LAME!!!!

thatusfguy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,218
  • Days Won:  1

I still don't fully understand how USF's new athletic dining hall is going to operate.  I know it is going to be open to everyone, but if the athletes are to be served special training diets etc., how exactly is it going to be done with "regular" students being served too?  different hours available, different parts of the dining room, how exactly is it going to be different than the present dining facilities on campus?

I know FSU's facility is open to all for breakfast and lunch, but is only open for athlets only at dinnertime until close.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF Dining Hall & Rec Center a Step Closer 

This story originally published on USFNation.com

By Larry Weisbaum

USFNation.com

Posted May 3, 2010 

The transformation of the USF athletic village has gotten another step closer when the University held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Dining Hall and Campus Recreation Center Expansion last week.

The transformation of the USF athletic village has gotten another step closer when the University held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Dining Hall and Campus Recreation Center Expansion last week.

The $14 million dollar project provides 51,050 square feet of space for exercise and fitness facilities along with a dining/food court, a state-of-the-art student-athlete training table, meeting space and a commercial grade kitchen with catering amenities. Funds for theproject were allocated through the Capital Improvement Trust Fund (CITF).

“This is a terrific day for USF students as we deliver on a promise to provide world-class facilities to your university,†said USF President Judy Genshaft. “At USF, we believe in supporting the whole student – your mind, your body and your spirit. I can think of no better way than to provide you with the best fitness facilities to strengthen your body and a dining facility that will provide you the best of nutrition.

These facilities will be located on the east side of campus in front of the current Campus Recreation and the Sun Dome. They will serve as multi-purpose facilities for the general student population and provide space for programs to encourage and reinforce behaviors that promote a higher quality of health and well-being. Construction is scheduled for completion July 2011.

“The renovation of the current Campus Recreation Center has been very exciting for the students who are using it now,†said Eric Hunter, director of USF Campus Recreation and one of the people overseeing the project. “The fitness area square footage will be tripled in size and that is our greatest area of need. The addition of an indoor jogging track has also been highly sought for a number of years and will be utilized extensively. Overall, this expansion/renovation comes at a perfect time.â€

The Recreation Center expansion is an addition to the current USF Campus Recreation Center. The expansion to the Campus Recreation Center will include:

· Increased strength and conditioning square feet/equipment

· Increased cardiovascular exercise equipment (treadmills, ellipticals, steppers, etc) and square footage

· Increased space for group fitness classes

· Brand new indoor running lanes

· New 2-court gymnasium located to the east, adjacent to the current building

· Improved entryway into the Campus Recreation Center

The new dining hall named the South East Student Dining Facility will be attached to the northwest corner of the Sun Dome. This dining facility will feature healthy dining options, grab-n-go options and space for private dining function. It will include 250 seats with moveable walls that can divide the dining area into rooms for athletic team meetings or meals. There will be a vegan station and a fresh vegetable station, and a smoothie vendor will also be available. The facility will also be used for cooking burgers and hot dogs for Sun Dome concessions stands and providing nutritional classes.

This all part of the 35 million dollars worth of projects that will change the face of the USF athletic village, including the 50,000 square foot state-of-the-art Muma Basketball Center to be located on the south side of the Sun Dome, a new baseball stadium, softball stadium and football practice complex. Construction is slated to be completed by early 2011.

http://rutgers.scout.com/2/967620.html

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

I still don't fully understand how USF's new athletic dining hall is going to operate.  I know it is going to be open to everyone, but if the athletes are to be served special training diets etc., how exactly is it going to be done with "regular" students being served too?  different hours available, different parts of the dining room, how exactly is it going to be different than the present dining facilities on campus?

I know FSU's facility is open to all for breakfast and lunch, but is only open for athlets only at dinnertime until close.

i think you could eat there until about 5.

HOF thread

• Content Count:  329

I ate at FSU's moore cafeteria (athletic cafeteria) before they renovated in the late 2000's, the food was MUCH better than what was served in the normal on campus cafeterias.

