ignorant speculating reporters. 

USF has it's work cut out for itself to be ready for this type of move in the future.  I hope our President is up to the task. 

I agree, Pride... But this could be as much an issue for the Florida Legislature not stepping up to fund a better higher education system as it is for Judy Genshaft. 

USF has done a tremendous job expanding our research efforts (a big part of academic recognition).  Judy's goal is AAU membership for USF, so the steps she takes toward that end will help for future conference expansion - the only question now is how quickly USF can take steps to get there.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I agree, Pride... But this could be as much an issue for the Florida Legislature not stepping up to fund a better higher education system as it is for Judy Genshaft. 

USF has done a tremendous job expanding our research efforts (a big part of academic recognition).  Judy's goal is AAU membership for USF, so the steps she takes toward that end will help for future conference expansion - the only question now is how quickly USF can take steps to get there.

I agree with that...FL needs to stop worrying about being the affordable, fun-for-all, four year undergrad school and start allowing their member institutions, at least a certain percentage that are targeting research like UF, USF, and FSU to concentrate on raising tuitions significantly enough to help them improve and strive.  The fact FL doesn't really have a top 75 school is sad, and difficult.  By this point UF should be much higher rankings then it is, but they're hamstrung by the desire to be the everything undergrad school and loaded down with to many undergrads and not enough elite grads, and doctorate candidates. 

This is why our economies suffered so bad in this latest economic downturn.  Not enough economic incubators in this state, to many dollars, and brilliance is shipped to hotbeds of academic and research centers like the Research Triangle in Raleigh- Durham, Austin, TX, California, NY....sorry but this has to stop.  Let the Universities make their own decisions on growth!

We're a long way from AAU admission.  Remember AAU admission is not a pre-set checklist and you're in.  A school must be nominated and then considered for inclusion by all members and it's more qualitative then quanitative aspects that gain admission.  Uconn has been spoken about because supposedly they've been up for consideration for AAU admission but even years later still have not been officially admitted.  I think Judy's efforts on the academic side need to be maintained, and improved.  We must get to a level not just athletically, but academically, so in 3-4 years when another expansion plan is discussed for assuming the SEC, then a school like USF can be respectably considered as a peer for schools like UNC, UVA, and the like.  It will make a difference.

• Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

he sounds like a control freak

and he isnt so smart

take osu and big 10 (11 teams)  football sucks

• Content Count:  3,000
  • Days Won:  4

I'm also thinking NE, MO, and Rutgers are more of the final choices and will be the done deal later this year.

If that's all the B10 does, I don't expect the ACC or SEC to expand at all.

The Pac 10 will still probably grab Utah and Colorado though, and that will cause the Big 12 to grab BYU, TCU, and Houston to fill in the gaps.

The Big East will probably just take one team like UCF, though it would be nice if they'd grab Memphis as well and kick DePaul out (keeps it at 16 for hoops, and ups it to 9 for football). C-USA will have to fill in 3 teams (LA Tech, maybe FIU/FAU, or MTSU), and then you might see the MWC and WAC combine to make 14.

But other than that, if the SEC and ACC don't make a move, this thing will be relatively smooth and calm.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Wow...Paul T. called it "disruptive"; thanks for the help-any proactive things yet for the BE?

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

If the Big East talking expanding with c-usa or mac teams. That's not being proactive. 

Archived