Carlton Mitchell to Cleveland in Rd 6

bull2bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

Shame. Very bad org doomed to be losers forever.

I was upset when the steelers passed on him for some scrub special teams wr named Antonio brown.

At least Carlton will have an opportunity to compete in clown town.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,896
  • Days Won:  3

is kicking himself for leaving.  He's fallen to the 5th round or worse.   :-[

He's still gonna make more $$$$$ in Cleveland next year than he would've at USF.

And, if he had a big year next year he would've made all of this money up on his signing bonus alone. He could've been injured all year and still been at about this draft position next year.

I was upset when the steelers passed on him for some scrub special teams wr named Antonio brown.

Agreed, I was pulling for the Steelers to take him. Heck, I think they should've taken him over the guy from SMU, lol..

• Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

Agreed, I was pulling for the Steelers to take him. Heck, I think they should've taken him over the guy from SMU, lol..

I'm a huge steeler fan

Yeah Sanders from SMU is just like a guy the Steelers already have... mike Wallace... I wanted a big tall rangy receiver

to be a nice vertical threat.

Wish steelers woulda nabbed Carlton

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

April 24, 2010

Mitchell: 'All I needed was an opportunity'

USF receiver Carlton Mitchell said it during the draft process, and after a long wait Saturday afternoon, he said it again -- he didn't care where he was drafted.

"There was all this talk about second round, third round, but all I needed was an opportunity," said Mitchell, drafted in the sixth round by the Cleveland Browns. "I could have been the No. 1 pick or a free agent, I would have been happy. I'm very excited about this. This is a true blessing for me."

Mitchell said he talked extensively with Cleveland through the draft process -- his agent had him learn the names of all 32 NFL general managers, and the Browns' Tom Heckert was the first he learned. He worked out in recent months with former Browns Donte Stallworth and Brady Quinn, and said he likes his chances to make an impact with Cleveland.

"I'm just looking to go in and start working right away," he said.

Mitchell admitted it was "a long day," waiting through two and a half rounds Saturday after some projections had him going in early rounds Friday night.

He'll report for rookie minicamp Thursday, and the Browns asked him for three jersey numbers. Mitchell, who wore No. 2 at USF, said his first choice was 12 (because it has two in it), then 11 ("because one plus one is two," he explained), and then 17 -- his cousin and former Gaither teammate, Chris Bonner, wore 7 at Florida Atlantic.

Posted by Greg Auman at 04:27:23 PM on April 24, 2010 in Draft , Football | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/04/mitchell-all-i-needed-was-an-opportunity.html

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

He's still gonna make more $$$$$ in Cleveland next year than he would've at USF.

And, if he had a big year next year he would've made all of this money up on his signing bonus alone. He could've been injured all year and still been at about this draft position next year.

Or,

He could've been injured and never played again.

Isn't minimum wage in the NFL around $200k.  I don't many college grads who do that well.

Or,

Isn't minimum wage in the NFL around $200k.  I don't many college grads who do that well.

Or,

He could get injured at practice with the Browns like T-Mac did with the Pats and he gets cut from the team. An injury he could've avoided by staying at USF. Injury what if's are non-sense.

Minimum wage I think is $350K. It's not hard to understand that getting (I'll make it up) a $1-million dollar signing bonus next year, or a $1-million wage that it would've been smarter to stay in school.

I don't care about the decision he made, he'll be a wealthy man either way if he manages to stick in the NFL.

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

Or,

Or,

He could get injured at practice with the Browns like T-Mac did with the Pats and he gets cut from the team. An injury he could've avoided by staying at USF. Injury what if's are non-sense.

Minimum wage I think is $350K. It's not hard to understand that getting (I'll make it up) a $1-million dollar signing bonus next year, or a $1-million wage that it would've been smarter to stay in school.

I don't care about the decision he made, he'll be a wealthy man either way if he manages to stick in the NFL.

A $1M bonus is  2nd round money.

You had to be a top 4 WR to be drafted there this year.

Mardy Gilyard, who was a top 10 kick returner, top 10 punt returner and top 10 WR in college, was drafted in the 4th round this year.

Mitchell was not going to work his way into a top 4 receiver next year.

Stick with the browns this year and he gets paid good money to learn from some of the best coaches. start the clock on free agency and look to cash in on his 2nd contract.

Teams are learning that you can find a good wr without having to draft them early. Look at Miles Austin or Colston. Look at the mess detroit got in drafting all those bum receivers with their #1. Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Charles Rodgers.

I bet Oakland realizes it now after paying heyward-bey like 10 times the amount they paid for Murphy and got 3 times less production.

Just because 4 WRs got picked in the first 2 rds doesn't mean it'll happen next year. Most analysts were shocked at what went down regarding the WRs (just look at the mocks).

I don't think anyone would be surprised with CM being a 2nd rd pick next year if he's indeed legit.

That said, good luck in Cleveland hopefully the organization can turn itself around under new management.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

We can play what ifs all day, but the fact remains, he's going to make more $$$$$ this year than most college grads will in nearly five years plus.

It's hard to call that a stupid move.

Archived