• Content Count:  208

So if they are the going to be used to market and sell our school then they should receive exclusive benefits which regular students do not receive . If you still say "NO" then think this how much money does the athletic programs here at USF bring into this University, community, and state?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

So if they are the going to be used to market and sell our school then they should receive exclusive benefits which regular students do not receive . If you still say "NO" then think this how much money does the athletic programs here at USF bring into this University, community, and state?

Totally agree with what some one said earlier, These Athletes are getting scholarships to play. They do not need to worry about the aid at the University since it is  given to them. Also, if you want a perk athletes also get check this article out.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/12/leavitt-calls-usfapple-deal-extraordinary.html

The athletes are receiving apple laptop computers. Yes all 430 or athletes have received brand new Mac Book Pros. I find that a pretty cool perk to have as an Athlete that students do not get.

Also I remember seeing somewhere that a lot of the universities across the country do not make money or if they do they just break even. I believe there are only about 25 schools or so that truly make money of their athletic programs. So to say that USF athletics is bringing in a bunch of money is just false. Remember someone needs to pay the bills and what they would make of TV appearances and winning championships would be enough to pay off all the bills they have as well.

Just some food for thought

Counting only revenue generated by the athletic departments — including money from ticket sales, donations, radio/TV and marketing rights payments — the number of schools able to cover their athletic expenditures fell to 14 in 2009, down from 25 the previous year. This measure of generated revenue against total expenses is the yardstick the NCAA uses to determine whether an athletic program is self-supporting. Only seven met this benchmark during each of the five years studied: Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana State, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-04-01-college-sports-subsidies_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

• Content Count:  4,642

this is a good thing; it'll get more chicks over there, hopefully during a recruit's visit. win!

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Does anyone remember UK's "Wildcat Lodge"?

• Content Count:  4,016

Student athlete cafeterias (training table) are open to the public for part of the day then close to allow the athletes to eat exclusively. This is done at all universities.

The FSU example was mentioned earlier in this thread. Here are other examples that I know of:

Nebraska: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=1567498

"2. The Nebraska Training Table is open to the public at lunch, but is reserved exclusively for student-athletes and Athletic Department staff at dinner."

USC: http://www.usctrojans.com/trads/usc-galen-center.html

"The Galen Center serves as the prime dining facility for USC's varsity sports, providing training table, pre-game meals and dinner to the Trojan athletic teams. It is open to the public during the week for lunch. "

Do research before you start a thread.

Good job DC, I agree nothing worse then posters who spout off without doing a shred of research.  Also anyone that has spoken to Athletic Administration know that our 'dining facility' will be handled in much of the same way.  The semantics of 'when it's open to the general student pop' is up to the school, but the only criteria of state funding is that it 'is open at times to general student pop'.  They might just serve breakfast for the general pop and reserve the remaining day for just the student athletes....but trust me at the end of the day this will be primarily serving our over 300 student athletes.

Judy and crew are not fools at groundbreaking ceremonies they're going to talk up the general student value, don't bite the hand that feeds you, but at the end of the day the wink and nod is already there.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Okay, I understand this whole USF "athletic dining hall" deal better now.  It will be more like a multi-function dining facility with an athletic "training table" in it.  Teams like football and basketball will maybe have a more nutritious dinner at designated times working around practices and games.  Full ride scholarship student-athletes will get meals, walk-ons and partial scholarship players will probably have to pay for the meals or if they use a meal plan pay an extra premium if the meals are deluxe with stuff like steaks and prime rib to comply with NCAA rules.  I guess the dining hall could be closed for everyone else when the athletics' training table meals are served, or the training table could be in separate part of dining hall and used while general public is served in another part of building, or maybe athletes could get their special meals and sit down at regular tables with nonathletes.  I looked at FSU's dining site and it had a little description about FSU's athletic dining hall and how it shuts down for general public when team meals are served:  http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/CSS/FloridaState/Locations/AllYouCareToEast/Restaurants/TheFiggPlayersDiningRoom.htm

Archived