LAME!!!!

thatusfguy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66
  • Days Won:  0

I'm at FSU now - Cafeterias are run by Aramark just like USF = the gay.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

So if they are the going to be used to market and sell our school then they should receive exclusive benefits which regular students do not receive . If you still say "NO" then think this how much money does the athletic programs here at USF bring into this University, community, and state?

Totally agree with what some one said earlier, These Athletes are getting scholarships to play. They do not need to worry about the aid at the University since it is  given to them. Also, if you want a perk athletes also get check this article out.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/12/leavitt-calls-usfapple-deal-extraordinary.html

The athletes are receiving apple laptop computers. Yes all 430 or athletes have received brand new Mac Book Pros. I find that a pretty cool perk to have as an Athlete that students do not get.

Also I remember seeing somewhere that a lot of the universities across the country do not make money or if they do they just break even. I believe there are only about 25 schools or so that truly make money of their athletic programs. So to say that USF athletics is bringing in a bunch of money is just false. Remember someone needs to pay the bills and what they would make of TV appearances and winning championships would be enough to pay off all the bills they have as well.

Just some food for thought

Counting only revenue generated by the athletic departments — including money from ticket sales, donations, radio/TV and marketing rights payments — the number of schools able to cover their athletic expenditures fell to 14 in 2009, down from 25 the previous year. This measure of generated revenue against total expenses is the yardstick the NCAA uses to determine whether an athletic program is self-supporting. Only seven met this benchmark during each of the five years studied: Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana State, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-04-01-college-sports-subsidies_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Wow, I thought for sure that uf was self supporting.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

Okay, I understand this whole USF "athletic dining hall" deal better now.  It will be more like a multi-function dining facility with an athletic "training table" in it.  Teams like football and basketball will maybe have a more nutritious dinner at designated times working around practices and games.  Full ride scholarship student-athletes will get meals, walk-ons and partial scholarship players will probably have to pay for the meals or if they use a meal plan pay an extra premium if the meals are deluxe with stuff like steaks and prime rib to comply with NCAA rules.  I guess the dining hall could be closed for everyone else when the athletics' training table meals are served, or the training table could be in separate part of dining hall and used while general public is served in another part of building, or maybe athletes could get their special meals and sit down at regular tables with nonathletes.  I looked at FSU's dining site and it had a little description about FSU's athletic dining hall and how it shuts down for general public when team meals are served:  http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/CSS/FloridaState/Locations/AllYouCareToEast/Restaurants/TheFiggPlayersDiningRoom.htm

I'm not sure that food is linked to the scholarship level.  I think the university is allowed to provide some meals to the atheletes regardless of scholarship.  And all meals are not necessisarily included in a "full ride".  I might be wrong about that.  Perhaps someone else can shed light on these details.

Archived